Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Scourge of the Slave Lords
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  22:12:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

Hulburg might be a better choice then Phlan, considering your needs, and Rich Baker has developed some nice lore for the area
Thanx, Markus. That's an awesome page (and handy map).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  23:08:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, it is nice lore...but not what I'm looking for honestly.

Rich wrote a good article there; but I prefer Hulburg as a nearly ransacked city with only the keep remaining.

Phlan will work better for me...as the party must head then to Melvaunt to catch a decent ship for the "trip to Hepmonoland" to get the potion they need...that gives more room on the north coast for the "Pomarj" area being the Thar/north-east coast of the Moonsea.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  01:22:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is slightly OT here, but are there any good sources of info about Thentia?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  02:11:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

"The Moonsea" book and "Forgotten Realms Adventures" hardback are two sources right off the top of my head.

Later sources I don't reference too much. I'm becoming less useful by choice it would seem.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  02:17:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I checked the basic books out as well, Thentia seems a little undeveloped in lore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  02:42:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I checked the basic books out as well, Thentia seems a little undeveloped in lore.

According to the hardback book "Forgotten Realms Adventures" it has some HIGHLY powerful Wizards that live there and protect the city.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  20:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hulburg might be a better choice then Phlan, considering your needs, and Rich Baker has developed some nice lore for the area (which you could always backwards-port into the 3e era). They dealt with pirates, and even touched upon the situation in Sulasspryn.

How did I miss this article???? I'm always on the outlook for Thar lore. Thanks for the link Markustay.

Mod edit: Tweaked the coding to get rid of the funkiness.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Apr 2011 02:49:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:00:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep track of EVERYTHING that's got a map attached to it.

I was actually considering a conversion-map, but honestly, I don't see the need. The area is really perfect for those three (four) super-modules.

@Dalor - if you place everything (which am sure you will), I would be happy to oblige with a map of your conversion, although I am sure a booklet-type conversion would serve better (like the ones Paizo used to do for their adventure-arcs).

What are you going to use for Hepmonaland? Chult's too far...

The Forest of Lethyr could work (its primal), but I think an overland journey would work better for that. I suppose Cormanthor, but its SO over-used; maybe the Flooded Forest region?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2011 21:01:25
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:17:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was actually considering a conversion-map, but honestly, I don't see the need. The area is really perfect for those three (four) super-modules.

@Dalor - if you place everything (which am sure you will), I would be happy to oblige with a map of your conversion, although I am sure a booklet-type conversion would serve better (like the ones Paizo used to do for their adventure-arcs).

The Forest of Lethyr could work (its primal), but I think an overland journey would work better for that. I suppose Cormanthor, but its SO over-used; maybe the Flooded Forest region?

I actually considered using one of the Pirate Isles...or maybe even the islands belonging to the Emerald Enclave or even our Ixinos.

I'm honestly stuck now trying to convince the wife that the Forgotten Realms is THE place for these modules instead of Golarion.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  21:59:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never disagree with the wife.

Sleeping on the couch gets very cold and lonely.

Besides, she's right - Golarion's map was as beautiful as the 4eFR map was abysmally ugly. If I had the time, money, and inclination, I would be playing there myself.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  02:50:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My wife won't banish me to the couch. It's a very comfortable couch!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  16:07:22  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There shouldn't be...

Until the advent of 4E Thentia didn't have much more than the Moonsea supplement entries mentioned. When Baker took on Hulburg for the Swordmage series, Thentia got pulled into the fleshing out with it. Essentially that guy who fell in a well and became a lich in the Hulburg entry of Moonsea - well, the real story is that he was the ruler of Thentur, an empire in the 900s DR that was overthrown. Hulburg was given to the Hulmaster family during this time and has remained in the family's tenuous control into the 15th century - in some part due to the protection of the lich king Aesperus (see Realms of the Dead).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  18:30:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another anthology I have overlooked and must track down.

Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  20:11:05  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just updating this for fun. I've run linked campaigns - Ruins of Adventure (1340) - Pools of Darkness (1350, based on the book and game) - and now, based on some information from Moonsea have ended up with the PCs living Hulburg in 1351, knights errant of phlan with one the heir apparent to the Harmach of Hulburg. Backwards working Baker's stuff and using all the old 2e stuff I can find has been fun, but there's still plenty of gaps in the northern moonsea lore.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  05:06:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I made bold this part for Markus! You still interested in that map idea?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  12:55:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, why not.

I'm in the middle of a couple of others, but I always have time for a good, solid conversion.

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  21:39:51  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My wife won't banish me to the couch. It's a very comfortable couch!

Same here.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000