Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadow-walkers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Banter Darkdirk
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  20:17:22  Show Profile Send Banter Darkdirk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In keeping with my Mask-based questions; I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the Shadow-walkers survived the Spell Plague?

I know there isn't a lot of 4ed material out yet (in regards to the Realms); but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if any of the people who underwent the ritual survived?

If no one has a canon answer, let me know what you think would happen? (I'm very curious to hear other people's take on possible outcomes)

I realize that the time frame of the plague would mean "natural" deaths for many Shadow-walkers. But I don't think it is out of the question to think that at least a few Shadow-walkers were from longer-lived races than humans (ie. half-elves, elves).

Just a general wondering.

Sellsword for hire; sometimes mage...most times thief.

"Stealth and wariness are virtues, as are glibness and the skill to say one thing and mean another, twisting a situation to your advantage."

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2011 :  21:58:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In one word: Yes

-In a slightly longer sentence: If you want them to be, sure.

-In a longer paragraph: Individuals infused with Shadowstuff (Shadow Creature template, Shades, etc.) generally have lifespans that are augmented. We know such individuals existed circa 1375 DR, the end of the 3e timeline. The 4e timeline starts again in 1479 DR. Is it feasible that, because of their augmented constitutions, they live an extra 104 years, if they're Human (or some similar race, with a century as being basically the max normal age)? Yes.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  02:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can probably expect to see more of them in Godborn, Paul's upcoming 4e novel.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  03:58:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder about these Shadow-walkers. I know that the Shade template (3.5) gives this ability as do the Shadowdancer and Child of Night (ToM) PrC's, to a limited extent. In Paul Kemp's excellent Erevis Cale/Twilight War trilogies it seems Erevis had to become a Shade to gain theses abilities, yet Nayan and the rest of the monks that followed the Left and the Right had this power as well, but remained human. Anybody got an explanation?

Also, in the WotSQ series Nimor posessed a Ring of Shadows that seemed to grant these same powers. In my game, Vhaerun still lives and may in fact be Mask. So the idea of non-Shade Vhaerunite Shadow-walkers has occured to me. Thoughts?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Jun 2011 04:14:59
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  05:04:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that Telamont Tanthul and his various princes Shade are at least two thousand years old. It's true though that they could have had easy access to magical longevity methods, and also true that they lived in the Demiplane of Shadow Shadowfell (where timeflow might be different) for most of those many centuries.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Jun 2011 05:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  05:21:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I am so willfully ignorant of the 4e changes, it startles me. From what I understand, in regards to the OP,I suppose Rivalen survives. I was asking in a more general manner. I'm still a 3.5 player, so I guess I was asking how you would handle Shadow-walkers using that rule-set.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  16:04:28  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shadowmasters of Telflamm still exist, and in 1479 DR they are now worshippers of Shar instead of Mask. Specific NPCs have not been mentioned, and it could be assumed that those alive when Shar subsumed Mask would either have converted, been hunted down and slain, or possibly joined forces with the remaining Chosen of Mask.

In terms of Fellfire's question, the Shadow-walkers are merely as their name implies: beings who can walk easily through the shadows. They originated in Mask's clergy far East in Thesk, and while they do have a few darkness-related attack and concealment powers, they are primarily focused on being able to teleport through the shadows to facilitate their thieving excursions.

Shades by contrast are infused with and strengthened with shadow in a multitude of ways. They have increased speed, increased resistances (saving throws, spell resistance), greater stealth (invisibility), and can move through the shadows far more often (shadow stribe 1/2 rounds instead of a few times per day), etc.

As to your question regarding how to handle them in the 3.5 rules, the Shade template is in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and the Shadow-walker template is in Unapproachable East. In 4E as far as PCs are concerned they would likely be merged using the Shade race with players selecting different utility powers to emulate what they have in previous editions of the game.

Edited by - The Simbul on 21 Jun 2011 16:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  18:06:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I was under the impression that Telamont Tanthul and his various princes Shade are at least two thousand years old. It's true though that they could have had easy access to magical longevity methods, and also true that they lived in the Demiplane of Shadow Shadowfell (where timeflow might be different) for most of those many centuries.

-They are. Shades, if you look at their entry in Races of Faerūn have a [i]very[/o] long lifespan. Augment that already long lifespan with the fact that they're magocratic nobles with access to further magics to expand and extend their lifespans, and they're going to live even longer. The Plane of Shadow, in it's write-ups, doesn't particularly say anything about time being morphic.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  16:08:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entry for Shades in 1E describes them as being a sort of nearly ageless undead, similar to vampires and liches, but ah those were simpler times.

PSK's novels about Erevis and Rivalen make passing references to them being "cursed" with a tremendous lifespan which vastly exceeds that of normal men ... in fact, Erevis isn't really certain if he ages at all, or at what rate.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2011 :  18:18:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

PSK's novels about Erevis and Rivalen make passing references to them being "cursed" with a tremendous lifespan which vastly exceeds that of normal men ... in fact, Erevis isn't really certain if he ages at all, or at what rate.

-It's like "they" always say: Immortality is a double-edged sword, and isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  02:47:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They are hardly given voice in the novels. In fact, I always think of them as the puppets (or shadows) of Mask's Chosen---which maybe is the point (they might just be living according to their namesake).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  17:56:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

They are hardly given voice in the novels...

-I, personally, liked that about them. Made their goals and motivations more mysterious (even though they were serving Mask and his Chosen).

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2011 :  18:10:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

They are hardly given voice in the novels...

-I, personally, liked that about them. Made their goals and motivations more mysterious (even though they were serving Mask and his Chosen).

Somehow, I did, too, albeit just a bit. Nothing beats knowing more about a story's characters---their motivations, schemes, counter-plans...regardless of their stated alignment and class.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2011 :  18:15:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Somehow, I did, too, albeit just a bit. Nothing beats knowing more about a story's characters---their motivations, schemes, counter-plans...regardless of their stated alignment and class.

-Of course. If they were main characters in a novel or short story, as presented, I wouldn't like them too much. As supporting members of the cast, the lack of motivation, other than they're serving Mask and his Chosen, augments them, I think. It adds a level of mystery or suspense. You never know necessarily what they're going to do, if they're going to obey or not, if they have their own agenda or not, etc.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000