Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Using Evard's Shadow (Dungeon #192) in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  18:16:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So here's the synopsis:

"Evard lived for a time near the village of insert Realm's town here, where he constructed a manor that existed both in the world and in the Shadowfell. During the many years since the wizard last visited the mansion, its decaying reflection has imprisoned his shadow, a dangerous creature given life during a failed experiment with the stuff of pure darkness. Long years of captivity with no company but a ragged band of Evard’s former servants, coupled with the fragmented memories inherited at its creation, have convinced the maddened shadow that it is Evard and have fostered within it an abiding hatred of those who remain free.

It plans to gain its freedom and its revenge in a single grand gambit: By corrupting Evard’s neglected wards, it will force a shadowfall that will plunge the lands around the manor into the chill embrace of the Shadowfell."

So after my little group gets through the adventures featured in the FRCG and the Scepter Tower of Spellguard adventure, I'm probably going to do this adventure. Problem is, I'm not sure whre to place it. The campaign has been taking place in The North, and north-Western Heartlands, the Silver Marches, etc...

So what I need is a place where the Shadowfell might be resurging, possibly some Shadovar activity or something like that.

Any ideas??

Edited by - Diffan on 28 Jul 2011 19:15:24

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  19:42:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this evil Evard (aka Evard the Black) of Greyhawk, archmagical nemesis of Mordenkainen and creator of the delightfully infamous spell Evard's black tentacles?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  21:04:50  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Is this evil Evard (aka Evard the Black) of Greyhawk, archmagical nemesis of Mordenkainen and creator of the delightfully infamous spell Evard's black tentacles?

Aye, that'd be the one. The creator all those Evard spells and other shadowy/necromantic goodness. There is this write-up in Dungeon magazine detailing a mansion of his that he's long abandonded and I was hoping for some suggestions on where to put it in the Realms.

It's a level 3 to 5 character adventure that they explore his mansion and them being so low a level, I was hoping to put it closer to the areas they're currently exploring. Their base of operations is currently Loudwater and they've yet to complete all the quests there and I have plans to send them to Scepter Tower of Spellguard. Afterwards, I was hoping on putting them through Evard's Mansion.

So....suggestions on where to put it? Currently they're in the Siver Marches so I'd guess anywhere in a 100 mile radius wouldn't be too far from them. Because the Empire of Netheril is so close (an agent is even in Loudwater), I'd assume they'd have some sort of hand in the matter or even some Zhent agents (or another evil group that has links to Shadow/Necrotic magic).
Go to Top of Page

Stormlord
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  21:47:44  Show Profile Send Stormlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Diffan,

Perhaps you can adapt the village of Hespheira near Waterdeep to suit your needs. You may read about it on page 14 in the second web enhancement for City of Splendors: Waterdeep found here.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  00:25:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stormlord

Greetings Diffan,

Perhaps you can adapt the village of Hespheira near Waterdeep to suit your needs. You may read about it on page 14 in the second web enhancement for City of Splendors: Waterdeep found here.

Not a bad idea. That should be do-able since one of the character is from Waterdeep to begin with. I can also draw them there via the Dark Creeper agent in Loudwater. Plan is the Shadovar are looking for the once-thought destroyed Starry Gnosis. After it's destruction in Cormyr (Wheloon exactly), little was known what happened afterwards. As Wheloon became more and more entrenched with Shar-based activities and the town was isolated, someone escaped with the shattered remain of the Starry Gnosis.

Since then, it's passed quite a few hands and somehow found it's way near Silverymoon. While it's still a mystery on who fixed the artifact, it's reconstruction has occured. Now the Shadovar want it back to re-start their assimilation process in the various areas they're present and they'll need the Starry Gnosis to do that.

The Starry Gnosis is residing in Evard's Mansion and with Evard's Shade.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  01:27:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Diffan

Because the Empire of Netheril is so close (an agent is even in Loudwater), I'd assume they'd have some sort of hand in the matter or even some Zhent agents (or another evil group that has links to Shadow/Necrotic magic).
I think you've answered your own question. I would suggest Evard's abandoned mansion was buried under the shifting sands of the Anauroch or hidden through magic ... and recent events (Time of Troubles, Spellplague, return of Shade, Phaerimm incursion through the Sharn wall, whatever) has somehow unearthed and revealed its location ...

Of course the players are deployed by FOG (Forces Of Good) to the mansion. Plus of course other characters are deployed by FOE to the mansion, perhaps the Zhents as you suggest. Perhaps also the Cult of the Dragon, Harpers, Shadovar, Red Wizards, and really any other meddlers you can drag along on this merry expedition. Spies, swords, and sorcery galore!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  03:20:45  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it too late, or can I offer a suggestion?

I once ran a sort of haunted mansion adventure in the hamlet of Mornbryn's Shield. It has the advantage of being small, and being near the confluence of two Northern rivers: the Surbrin and the Laughingflow. It's rumored to hold a long-hidden treasure, but the surrounding rocks contain a certain type of unusual and hard leaden stone that prevents easy magical detection.

Anyway, the reason I liked it most was because (natural) howling winds flow off the Evermoors and the place generates a (natural) deep fog that conceals monsters (most often trolls) until they're almost on top of you. Because of the moisture and winds, fire and sound are hampered as well. Nothing creepier than damp stone ruins, I say. And who knows, if you're running in 4E time (I think you've said before you run 4E), you can make it into a true ghost village. Perfect setting for a mage's mansion that's halfway into the Shadowfell. And what a great place for Shadowvar spies. Maybe they were interested in studying the magic-inhibiting properties of the stone in the region, and happened upon the mansion. Seeing that it was part shadow already, it's something of a mystery for them to solve as well. You could use the Shadowvar as a red herring for a while, giving clues that it's some Netherese plot or something, then -oho!- they get sucked into the Shadowfell.

I haven't got the issue with this adventure, so I don't know if any of this would work for you, but maybe there's something in what I did for my players that you could re-use.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  12:55:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Arik: The sands of Anauroch is a pretty decent idea as well. Possibly Evard use plane-travel to visit the Realms during the height of Netheril's expansive empire? And now that the Anauroch is gone, replaced with fertile land, his mansion reappeared. Definitly some ideas there. And thanks for the idea of using the Harpers. I think they'll be incorporated in the adventure (possibly even as antagonists).

@ Etheron: Mornbryn's Shield does sound like an interesting place to set Evard's Mansion. I like the fact that it's out of the way and not too far from Loudwater (or Waterdeep) and the article does mention that there is a small town that is very close to the Mansion that has the possibility of being pulled into the Shadowfell (Plane of Shadow).

Well, with a bunch of good areas to look at I've now got a bunch of ideas. The old areas of the Anauroch has it's richness in the lore of Netheril and more than enough good reason for the Shadovar to go there. The fact that I'm tying the Starry Gnosis to the Mansion allows me to practically place it anywhere though.

Placing it near Waterdeep (the village of Hespheira) works well with one of the character's backrounds and the close proximity of Waterdeep allows additional adventures that can be had in the City of Splendors. There's always some great threat to the city and I can pretty much do any city-based adventure there.

Mornbryn's Shield is great because of it's close proximity to Loudwater and the off the beaten path location works well for Evard's Mansion (I doubt he wants to be disturbed much). Also, because the Mansion is being pulled into the Shadowfell, a town that small would be asking any and every adventurer to aid them.

Thanks all for some great ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  17:00:52  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do decide to go with Mornbryn's Shield, there's a nice write-up for it in the Volo Guide to the North.

Cheers!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  21:45:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the mansion and neighbouring town isn't being pulled into the shadowfell, but rather out of it?

[Edit]

You might even have a chance to employ the Shadovar as heroic good guys.

I can't really see a lot of Zhent activity near the general area of Waterdeep, unless it happens to involve one of their attempted caravan monopolies. Those areas of the North are notorious for having an elf hidden behind every tree, and a Harper hidden behind every elf, and a Chosen hidden behind every Harper.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 Jul 2011 21:50:26
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  22:20:14  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Building some on Arik's idea, what if the shadowvar were the first on the scene to discover the mansion, and have set up devices to aid them in a ritual to pull the mansion back into our reality... maybe even open a permanent gateway to the shadowfell?

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  03:44:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really intrigued about the Shadovar being the good guys and possibly the Harpers being the bad (as they both oppose each other)? See, I love conflicting interests with shades of grey (no pun intended). Just because the Shadovar are pulling the town out of the Shadowfell doesn't mean the townsfolk are bad or evil. Of course, the Harpers will want to stop this PRONTO, because nothing from the Shadowfell is either good nor wholesome.

So the PCs get caught up in the affair and have to decide which side is "the better choice". Of course the Shades don't look good at all, and it will probably appear as some plot to further their goals (which it does, sorta). The Harpers are going to look like the lone-hero defending the Realms against an impossible threat with dire consequences. Yet the townsfolk are the ones truly in trouble. They've suffered for "X" amount of years in the Shadowfell and just can't hold back the Darkness any longer. Evard's Shade, however, has no qualms about returning to Faerûn because his plan is to make a permanent gate between the Shadowfell and the Material Plane.

So the PCs want to save the town and the people inside, thus helping the town get back to Faerûn. This will aid the Shadovar. But they want to keep Evard's shade and the Starry Gnosis from becoming a threat in the area, which aids the Harpers. Both the Harpers and the Shades will only want "Absolutes".

So....how does one go about winning the day without angering the Shades, angering the Harpers and complete the Quest??
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  04:23:29  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps by doing something really unexpected. Add one more element: a thoroughly evil malaugrym. This malaugrym could be cloaked in the form of a townsperson or someone else that's trustworthy. Perhaps he's even the one who gives the PCs their mission. He also wants the town brought out of the shadowfell, and perhaps he's the one that will sabotage the Shadowvars' devices such that it will create a stable, permanent gateway there. After all, the malaugrym use shadow as an intermediary between wherever it is they come from and their arrival in Faerun.

The Starry Gnosis, change this item by giving it an additional secret history. For many centuries, it was indeed a Sharran artifact, imbued with shadow weave energy. But with the spellplague and the collapse of shadow weave magic, its true power returned as the item was cleansed of Sharran evil. It is, in reality, an ancient Selunian artifact that was captured millenia ago and turned to the purpose of evil by Sharran priests and mages. Now free of the corrupting energies, the activating phrase "knowledge lies between the stars" activates its original powers: starlight emanates from the crystalline sphere and banishes all darkness (even magical darkness) within a 30ft radius. Additionally, if the holder concentrates on a single individual within that radius, a powerful telepathic effect allows the user to delve that person's mind for any knowledge they wish. It might even be painful or damaging to a shadow-kin. Secrets are revealed, lies are made plain, and truth is known. Originally, this device was used by Selunian priests to ferret out Sharran spies and saboteurs in the old Shoon Empire, but it was so successful that the item itself became a target. Ultimately, after it was corrupted by Shar, it ended up in the Temple of Old Night as a trophy. Then over the years, even the Sharrans forgot its true history.

So the purified Selunian Starry Gnosis is something that the malaugrym, the Shadowvar, and Evard's shadow all want to see destroyed, but only the malaugrym might know what it can do now... or maybe they all still think it's a shadow-weave item. Perhaps the Harpers know something of its true history and are tight-lipped about it to the point of being a huge pain in the PCs' butts. In a critical moment, maybe one of the shadowy factions activates the item with the intent of using it against a PC or a harper, and it actually kills the shadow-kin in a display of twinkly starlight. And then, mayhem and panic!

So many ways to take this, really...

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 30 Jul 2011 04:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  14:18:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Perhaps by doing something really unexpected. Add one more element: a thoroughly evil malaugrym. This malaugrym could be cloaked in the form of a townsperson or someone else that's trustworthy. Perhaps he's even the one who gives the PCs their mission. He also wants the town brought out of the shadowfell, and perhaps he's the one that will sabotage the Shadowvars' devices such that it will create a stable, permanent gateway there. After all, the malaugrym use shadow as an intermediary between wherever it is they come from and their arrival in Faerun.

An interesting idea. Though I don't know if the Malaugrym is an appropriate enemy for the PCs, espically because of their low level. While there is no official write-up for them in 4E, a conversion could pose some problems. I could use an Abberant creature and just call it a Malaugrym (changing it's features to fit that of the original beast) but I don't know how well that'll work either. I'll have to pour over some old material I have on them, mostly stuff from the Monsters of Faerûn book. Definitly a good idea though, so my thanks!

quote:

The Starry Gnosis, change this item by giving it an additional secret history. For many centuries, it was indeed a Sharran artifact, imbued with shadow weave energy. But with the spellplague and the collapse of shadow weave magic, its true power returned as the item was cleansed of Sharran evil. It is, in reality, an ancient Selunian artifact that was captured millenia ago and turned to the purpose of evil by Sharran priests and mages. Now free of the corrupting energies, the activating phrase "knowledge lies between the stars" activates its original powers: starlight emanates from the crystalline sphere and banishes all darkness (even magical darkness) within a 30ft radius. Additionally, if the holder concentrates on a single individual within that radius, a powerful telepathic effect allows the user to delve that person's mind for any knowledge they wish. It might even be painful or damaging to a shadow-kin. Secrets are revealed, lies are made plain, and truth is known. Originally, this device was used by Selunian priests to ferret out Sharran spies and saboteurs in the old Shoon Empire, but it was so successful that the item itself became a target. Ultimately, after it was corrupted by Shar, it ended up in the Temple of Old Night as a trophy. Then over the years, even the Sharrans forgot its true history.

So the purified Selunian Starry Gnosis is something that the malaugrym, the Shadowvar, and Evard's shadow all want to see destroyed, but only the malaugrym might know what it can do now... or maybe they all still think it's a shadow-weave item. Perhaps the Harpers know something of its true history and are tight-lipped about it to the point of being a huge pain in the PCs' butts. In a critical moment, maybe one of the shadowy factions activates the item with the intent of using it against a PC or a harper, and it actually kills the shadow-kin in a display of twinkly starlight. And then, mayhem and panic!

So many ways to take this, really...

I love this idea. However, I think the Starry Gnosis will have to be converted (Shar to Selûne) mid-adventure. What I think will happen is that both sides are going to attempt to use it. The Harpers do know it's aged history but so to do the Shadovar. So it's a lot like a Race to get the artifact. Evard's Shadow (and to a lesser extent the Shades and the townsfolk) wants to use it's awesome power to breach the Material Plane. The townsfolk would love nothing more than to leave the Shadowfell behind. The Shades just want the artifact for themselves (they could care less if they save people or if Evard's shade gets his permament plane-shift). The Harpers know of the artifact and the Ritual that will cleanse it, but they don't want to aid anyone in the matter. So they're pretty much like thieves.

So the PCs are recruited to enter the Mansion, defeat the possible Evard Shade, and retreive the Starry Gnosis. When the PCs accomplish this, a raging battle between Shadovar forces and Harpers is going on outside. The PCs have a few options: 1.) Choose a side (either Harper or Shadovar) and help in the battle. 2.) Choose neither, and wait for the battle to end (thus a percentage die will be roll to determind who's the victor). This, however, will be harder for the PCs because the winner will then want to take the Starry Gnosis and possibly kill the PCs for not helping. 3.) Attempt to convert the Starry Gnosis themselves. Possibly by using various skill checks, a Skill Challenge and/or with a Ritual.

Other possible suggestions on resolving the problems?
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  17:57:09  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
An interesting idea. Though I don't know if the Malaugrym is an appropriate enemy for the PCs, espically because of their low level. While there is no official write-up for them in 4E, a conversion could pose some problems. I could use an Abberant creature and just call it a Malaugrym (changing it's features to fit that of the original beast) but I don't know how well that'll work either. I'll have to pour over some old material I have on them, mostly stuff from the Monsters of Faerûn book. Definitly a good idea though, so my thanks!

In MoF, they were just 5HD monsters. They used to be amplified with character levels most of the time (esp those fighting Elminster), but not always. Perhaps this one is weakened, having been cut off from its home (maybe it's been trapped since the spellplague?). And even if 5th is too high for a fight atm, maybe he could be a recurring villain.

quote:
So the PCs are recruited to enter the Mansion, defeat the possible Evard Shade, and retreive the Starry Gnosis. When the PCs accomplish this, a raging battle between Shadovar forces and Harpers is going on outside. The PCs have a few options: 1.) Choose a side (either Harper or Shadovar) and help in the battle. 2.) Choose neither, and wait for the battle to end (thus a percentage die will be roll to determind who's the victor). This, however, will be harder for the PCs because the winner will then want to take the Starry Gnosis and possibly kill the PCs for not helping. 3.) Attempt to convert the Starry Gnosis themselves. Possibly by using various skill checks, a Skill Challenge and/or with a Ritual.

Other possible suggestions on resolving the problems?

Okay, a couple questions...

Do you want the town and/or townspeople to survive, is it necessary?

Do you want the PCs to actually get and keep the Starry Gnosis for a future purpose?

Can you give me a basic idea of what happens in the Evard / shadowfell adventure? (I don't have DDI)

It occurs to me that maybe the real Evard pushed part of his mansion into the Shadowfell in order to keep the artifact flooded with Sharran/shadow energy. Moving it into the real world might be enough to let any remaining shadow weave energy to dissipate, and that's how it's purified. The PCs might have to find and complete a complex ritual in order to sever its link to the shadowfell... perhaps whatever Evard did to it keeps the Starry Gnosis "bolted down" to the shadowfell, and severing that link will also allow the whole town and mansion to be pulled back into Faerun (with the help of the Shadowvar and their devices).

If part of the problem is that the PCs exit the shadowfell too close to both the shadowvar and the Harpers, and either one could bully the Starry Gnosis away from them, maybe have one of the adventurers stay behind (or all of them) in order to complete the rite. Then have them use a different exit... as travel in the shadowfell even a short distance might put their exit point on Faerun many miles away from the returned town. Perhaps they find out where the real (non-shadow) Evard went, and follow his trail. Then both the shadowvar and the Harpers would try to track them down.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 30 Jul 2011 17:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  19:22:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In MoF, they were just 5HD monsters. They used to be amplified with character levels most of the time (esp those fighting Elminster), but not always. Perhaps this one is weakened, having been cut off from its home (maybe it's been trapped since the spellplague?). And even if 5th is too high for a fight atm, maybe he could be a recurring villain.

Hmmmm, good thoughts. Possibly it's just not a very strong creature for it's kind so it uses deceptions and illusions to get what it wants instead of strong force of arms or magic. I'll check out the MoF too.

quote:

Okay, a couple questions...

Do you want the town and/or townspeople to survive, is it necessary?

Not necessarily pivotial to the Plot of the over-all story. Saving the town will benefit the PCs in terms of Story-awarded XP and a place where they'd be treated as heroes. Free lodging and food, 30% discount on all non-magical items. 15% discount on all magical items. If they don't save the town, it'll be forced back into the Shadowfell where the townsfolk will most assuredly succomb to the darkness and probably turn into undead beings. It's not so much what I want to happen to the town, but what the PCs do for or against the town.

quote:

Do you want the PCs to actually get and keep the Starry Gnosis for a future purpose?

Hmmm, well the homebrew version I have is an Heroic Tier Artifact and if they use it as it (Shar-influenced) then it'll probably corrupt the one using it the most for evil purposes. If they purify the artifact, it could be beneficial, but I'll intone that having it will mark them as a target for more powerful organizations (Shadovar, Cult of the Dragon, and random Mages) to obtain the artifact. Probably at the cost of their lives. And, depending on if they fail the conversion of the artifact, it could be destoryed accidentally, lol. That'll be up to the PCs rolls and the possible Skill Challenge I put forth.

quote:

Can you give me a basic idea of what happens in the Evard / shadowfell adventure? (I don't have DDI)

Aside from the Synopsis, here's some additional information- "When the party members reach the study, they discover a glowing stone (I'm going to use the Starry Gnosis here) in the center of the room—an arcane focus that permits travel between the mansion and its Shadowfell reflection. Although the stone’s purpose is apparent, its method of activation is not, and the adventurers must use their knowledge and ingenuity to coerce the device into forming a connection to the other side. Due to the poor condition of the stone and the advanced nature of the spells involved, the characters have no way of knowing whether the portal is safe, but they must cross over if they hope to solve the mystery and save the area from the Shadowfell’s dark embrace.

Upon arriving in the Shadowfell, the characters feel the full force of its soul-numbing bleakness descend on them. Fighting the minions of Evard’s shadow while struggling against their own flagging spirits, they press on to reach an intact tower, the mirror of a collapsed structure in the world. Here lurks Evard’s cast-off shadow. When the adventurers arrive, it is attempting to discern the perfect time to strike at Evard’s neglected wards and channel Shadowfell energy through the weak point between the
worlds.

If the shadow is destroyed, its shadowfall-causing scheme dies with it. The flow of Shadowfell influence through the weak point is cut off, and the creeping gloom emanating from the ruined mansion in the
world rolls back and returns to its source.
"

So what I'm propsing (and from the help you guys have given me) is that Evard's shadow wants to return to Faerûn to open the gate (instead of going to the Shadowfell to open the gate). The town, which is on the material plane for the adventure, is actually in the Shadowfell and wants back. The Shadovar/Harper element adds additional lore, incorporates a more "Realmsian" theme, and puts the characters in a conundrum as to which one is the better choice to back.

So possibly keeping the Starry Gnosis (in it's original, Shadow-state) in the mansion then destroying it is a possibity of saving the town while folding the mansion back into the plane of shadow. Converting the Starry Gnosis will sever the connection to the plane of shadow, shut down the gate, and keep the Mansion in-tact (possibly as a new base-of-operations for the PCs).

quote:

It occurs to me that maybe the real Evard pushed part of his mansion into the Shadowfell in order to keep the artifact flooded with Sharran/shadow energy. Moving it into the real world might be enough to let any remaining shadow weave energy to dissipate, and that's how it's purified. The PCs might have to find and complete a complex ritual in order to sever its link to the shadowfell... perhaps whatever Evard did to it keeps the Starry Gnosis "bolted down" to the shadowfell, and severing that link will also allow the whole town and mansion to be pulled back into Faerun (with the help of the Shadowvar and their devices).

That's what I'm thinking, though I don't think the Starry Gnosis is as fragile an artifact not to function outside the Shadowfell. But same rules could apply, using it as a key or focus to opening/closing the portal between planes. The PCs will have to decide to destroy it, convert it, or steal it for themselves. Of course, all of these will have consequences.

quote:

If part of the problem is that the PCs exit the shadowfell too close to both the shadowvar and the Harpers, and either one could bully the Starry Gnosis away from them, maybe have one of the adventurers stay behind (or all of them) in order to complete the rite. Then have them use a different exit... as travel in the shadowfell even a short distance might put their exit point on Faerun many miles away from the returned town. Perhaps they find out where the real (non-shadow) Evard went, and follow his trail. Then both the shadowvar and the Harpers would try to track them down.

A good possibiliy in case they manage to P.O. both parties. I think, however, that they'll choose a side to fight on or sie with.

And thanks again for the great ideas. This started out as a simple, Run-As-It-Is adventure, but then turned into something much more complicated, intriguing, and fun that involves a LOT of Realms elements. So much appreciated to making this sooo much better.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  19:57:26  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, that really sounds like a lot of fun. You'll have to let us know what all happens with your group.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  12:50:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'll do just that. This Monday they're going to confront the Lady of Shadows (a Dark Creeper and Shadovar spy). Defeating her will alert them to the fact that Shades are investigating areas in/around Loudwater about searching for the artifact. This is sort of the beginning hook to get them enticed.

Afterwards, when they finish up some other "in town" quests and possibly the Menace of the Icy Spire adventure or Scepter Tower of Spellgard they should be ready enough to take on Evard's Mansion. It's shaping up to be a really fun low-heroic tier campaign.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000