Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aquatic elves in Myth Drannor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tenketsu
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  01:42:00  Show Profile Send tenketsu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. I'm a fairly new DM (I've run little games here and there in different systems over the years, but never completed a campaign), and I could use some help with Realmslore. I'm running my first real attempt at a FR campaign, and it's set in Myth Drannor. I had an idea for an adventure in Halpaeril’s Tower, with it being magically full of water. But the PCs don't have access to any method of dealing with being underwater, and so I thought maybe I could have them gather Underwater Action tokens or somesuch from the bottom of Glyrryrl’s Pool, left there by elves visiting aquatic elves who lived there.

Which brings me to my question--is there any information that would indicate aquatic elves actually living there or information that would indicate that they specifically didn't live there? I guess I could still have Underwater Action items around there anyway, just from elves enjoying the pool, but I prefer the idea of them doing at least a little exploration of aquatic elf homes without having to have them trek all the way to Lake Sember.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  03:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the most relevant passage I could find from Cormanthyr (pg 95):

quote:
Alu'Tel'Quessir, through the use of clerical magic, also began to show up in temples to Deep Sashelas in Myth Drannor and Old Elven Court beginning in The Year of Seven Stones (335 DR) as more aquatic elves began to realize the splendor that was Cormanthyr.

So it looks like there's at least some coming in and out of Myth Drannor for several centuries before it falls.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 07 Jul 2011 16:46:23
Go to Top of Page

tenketsu
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  13:41:10  Show Profile Send tenketsu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I couldn't remember where or what exactly, but from my look through either Ruins of Myth Drannor or Cormanthyr I knew that sea elves were involved with Myth Drannor somehow... But I couldn't seem to find any real information on Glyrryl's Pool, so I thought maybe someone else would know more about if it was suitable for this. That passage has definitely helped, though, because it would make sense for a temple to Deep Sashelas to be underwater (tried to find out if he even had temples above-water, with no luck), and the only place in Myth Drannor suitable for that seems to be Glyrryl's Pool. So, if all his temples are underwater, then that's indirect confirmation of the Pool as the location of one, and hence an even better site. Oh, I should mention, this campaign is set in DR 1368. I just realized I may've given the impression that I was running an Arcane Age campaign.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2011 :  18:16:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Aquatic Elves lived in Cormanthyr, yes. As has been pointed out, Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves specifically mentioned Aquatic Elves among the residents of the empire. Looking at a historical timeline, in 715 DR, Year of Hungry Jaws, we know that Aquatic Elves fleeing the destruction of Myth Drannor immigrated to Serôs- enough Elves to spark fears that a new Aryselmar might be formed. So, seemingly, there was indeed a somewhat considerable population of Aquatic Elves in Cormanthyr, or in the seas around it, associated with it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2011 :  02:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, LK, those elves in 715 were actually moon, gold, and green elves fleeing Myth Drannor's fall. They transformed themselves into aquatic elves via the Sashelan Glass and provided an influx of power to the sub-sea kingdoms. But they were surface refugees, not fleeing aquatics.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2011 :  23:59:16  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sea elves I believe were far more prevalent in Semberholme,
due to the lake being deep enough for habitats to be built.
Also, the pool was dug instead of being there naturally. I think
it's most likely not deep enough to be comfortable for sea elves
to be in.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2011 :  16:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's less a matter of depth (sea elves generally live within a hundred feet of the surface, and can't survive the crushing depths) and more a matter of the fresh water. Sea elves are one of the very few aquatic races that can breath fresh or brackish water (koalinth being another), but it is neither as good for them as their native salt water, nor does it particularly taste good. Semberholme and Lake Sember would be seen as refuges, but most sea elves would prefer to live in salt water.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000