Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dread Rings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  21:54:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the GHotR narrows it down further:

quote:
106 DR Year of the Adamantine Spiral
Crusaders of Myrkul from the Castle of Al’hanar attack and (temporarily) destroy the Everlasting Wyrm, the dracolich that had been guarding the prison of the demon lord Eltab [–75, 202]. While plundering the dracolich’s hoard, the followers of Myrkul discover the demon and, in exchange for ninety-nine years of service to the Church of Myrkul, agree to release Eltab from his binding. With Eltab’s aid, the followers of Myrkul seize control of the city of Shandaular in the Council Hills and establish the theocracy of Eltabranar, encompassing most of the Eastern Shaar.

Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, and Malar all ascended at the same time (or so the story goes), so I'd assume they'd all be gods in DR 106.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 09 Jul 2013 21:55:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11803 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  22:00:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the ascension of Bane, recommend you read this thread.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8431

Chief amongst these entries is this from "Lands of Intrigue, Tethyr" pg 27

"Rumors flew fast and furious during the year of Hostile Hails (-88 DR) about the blasphemous activities of Alaric, one of Clan Fyrson's young nobles, and his cohorts, blamed for piracty, theft, fraud, and the worship of dark gods such as Bane and Myrkul."

Also this info
- - fact: the Dark Three destroyed Borem in the Year of Boiling Moats (-359 DR);
- - fact: the Dark Three defeated Haask and Hargut in the Year of Craven Words (-350 DR);

So, Bane and Myrkul's ascension was somewhere between -350 DR and -88 DR. We may have gotten narrowed more at one point... not sure. One thing I'd always wondered was whether Mellifleur's ascension was an unintentional consequence of Jergal's handing down of power or whether it came later when Bane was instilling a Banelich (i.e. it would tickle me if Mellifleur attained divinity via magical ritual PRIOR to Karsus and Karsus knew about it).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  14:27:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may have not been an immediate thing - they may have been destroying 'lost gods' for some time, before they acquired enough power for their own ascension (when they finally challenged Jergal). It could have even taken a bit of time after they defeated Jergal - they may have just been demigods (Exarchs) for awhile, until they became well known.

Pin-pointing the exact date for them might be like trying to give an exact date of 'the fall of the Roman Empire'. Some of their followers may have even worshiped them (thought they were a true god) before they attained actual godhood. It gets a bit hazy where those three are concerned.

Malar, on the other hand, had always been a god - he fought in the 'godwar' against the Seldarine, which definitely predated the Eladrin's arrival on Toril.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  16:21:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Malar, on the other hand, had always been a god - he fought in the 'godwar' against the Seldarine, which definitely predated the Eladrin's arrival on Toril.

Hence why I said "story". According to the link from before, Malar got the beast portfolio since he was last in the contest with the Dark Three. *shrug*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  20:43:41  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hence why I said "story". According to the link from before, Malar got the beast portfolio since he was last in the contest with the Dark Three. *shrug*
Actually that isn't what the Dark Three story says. It says that he was still left with only beast as he didn't win any additional part during the contest. So he left with nothing more and was still the deity he already was before entering the contest
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  13:12:20  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story implies that Malar was already a god, he was visiting Jergal when the trio of Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul were fighting for dominance over Jergal's power. When he discovered they were contesting for such power, he tried to halt the competition so he could participate for part of the prize. They tricked him and divided Jergal's portfolios among themselves, following a suggestion of Jergal himself.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: