Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  01:47:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The old scroll [one of our oldest, in fact] has now reached one-hundred pages. It's usually good net-etiquette to start anew once a thread reaches that point, so I thought it best to do so now, with this particular discussion scroll.

Thus, heeding the words of the wise and long-time scribe, Lord Rad:-
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Just wondered how far though your Realms novel collection you all are, as in how many you have read. Also, what is everyone reading at the moment?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  05:35:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did not realize how old that other scroll was... Why, back then, Sage's to-do list was only at 17 volumes!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  06:29:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but that was the second series of Volumes.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  08:16:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Finally back to reading FR fiction. I'm now on Insurrection, Book Two of the WotSQ, by Thomas M. Reid. I'm trying my very best to disassociate the Reid who wrote this book from the Reid who wrote the -ahem!- highly disappointing Empyrean Odyssey.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  09:02:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reid's Insurrection was actually my favourite book from the entire WotSQ series, and it's usually among the first Realms novels I re-read when I'm so inclined.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  14:36:45  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am now going to start Empyrean Odyssey which will complete my reading of all FR books pre-Spellplague, and thus will complete my FR book reading

then i get to start over!

p.s. i have read the Fall of Highwatch and broken my "buy no WotC material post-spellplague" but that was only because of my Bloodstone Lands project and the information in that book was a must for said project (it referred back in print to pre-spellplague times in Dammara/Narfell)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  20:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished up Song of the Saurials and I decided to go with the Avatar trilogy next. I will either round it out with the other two books or read the third Brotherhood of the Griffin book after that (if I have a copy by that point).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2011 :  09:52:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow, words are not enough to express how much I loathe Quenthel in Insurrection...If eliciting such emotion from the reader is what Reid intends in portraying Quenthel that way, I must say he definitely succeeds. I just hope Pharaun would strike her, even just once. I read Annihilation, then Dissolution prior to this novel. [I didn't care about the series at first; I only wanted to read a book where Gromph has a lot of screen time]. In Book 5, Quenthel wasn't that annoying. In fact, I sort of pity her. She almost gave up hope! But in this book, I fervently wish Jeggred gets busy somewhere so Pharaun would have the opportunity to [at the very least] spank the ungrateful bi***.

Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  08:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the Blades of the Moonsea by Rich Baker trilogy rounded out for me at a recent birthday, so I will be moving onto Avenger next. I am, at the moment, re-reading The Sword Never Sleeps by Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  17:45:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

p.s. i have read the Fall of Highwatch and broken my "buy no WotC material post-spellplague" but that was only because of my Bloodstone Lands project and the information in that book was a must for said project (it referred back in print to pre-spellplague times in Dammara/Narfell)

-The book doesn't particularly contain much lore on Narfell.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

phareux
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  02:04:25  Show Profile Send phareux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i havent been keeping up with the Realms much, but i have a question. is there a specific novel or series which tells all about the cause of the spellplague? Or is just mentioned in the background of the more recent novels? Thanks for any help.

phareux
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  02:59:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phareux

i havent been keeping up with the Realms much, but i have a question. is there a specific novel or series which tells all about the cause of the spellplague? Or is just mentioned in the background of the more recent novels? Thanks for any help.

phareux

There isn't a particular novel or trilogy that deals primarily with the Spellplague. But it is used as a historical backdrop in some trilogies, like "The Haunted Lands," "The Abolethic Sovereignty," and referenced from a historical point-of-view in novels like Blackstaff Tower, for example.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  02:59:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phareux

phareux

Undead, Book 2 of The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers.

The Empyrean Odyssey by Thomas M. Reid.

The Abolethic Sovereignty by Bruce Cordell.

Shadowrealm, Book 3 of the Twilight War trilogy by Paul S. Kemp.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Jun 2011 03:02:04
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  23:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the first part of the Avatar trilogy, Shadowdale, and now I am about 100 pages into the next book, Tantras. I liked Shadowdale. I particularly liked Bane having to try to grapple with being more or less mortal. In Tantras, what happened? Did everyone have the idiot ball firmly implanted in them? I'm still reading and I will finish it, but I wouldn't have cared if Cyric killed just about anyone in Shadowdale after the start of that book. I assume that I will not get to see a scene of Elminster returning and literally slapping just about everyone? I also find Kelemvor's curse a little far fetched. Not the curse itself, just how he has managed to keep it secret. I can't believe there hasn't been a moment in his life where he randomly did something to help someone without a reward (on impulse) in a populated area. Oh well. I hate to complain because I do like what the author does with Bane.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  00:23:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I finished the first part of the Avatar trilogy, Shadowdale, and now I am about 100 pages into the next book, Tantras. I liked Shadowdale. I particularly liked Bane having to try to grapple with being more or less mortal. In Tantras, what happened? Did everyone have the idiot ball firmly implanted in them? I'm still reading and I will finish it, but I wouldn't have cared if Cyric killed just about anyone in Shadowdale after the start of that book. I assume that I will not get to see a scene of Elminster returning and literally slapping just about everyone? I also find Kelemvor's curse a little far fetched. Not the curse itself, just how he has managed to keep it secret. I can't believe there hasn't been a moment in his life where he randomly did something to help someone without a reward (on impulse) in a populated area. Oh well. I hate to complain because I do like what the author does with Bane.

You know one of my biggest complaints about Shadowdale? Bane's avatar. The guy had such a cool name, and he was basically a throwaway NPC. They should have given him an okay name, and kept the cooler name for some more prominent NPC.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jun 2011 00:23:22
Go to Top of Page

phareux
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  01:06:58  Show Profile Send phareux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help it answers my questions.

phareux
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  01:34:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You know one of my biggest complaints about Shadowdale? Bane's avatar. The guy had such a cool name, and he was basically a throwaway NPC. They should have given him an okay name, and kept the cooler name for some more prominent NPC.

I actually liked Bane's avatar, and found it wholly appropriate for his betrayal as the "Black Lord Tyrant."

I do agree, however, that he was discarded too quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  02:01:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Good for you it's only Bane you complain about. As for me, I dislike all the avatars. They were worse than petulant, gibbering preschoolers.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  23:32:46  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just finished crypt of the moaning diamond.it was rather a dull affair where the whole book is seen through the eyes of the protagonist.why do authors do that.it also had a highly annoying character called kid who called everyone 'dear'.i also thought there wear too many characters in the group of good guys.it took me a while to work out who was who.heres hoping the howling delve is better.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  02:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Tantras and I am 2/3 of the way through Waterdeep. I'm debating on if I should go with Prince of Lies/Trial of Cyric the Mad or Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy next. Although, if it gets here in time, I may read the third Brotherhood of the Griffin book.

I skimmed the end of Waterdeep just to get an idea about how the whole "book character become gods" thing goes down and I have a question. Does anything ever come of the fact that Cyric has Midnight's True Name?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  12:07:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad is the only good book in the series. Two of Troy's signature characters, Malik and Ruha, are featured in that book.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  12:10:26  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought prince of lies was good as well.i read that in about 2 days.just ordered depths of madness.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  12:47:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think I lost my Insurrection Why is it that when I'm already inclined to resume reading a book (that I put down for awhile due to some rather lengthy boring scenes) I couldn't find it?

Does anyone here like Aliisza? I just find her so misplaced. Well, I think succubus and incubus should be used only in Erotica, not in serious Fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2011 :  17:46:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I think I lost my Insurrection Why is it that when I'm already inclined to resume reading a book (that I put down for awhile due to some rather lengthy boring scenes) I couldn't find it?

Does anyone here like Aliisza? I just find her so misplaced. Well, I think succubus and incubus should be used only in Erotica, not in serious Fantasy.

I liked her. She was one of the few elements in the entire series that I found likable. (Unlike the majority of folks here, I had a lot of issues with that series, and will happily avoid reading it again or even thinking too much on it)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jun 2011 17:46:53
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  04:02:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

She got away from all "nasty" things way too easily. Despite the power she possessed, I'd like to see her actually having difficulty meandering the Underdark. Her every appearance was like an unwanted distraction. If I didn't know before hand that she'd survived the War (Hah! She even got her own trilogy after!), I might have been wishing that Jegred would make her his plaything.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Waterdeep last night. I started Prince of Lies. I'm only a few pages into it and The Spectral Blaze showed up from Amazon today. I think I am going to give Cyric and company a short rest and read The Spectral Blaze. Or try to read them both maybe.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  02:53:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm now reading First Flight by Edward Bolme from the anthology Realms of the Dragons. It's unlikely I would read the rest in the compilation, save Soulbound by Paul S. Kemp.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  08:04:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now happily devouring When Even Sky Cities Fall by J. Robert King, from the anthology Realms of the Arcane.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  04:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished The Spectral Blaze a few minutes ago. I thought it was a good book and a nice end to this part of the series. The end where numerous things essentially go back to the status quo felt a little off. Well, a little off for a fantasy book. In the real world, that's probably the outcome all too often. A few spoilered comments:I was honestly hoping Jhesrhi would incinerate Shala Karanok on the spot when she said that she was reinstating the laws against mages. It just seemed like a total slap in the face after they helped put her back on the throne. It was very satsifying to see Halonya die a very cheap death at the hands of people she thought were her allies. The end does leave many potential questions as to who is really manipulating who and towards what end. It left me wondering how, or if, the events in The God Catcher factor into the overall game between the dragons that may or may not be going on.

Edit to add: Can't wait for the next one.

-The Sith Code

Edited by - Tyrant on 23 Jun 2011 04:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  15:57:25  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading the "Threat from the Sea" Omnibus at the moment; finished "Rising Tide", now reading "Under Fallen Stars".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  16:47:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Reading the "Threat from the Sea" Omnibus at the moment; finished "Rising Tide", now reading "Under Fallen Stars".

Even though I already have the three individual books in this series, I still bought the omnibus primarily because of the cover. Like it a lot. And of course, also because the individual books hardly look they could survive decades in my shelves without crumbling.

----

Just finished Insurrection. Entertaining and disappointing at the same time. I'll see if I could write a review on it. When I'm done with a couple of non-FR novels, I'll reread The Magehound and probably read the next WotSQ book, Condemnation.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000