Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 New 3.5ed Waterdeep sourcebook for 2004
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  23:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Rumor has it, over at EnWorld.org and on the WotC boards, that there is to be a new Waterdeep sourcebook released next year ::drool::

This will likely to coincide with Waterdeep novel being written by Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham ::drool beginning to run down chin::

Snippet from EnWorld:

During the Underdark chat that I ran a few weeks ago Rich [Baker] said that Skullport wasn't more then mentioned becasuse it will be included in the Waterdeep Book. So Waterdeep won't be Waterdeep/Undermountain. It's going to be Waterdeep/Skullport + surrounding environs (farm communities and such that feed the city), possibly mentions of the sea elf town in Waterdeep's harbor. (Most of this is my assumption, because it does sound as if Waterdeep is getting its own book, assuming it's going to be a normal size, 192 pages like others, we need to wonder what else is in it.) Perhaps the highest levels of Undermountain would be in it but that's it.

Either way. Waterdeep is strongly rumored for '04.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  23:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*drools* Oooh. Sounds good. This would be very useful, and the novel seems good.*snaps out of trance*Sorry, the news turned my brain to mush. *drools again.*
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2003 :  23:52:43  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next year,I have till next year.*Runs to piggy bank and breaks it,an I.O.U falls out but other wise its empty*Nooooooo,I must have it!Waterdeeeeeep!!!!!
I can't wait,thanks for the news Rad.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  03:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Runs over to the room, mop bucket in hand, glares at the six inches of drool on the floor)

You people simply must control your bodily fluids....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  06:09:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Rumor has it, over at EnWorld.org and on the WotC boards, that there is to be a new Waterdeep sourcebook released next year ::drool::

That's 05 that the novel and the sourcebook will come out. Not 04. Put the drool on hold as you have a bit of a wait.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  06:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, fine then.*Stops drooling.*
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  07:10:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I had read about this earlier yesterday from EN World as well. It's a shame that Undermountain won't be included, but there is enough 2e material to cover that area until something is published about in 3e.

I'm a little suprised they included Skullport, I really thought it deserved it's own tome...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  16:10:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Oh, fine then.*Stops drooling.*

I know..believe me I know. I want the book this coming year, not 05. I mean it's Cunningham, Greenwood, and Waterdeep so it's going to be great. Plus, it has Elaith.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  16:12:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yes, I had read about this earlier yesterday from EN World as well. It's a shame that Undermountain won't be included, but there is enough 2e material to cover that area until something is published about in 3e.

I wonder if the decision not to include Undermountain was based on the no-adventures stance that WOTC has apparently taken after City of the Spider Queen. A pity if so.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  17:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

That's 05 that the novel and the sourcebook will come out. Not 04. Put the drool on hold as you have a bit of a wait.

Hey, Shatterer of Dreams The post on EnWorld said its looking good for 2004, i may have missed something as I only glanced briefly at the site, was there any further information over at the WotC boards? can you post if here if you have it. Thanks.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2003 :  17:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a little suprised they included Skullport, I really thought it deserved it's own tome...

Shame on you, Sage You should report straight back here with such valuable news!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  06:15:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Hey, Shatterer of Dreams The post on EnWorld said its looking good for 2004, i may have missed something as I only glanced briefly at the site, was there any further information over at the WotC boards? can you post if here if you have it. Thanks.

The following comes from ENWorld's Wednesday, November 05, 2003 news located at http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=ENNews&file=index&newsdate=2003-11-05

Rich Baker has confirmed that the Waterdeep setting book is on WotC's schedule for 2005 (not 2004). Thanks to ArthurQ for the scoop.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  12:50:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologise Rad...

My studies at the university simply precluded any involvement with Candlekeep at the time.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  13:42:52  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a HUGE fan of waterdeep. My first campaign as a player where set in Waterdeep... haaaa i was young... the guards still remember me
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2003 :  13:57:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's something you would like to reminisce about in the Adventuring section?.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  15:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I wonder if the decision not to include Undermountain was based on the no-adventures stance that WOTC has apparently taken after City of the Spider Queen. A pity if so.

What is this about the "no-adventures" stance you mentioned? Is there an official announcement about this somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  16:32:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate
What is this about the "no-adventures" stance you mentioned? Is there an official announcement about this somewhere?

I'm trying to think of where I heard it. I believe it was in the "Ask Richard Baker" thread on the WOTC board. From hearing D20 publishers in various chats or interviews such as at Mortality.net, they have expressed a near identical stance when it comes to publishing adventures.

Apparently tailored made adventures, especially ones set in a published world like FR, do not sell as well as the Crunch books. Thus, publishers are less inclined to publish adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  18:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

I'm trying to think of where I heard it. I believe it was in the "Ask Richard Baker" thread on the WOTC board. From hearing D20 publishers in various chats or interviews such as at Mortality.net, they have expressed a near identical stance when it comes to publishing adventures.

Apparently tailored made adventures, especially ones set in a published world like FR, do not sell as well as the Crunch books. Thus, publishers are less inclined to publish adventures.

It wasn't in Richard's thread the last time I read it in its entirety(about a week ago.).
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  06:24:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
It wasn't in Richard's thread the last time I read it in its entirety(about a week ago.).

If you're admitting you read the lengthy 26 page post full of some very insightful comments from Mr. Baker and numerous ramblings from people who constantly drift off topic, I bow to your memory and inner fortitude. Although that might be a good place for anyone wishing clarification on the future of adventures being published in the FR setting.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 12 Nov 2003 06:24:59
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  08:16:07  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard the same information, Sirius. It's a petty that City of the Spider Queen did badly, but it seems that WotC saying that they will never produce more FR adventures is not good for consumer morale, but what do I know? (admittedly nothing about marketing)
I've also heard said that the RPGA is printing a grip of low-level FR adventures from their archives. This could be good. The Living Grayhawk adventures from the RPGA are well done; they're not 'player killers' but are certainly challenging.

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  15:31:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl

I have heard the same information, Sirius. It's a petty that City of the Spider Queen did badly, but it seems that WotC saying that they will never produce more FR adventures is not good for consumer morale, but what do I know? (admittedly nothing about marketing)
I've also heard said that the RPGA is printing a grip of low-level FR adventures from their archives. This could be good. The Living Grayhawk adventures from the RPGA are well done; they're not 'player killers' but are certainly challenging.

Well, I think WOTC stating that they will never publish adventures again should be taken as just a decision that will impact the next year or so of products. The way the wind changes in gaming, that decision could be reversed, edited, expanded, etc. I didn't realize they had said never...just not in the foreseeable future or some ambigious talk that only a suit is good at dishing out.

Strange how a module that won an Origins award and was so crunchy it went off the Richter scale for the Crunch factor apparently didn't do so well. I didn't like the module myself, but it has more than its share of fans. So strange.

I had heard about the RPGA adventures. I guess that combined with any Dungeon modules geared to FR is considered enough.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additionally, the chat that is mentioned at the top of this thread for the Underdark is not posted on the ENWorld messageboard.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  20:45:49  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The RPGA might have plans to print the adventures from their Green Regent series of modules. A copy of one of the modules was sent to RPGA members.
Not 100% sure about printing the modules though..

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000