Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ertuu's Status
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  02:12:05  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is he now permanently dead or just his material form? If the latter, is he now able to comeback since 100 years has elapsed since his defeat t the hands of Drizzt and friends.

P.S. Drizzt banished him twice? How was Ertuu able to come back the 2nd time before the 100 year limit?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  02:44:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know particulars for Ertuu ... and I haven't read more recent Drizzt novels so for all I know it might just be that the second banishing occurred after the timejump.

There are other canon examples of banished fiends continuing to wreak havoc after banishment. Orcus is perhaps the foremost example. Fiends might reenter the Realms (or another world) after banishment by being once again summoned and bound (as did Mephistopheles, for instance, when he appeared in the place of another summoned devil who was now "in his service" after some hellish power struggle). Fiends are known to be linked to powerful artifacts (such as the Crenshinibon in Ertuu's case). Basically, they may be "forbidden" to reenter the world through their own volition but may still become manifest at the behest of somebody else's will; powerful fiends often employ the strategy of allowing their true names, binding spells, artifacts, and magics exist simply to provide a foothold on any world whereupon dwells any race of fools arrogant enough to summon them ... they understand that their service is always temporary and will ultimately feed their evil.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  03:19:38  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, both times were well before the time-jump. Have not seen anything about his current status- if Bob Salvatore replied to his threads these days, we could ask him directly.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  03:39:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time circuits on...flux capacitor is fluxing, check. yep, Errtu is...

EVIL

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  07:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your sensors are off. He's chaotic evil.

And yea, there certainly is the possibility of him returning post timeskip. Really haven't been any hints of it what-so-ever but it's possible.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  11:16:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My flux capacitor is broken. I intend to order a replacement in 2073 so I haven't got a clue why it hasn't yet arrived.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  12:11:40  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Banks! Investments! Ptah! I keep all of my money in the future, where it's safe.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  12:14:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BEAST will know...

I do know that Ertuu tricked Drizzt into bringing him back to the material plane. He made Drizzt think he had Zak in his possession. It was Wulfgar...

I 3.5E game terms I would make him an advanced hit die Balor...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  12:35:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ertuu is described as a Balor at various sites (such as this one).

Why would ye assign advanced hit dice, Brimstone? From Crenshinibon? Balors are quite bad enough already.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  13:19:20  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Ertuu is described as a Balor at various sites (such as this one).

Why would ye assign advanced hit dice, Brimstone? From Crenshinibon? Balors are quite bad enough already.

I'd probably advance his HD as well. Errtu is, I believe, a lord of an Abyssal layer, so he should either have the Demon Lord template (Dragon #359) tacked on to his Balor-ness, or his HD advanced to make him bigger, stronger and tougher than the other demons on his layer. Possibly both. Kicking him up to 25 HD or so (Malcanthet, for reference, is 25 HD, and she's one of the weakest of the demon lords) should be enough.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  17:24:02  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still dying to know...It would make sense that Drizzt would be preparing for Ertuu's return.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  17:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Still dying to know...It would make sense that Drizzt would be preparing for Ertuu's return.
I would say yes, but it really depends on what the editors at WotC have in store for Drizzt (or it depends upon R.A. Salvatore's desire and ability to bring Ertuu back depending on what WotC has in store for Drizzt).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  20:02:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know N'Dulu from Champions of Ruin is a 32HD Balor. Thats the max.

I would at least make Ertuu his equal. Maybe just a little weaker.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  20:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always considered Errtu to be something of a joke, really. You know that guy in Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist that the martial arts masters trained badly as a joke? That's Errtu for the demon lords.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  22:26:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Abyssal Demon Lord template? I mislike criticizing an article I haven't even read, but the concept seems a little ridiculous.

I don't recall Ertuu being mentioned as a demon lord, though of course he would probably make such a grandoise claim while intimidating people, and of course my memory (especially of things Drizzt) is not perfect.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  01:40:34  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An Abyssal Demon Lord template? I mislike criticizing an article I haven't even read, but the concept seems a little ridiculous.

It's meant to allow you to design creatures of the Abyss that are lords of a particular Abyssal layer (though some demon lords in fact aren't rulers of a layer, such as Ardat or Lascer), and to give each one a particular theme (so they aren't all carbon copies - the template has variance within itself to ensure that they can all differ).

Using the scale given, no demon lord should be lower than CR 22, only Demogorgon (as Prince of Demons) should be CR 33, very few should be above CR 30, and most should sit between CR 26-29. The template itself starts out at a +2 CR (give or take), which increases as necessary depending on what sort of variance you use.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:29:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I've always considered Errtu to be something of a joke, really. You know that guy in Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist that the martial arts masters trained badly as a joke? That's Errtu for the demon lords.

That's a shame that the way he was written leaves many to see him that way. I think at the time it was first written.....he was one one of only 6(?) or so demons of the highest order......he sure didn't come off as near powerful or competent enough to be ruler of his own level of the hells.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:35:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crenshinibon artifact may have impeded Ertuu's powers and intellect.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:36:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean the Abyss, right? The Hells are in Battor.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:49:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

You mean the Abyss, right? The Hells are in Battor.

Yeah, ruler of a layer of the Abyss.

This tidbit (from Errtu's wiki page ...lol) is interesting in trying to determine "what he should have been":

Errtu was the name of one of the original six Type VI demons in Gary Gygax's Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, its name being listed among the others in the appendices of the Dungeon Master Guide. As originally envisioned, there were only six Type VI Demons in existence, with each having its own individual name, unlike lesser demon

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  02:56:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my players can assure ye that there are far more than just six of these demons.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  03:05:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, my players can assure ye that there are far more than just six of these demons.

And after 1e passed there became thousands and thousands.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  05:05:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

And after 1e passed there became thousands and thousands.

I still have that there are only six of these demons known...in a particular world. It doesn't prevent more from being in the multi-verse; just that the secret names of only six are known in my world of Greyhawk (where they were originally contrived I guess?). Remember, it only said "Six are known to exist"...

I simply remember that "Balor" was my favorite demon that my character "Dalor" had bound to his service after Yeenoghu.

Ertuu I figure is just one of the Type VI known in the Forgotten Realms?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  05:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his first appearance we are informed that Errtu is, in fact, the ruler of a layer of the abyss. However, the demonomicon notes that there are many layers of the abyss that lack a demon lord proper. Becoming a demon lord is about more than simply being the biggest, meanest demon on a given layer. One has to learn one's own true name, bond with the layer on a metaphysical level, and gain a certain level of mastery over the very nature of the layer. Errtu has done none of this. He simply happens to be the biggest, meanest demon on a layer no one else wanted(it is discribed as a place of fungus and refuse, so that's not completely surprising). If a bigger, meaner demon got sight of said layer, they could probably take it from him if they set their mind to it.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  06:32:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More complex still, the "infinite" (or 666, if you prefer) layers of the Abyss do not all have rulers. Some are indeed unclaimed or ruled by "unqualified" claimants. Many are shared (or more likely contested) by a number of rulers. Some demons are powerful enough to rule multiple layers. Some demons, such as Pazuzu, have aspected domains: they do not rule any single layer but instead have peculiar dominion of fragments spanning many layers. Many layers have quirky links to other places and powers beyond those of the Abyss itself, and in many cases so too do their demonic rulers.

I like the idea of only six Type VI demons being known to Oerth. They are in an odd position: they must strike a balance between keeping their true names secret yet also disperse these names throughout any worlds where they hope to gain entry and dominion. Some might hold greater power by knowing the true names of their competitors, they might even direct effort into propagating or extinguishing said names on select worlds.

The original printing of MC8: Outer Planes Appendix* (2E) briefly quotes some passages from the Codex of Mordenkainen which describes (among other things) a nearly infinite "writhing mass" of tanar'ri being led by the *countless legions of immortal generals* of the Abyss; 1E's "Demon, Type VI" monsters were mostly lumped into 2E's "Tanar'ri, true" category; demon lords and princes were unique (sometimes even divine) entities which hardly followed any real template ... though, yes, they were invariably much more potent than others of their ilk. I suppose this Dragon article was just part of the 3E craze to dump templates and stat blocks onto everything a PC might theoretically try chopping into.

* Subsequent MC8 printings altered Mordenkainen's passages somewhat, probably to keep them more in line with other planescape sourcebooks.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 26 Mar 2011 06:41:34
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  06:46:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More complex still, the "infinite" (or 666, if you prefer) layers of the Abyss do not all have rulers. Some are indeed unclaimed or ruled by "unqualified" claimants. Many are shared (or more likely contested) by a number of rulers. Some demons are powerful enough to rule multiple layers. Some demons, such as Pazuzu, have aspected domains: they do not rule any single layer but instead have peculiar dominion of fragments spanning many layers. Many layers have quirky links to other places and powers beyond those of the Abyss itself, and in many cases so too do their demonic rulers.

I like the idea of only six Type VI demons being known to Oerth. They are in an odd position: they must strike a balance between keeping their true names secret yet also disperse these names throughout any worlds where they hope to gain entry and dominion. Some might hold greater power by knowing the true names of their competitors, they might even direct effort into propagating or extinguishing said names on select worlds.

The original printing of MC8: Outer Planes Appendix* (2E) briefly quotes some passages from the Codex of Mordenkainen which describes (among other things) a nearly infinite "writhing mass" of tanar'ri being led by the *countless legions of immortal generals* of the Abyss; 1E's "Demon, Type VI" monsters were mostly lumped into 2E's "Tanar'ri, true" category; demon lords and princes were unique (sometimes even divine) entities which hardly followed any real template ... though, yes, they were invariably much more potent than others of their ilk. I suppose this Dragon article was just part of the 3E craze to dump templates and stat blocks onto everything a PC might theoretically try chopping into.

* Subsequent MC8 printings altered Mordenkainen's passages somewhat, probably to keep them more in line with other planescape sourcebooks.

I never decided on how many Type VI were in the "known" demonomicon of the Forgotten Realms; but if I remember, there have been many aside from Ertuu to be found. The one I remember most vividly was in "service" to the Lich Lord of Vaasa.

I lost that module though, does anyone know the name of that Type VI?

Is there anyone that could disclose the various type VI in the Forgotten Realms that have been documented?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  08:34:10  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

In his first appearance we are informed that Errtu is, in fact, the ruler of a layer of the abyss. However, the demonomicon notes that there are many layers of the abyss that lack a demon lord proper. Becoming a demon lord is about more than simply being the biggest, meanest demon on a given layer. One has to learn one's own true name, bond with the layer on a metaphysical level, and gain a certain level of mastery over the very nature of the layer. Errtu has done none of this. He simply happens to be the biggest, meanest demon on a layer no one else wanted(it is discribed as a place of fungus and refuse, so that's not completely surprising). If a bigger, meaner demon got sight of said layer, they could probably take it from him if they set their mind to it.

Correct. Errtu is listed as a balor, which is a level below the actual demon lords.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  08:37:18  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am kind of wondering how the blood war being over affects the abyss.

Since Asmodeus ascended to godhood and used his newfound power to push the abyss below the elemental chaos
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  08:40:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wikipedia page for Balors names these Type VI Balors: Alzoll, Balor (thought to perhaps be the prototype), Ertuu, Ndulu/Demonbane, Ter-Soth, Wendonai; also Belial and Karlat Jhareg. Another wiki page names these and 19 more and cites sources (mostly official canon, some not).

Dalor — Chances are that if your module specifically refers to a "Class VI Demon" (the Gygaxian term) it would have to be a 1E Balor. I suspect it would be Ter-Soth, appearing in H4: The Throne of Bloodstone.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 26 Mar 2011 08:44:09
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  08:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Another point is that the process of ascending to demon lord status is a very dangerous gambit; its entirely likely that in bonding with the given layer, the demon in question will be destroyed and consumed by the abyss itself. One thing heavily implied and suggested in 4e at least is that the abyss is alive and willful; there are layers it doesn't want to have a demon lord. There are specific demons it doesn't want to ascend. Errtu is likely partly aware of this, or at least of the dangers involved in ascending, and is probably scared [explitive deleted]less of attempting it, satisfied that a klurichir hasn't caught wind of him yet.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2011 :  11:06:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have Balor, Ter-Soth, and Glyphinhor Type VI (Advanced)Demon in H4...

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 26 Mar 2011 11:13:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll