Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On half-orcs/half-elves and the Uthgardt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  15:39:46  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been thinking about this for a while and decided to ask people about it: Has anyone really given any thought about having a character that was a half-orc or half-elf (or in 4th edition, half-eladrin, let's say) born and raised amongst an Uthgardt tribe?

Yes, this is partially inspired by Daelan Red Tiger from Neverwinter Nights, but I figured there may have been at least one player, or maybe even a designer or writer who has touched on this before. On the same token, yes I know about the article on Rask Urgek (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cc/20010629a), but like I said, I only care for half-elves or half-orcs that are Uthgardt by blood.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  18:08:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Oh, wow. Rask Urgek was in Son of Thunder. Didn't know WotC made up this article about him.

-In the aforementioned novel, there were numerous Elves living among the Tree Ghosts. No Half-Elves are mentioned specifically by name, but if you check the sources, specifically for the Tree Ghosts, you might find something.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2011 :  16:33:53  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-In the aforementioned novel, there were numerous Elves living among the Tree Ghosts. No Half-Elves are mentioned specifically by name, but if you check the sources, specifically for the Tree Ghosts, you might find something.

Page 27 of Silver Marches maintains that said elves are Wood Elves, and consider Grandfather Tree just as sacred to them as do the Tree Ghost tribe. It is also mentioned that approximately 4% of the population of the Tree Ghost camp are half-elves. In that case, they could be half-wood elven members of the Tree Ghost tribe.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2011 :  04:55:43  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so if we have a half-elf of orcish ancestry...does that mean its at war with itself?

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2011 :  07:15:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

It is also mentioned that approximately 4% of the population of the Tree Ghost camp are half-elves. In that case, they could be half-wood elven members of the Tree Ghost tribe.

-Very certainly. Most Wood Elves that live amongst Humans are not the haughty variety that disdain Humans, so Human-Elf couplings could be very possible.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  04:09:11  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

so if we have a half-elf of orcish ancestry...does that mean its at war with itself?

I highly doubt that would happen, unless it's an arrangement between the a DM and a player they support.

Okay, so on that note, it seems like the most likely cases of half-elf or half-orc members of Uthgardt tribes would be the Tree Ghost and Black Lion tribes above all others, and maybe the Thunderbeast Tribe as well. Red Tiger Tribe, not so much (Daelan notwithstanding). Black Raven and Sky Pony tribes, definitely not.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  04:23:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and maybe the Thunderbeast Tribe as well.

-For what it's worth, no Half-Elves are mentioned in Son of Thunder. Given their reaction to the Wood Elves living with the Tree Ghosts, I'd assume that there aren't. That's just reading into one specific author's depiction of the tribe, though, so it's definitley not authoritative or anything.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  03:56:39  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harvid Beornigarth was a half-orc Uthgardt.

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  04:39:28  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Oh, I thought he was a human Tundra Barbarian turned mercenary. Then again, I read Elfshadow about 5 years ago, so I'm drawing some blanks here and there.

Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  05:29:04  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril

Oh, I thought he was a human Tundra Barbarian turned mercenary. Then again, I read Elfshadow about 5 years ago, so I'm drawing some blanks here and there.

I read it recently, and Cunningham doesnt make a clear distinction on his barbaric lineage, but indicates his orcish heritage in at least one passage.
I made the assumption that as a mercy in the North, it was a probability.

Brace Cormaeril

Edited by - Saer Cormaeril on 04 Jun 2011 05:30:25
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  14:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This web article existed first -- I borrowed Rask for SoT with Jesse Decker's permission.

And yes, I would agree that the Tree Ghosts breeding with the wood elves is more than likely, but this one mark of the strangeness of this particular tribe.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Oh, wow. Rask Urgek was in Son of Thunder. Didn't know WotC made up this article about him.

Edited by - Murray Leeder on 04 Jun 2011 14:34:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000