Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lich, Sammaster and resurection
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  11:50:21  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

I posted it in a other topic but i though it might be better to make a specific topic.

I would have two questions about Sammaster.

1) It is said that he was destroyed in 1285 DR then, he came back again almost one century later as a lich. Why didn't he came back before? He is a lich with a phylactery, he could have came back a long time ago no?

2 )The first time he was slained by Lathander avatar, how did he came back to unlife since he wasn't a lich with a phylactery at that time?

Thanks for your anwsers.

Elglanto.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  12:37:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the quick answer is things happen.

How they happen gets a little harder to explain.

There can be at least two explanations.
1) anon changes based on new material, the dreaded retcon.
2) A deity for some reason allowed or granted lich status for own goals.

Oh there clearly can be other options, just my current offer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  15:36:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) My thinking is that he did come back sooner. He was just doing a lot of stuff in the background, laying the groundwork for the events of the Rogue Dragon trilogy. He didn't actually reveal himself to anyone until it was time to start the show.

2) He wasn't yet a lich, but he had prepared a phylactery. He had prepared for his demise, and had everything set up for a planned return. If you consult the tome Cult of the Dragon (it's a free download; see the thread Previous Edition Downloads -- Current Links), the details are in there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31748 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  16:10:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 -- I think a combination of Kentinal and Wooly's answers could be a possibility. Maybe it just hasn't been touched on in canon material, which leaves the door open for suggestions like Wooly's... because the event is so vague anyway.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jun 2011 16:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  02:53:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elglanto

1) It is said that he was destroyed in 1285 DR then, he came back again almost one century later as a lich. Why didn't he came back before? He is a lich with a phylactery, he could have came back a long time ago no?
Elglanto.

Preparing everything to reactivate The Rage took years, not to mention convincing indifferent and wary dragons to become bags of bones.

Also, probably he took great pains (and hence, a long time) in trying to make his phylactery as nigh-invincible as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by elglanto

2 )The first time he was slained by Lathander avatar, how did he came back to unlife since he wasn't a lich with a phylactery at that time?

Thanks for your anwsers.

Elglanto.

There are several ways to come back to life, or existence, without resorting to lichdom. He must have found those means, and later transformed himself to a lich. Spoilers from The Shadow Stone: An Imaskaran archwizard nearly died upon the destruction of Imaskar. He wandered in the Plane of Shadow for centuries as a mere sentience, a whisper of existence, till eventually he gathered enough strength to possess a living body. Thus, he was able to return to the Prime Material Plane. Something like that might have happened to Sammaster.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  04:29:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Something like that might have happened to Sammaster.

Um... We have an explicit description of what happened to Sammaster. In fact, he's got one of the most detailed back stories of any Realms NPCs.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2011 :  09:48:43  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it happens that the campain i'm writing looks like the "And Dragons Shall Rule" which is on candlekeep. My player are going to be evil and, like in this campain, i wanded them to to help Sammaster resurection. So i was trying to find ways for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000