Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Underwear in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:54:47  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What kind of underwear does people iin the Realms wear? Is similar to modern-day panties and bras or are they wearing loincloths/rags/nothing under clothes?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:03:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The women all wear chainmail thongs.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:03:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

What kind of underwear does people iin the Realms wear? Is similar to modern-day panties and bras or are they wearing loincloths/rags/nothing under clothes?

Looking at history of our own world we can bring some parallels to the discussion.

Most Medieval people did not wear "underwear" as we know them and women certainly did not wear bras as they are now known. Depending on their personal preference, some might wear stockings and such, and "loin-wraps" wouldn't have been uncommon...certainly those wearing armor tended to wear more layers.

It also depends on culture, social station, and trending styles.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:08:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster has magical underwear...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:19:27  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Please, refrain yourself from spaming. This is a serious question.

@ Dalor
Argh, my bad, I did a mistake. I forgot that the REALMS are a whole world and are very different from place to place. Lets consider that this question concerns the more civilized cities like Waterdeep, Westgate, Silverymoon, etc., although ideas about particular cultures and races are very welcome (for example what panties are elves wearing ;)).

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 03 Apr 2011 08:20:03
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:32:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I've never given much consideration to it.

I would guess in cities the wealthy would have petticoats? I know that girdles are common among men and women of later ages here in our world (to keep the waist appearing slim) and that some sort of fabric was usually worn between the girdle and skin to prevent chafing.

Braes (sp?) was a sort of "underwear" often worn in colder places...but during hot months was just as often worn on the outside as well!

Women wearing "knickers" might be common...but again, I think this would be primarily among the wealthy of cities...or maybe not...

Much of this worlds fashion was driven by what men wanted (want?) to see women wearing. Even the bra was invented by a man right?

In my own FR, women aren't bound by the restriction of society so much as they were in this world...and so many women in my Realms that are more independent don't even wear dresses/skirts at all; but instead wear pants and the same fashions as men...while keeping a more delicate feel to the clothes so they don't all come across as tomboys.

Remember though, it was NOT UNUSUAL for men to wear what would today be considered a dress. Long "robes" are in essence a simply very long shirt...often extending nearly to the feet of the wearer. Often today called "night shirts" they were very much worn by men...the longer they were the more likely you were more wealthy and didn't have to worry about getting the hem at the bottome dirty with real work.

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:45:19  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In my own FR, women aren't bound by the restriction of society so much as they were in this world...and so many women in my Realms that are more independent don't even wear dresses/skirts at all; but instead wear pants and the same fashions as men...while keeping a more delicate feel to the clothes so they don't all come across as tomboys.

Yes, same in my Realms. Although my mind is unconciously biased towards an image of women in (mini)skirts and dresses, I wholly agree that there should not and most probably isn't anything like "Women = dress, Men = pants" in the Realms. Most fantasy art (pictures from DnD products included) depict females in rather "womanly" clothes (like the chainmail bikinies mentioned by Fellfire), but there also is a fair amount of girls in "pants".

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 03 Apr 2011 08:46:22
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:50:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMGR3: Arms & Equipment Guide and Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue describe medieval/renaissance clothing styles in some detail, and mention "smallclothes" which are worn under other garments.

I suspect ye won't find much lore about such mundane chamber pot stuff unless ye look entirely beyond D&D sources.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  09:23:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has spoken at some length about underwear in the Realms, it's in the oldest "Ask Ed Greenwood" thread.

Oh and...
quote:
AleksanderTheGreat wrote

quote:
Brimstone wrote

...that's not spamming, but a statement of fact.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 03 Apr 2011 09:23:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31715 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  09:38:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Kaje and Brimstone have the right of it.

Elminster generally wears a clout, as seen in Shadows of Doom. And Ed's elaborated on this several times in his replies here at Candlekeep. See the "So Saith Ed" archive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:30:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

quote:

Trust me when I say I wasn't spamming.

Elminster does have magical undergarments. They give him the power to fly amongst other things...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:03:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:35:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So why haven't they invented Pantaloons of Holding for us fat folks?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  18:01:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those wearing metal armor would have an under coating of some kind of padding.
In colder climates or times it is likely two layers of cloth was worn, the poorest condition, if of same type likely wore under outer layer.
There is some likelihood that breast bands be be worn to stabilize chest for at least some activities expected to do.
Females would during that time of the month (menstruation) would wear at minimum cloth bundled about the loins to absorb discharge.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  18:21:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I like that! A very fashionable magical item that would be in many noble circles where the men and women wanted slimmer figures! To the Nine Hells with painful girdles!

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  19:51:41  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

*Stares sideways at Mirt.*

Who says they havent?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000