Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 More WotC Layoffs =(
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  16:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Link.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:03:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Link.

Bill wasn’t laid off. He left for greener pastures.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dragon/20110623ampersand

Don’t know about the other two.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:06:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before the WotC-bashing gets started... Have there been any confirmations of these rumored layoffs? And has the reasoning for Bill Slavicsek's departure been given?

I just want to make sure, before the "WotC is t3h evil!!!11BBQ" routine gets started up yet again, that we have more than rumors and assumptions.

Also, if there has been another round of layoffs, it's not necessarily indicative of problems at WotC. This could have been planned months ago or more, as business needs shifted -- not necessarily diminished, but shifted. WotC could be placing a greater emphasis on other areas, making these positions unneeded, for example, with plans to hire new people to fill new positions.

We need more info to know what's really going on, and unless one of these folks speaks out, I don't think that info will be forthcoming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jun 2011 18:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:09:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Link.

Bill wasn’t laid off. He left for greener pastures.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dragon/20110623ampersand

See, I'm not convinced, here. I'm not ready to assume he was laid off, because this blurb is vague enough that just about anything can be read into it. Maybe he's retiring. Maybe he's looking for greener pastures. Maybe WotC said "Clean out your desk" and he's too classy to fire a parting shot. Maybe he's got something else lined up already... It's too vague to be definitive. I need something more concrete.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jun 2011 18:14:22
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  19:49:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, but WotC bashing is so much fun!

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

5E announcement next GENCON...

On a serious note. Maybe it was time for a change for Bill. Good luck Bill. Let the other forums spazz out. I can just imagine how the 4E General forums at the WotC Boards are taking this, should be fun...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  21:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul S. Kemp also posted a comment on Facebook and Twitter calling it a lay-off. I am willing to believe that it may not be a lay off, but it would not surprise me in the least if it was.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 24 Jun 2011 21:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  21:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still trying to find out for sure if anyone besides Bill S. is leaving. Anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  03:46:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Thread in the 4E General Forums was fun and informative.

Monte Cook tweeted that Michele Cater and Steven Shubert were also let go.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  04:37:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, people come and people go. Bill was one of the 4E originals and I don't think he was let go with bad-blood between him and WotC. At least, thats not what was stated by him in his farewell letter. He might want to do other things and if he's held by contract by WotC not too or to give more attention to 4E and D&D in genearl, he may not want to commit more to it.

As for the other two, I'm not too familiar with them so their passing goes with a *shrug and hardy fare-well!*
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  10:03:23  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news but presumable !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  14:55:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That's confirmation enough for me.

Two people being let go at the same time a third leaves makes me think three layoffs. No proof, obviously, but that's pushing it, for coincidence.

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  17:27:44  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count down till 5th edition begins now.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  17:43:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey It is D&D, no longer any Edition, just the game will evolve.

Hey they did promise no more Editions that you might recall.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  17:50:46  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hey It is D&D, no longer any Edition, just the game will evolve.

Hey they did promise no more Editions that you might recall.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  02:23:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's confirmation enough for me.

Two people being let go at the same time a third leaves makes me think three layoffs. No proof, obviously, but that's pushing it, for coincidence.

From what I found out is that Bill and Michelle are married.

It also looks like the Paizo thread on this topic got closed.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  02:33:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It also looks like the Paizo thread on this topic got closed.

They do that when people start throwing personal insults around. Even when it's aimed at people who don't post there.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000