Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 ArcNaturals - Sorcerers of Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  14:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While re-reading the Summoning, Melegaunt mentions to Galaeron about ArcNaturals, which is what sorcerers (3E variation of wizards who have an innate ability to cast magic. For reference this is on page 71 of the novel.
Anyways, have ArcNaturals been expanded on further beyond this brief mention in the novel?
How do Arcanists view these ArcNaturals? I would guess they look down on them.
Must they major on a specific field (Mentalism, Invention, Variation) with a minor one and restricted access to the last, like the Arcanists do? Or is it a free for all for them?
Thoughts? Ideas?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  16:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they've ever been described further, though I agree with you that they would probably be looked down upon. After all, the Netherese were already casting like sorcerers, only with the spells known of a wizard. That takes all the advantages away from the sorcerer.

My own feelings are that they wouldn't specialize in any of the three schools, which is a fairly minor advantage, and they'd still be able to cast what spells they know a bit more than an arcanist, but otherwise they're pretty much screwed (even more than sorcerers are in 3e). And yeah, they'd definitely be looked down upon as the "poor cousins" of the arcanists. I doubt any of them rose to any sort of power.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  18:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if one of them could technically become an Archwizard ruling their own enclave? No respect from the peers if so, but that would be a unique Archwizard.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  20:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, eh, maybe. All it takes to rule your own enclave is to create the thing in the first place. The 10th level spell itself (Proctiv's Move Mountain, iirc) would be available for a sufficiently high level sorcerer to take. Unfortunately, it requires a mythallar as a material component, which is probably too complex (ie: needing too many spels in the crafting) for a sorcerer to make. On the other hand, a sorcerer could always just stalk a budding archwizard-to-be, kill the guy after he finishes making the mythallar, and then claim it as his own. Then he'd have what he needs for the creation of his own enclave.

Now, whether he'd then be able to get anyone to live there is another question entirely.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  22:42:39  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they were popular in Low Netheril.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  22:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it. No one in Low Netheril would be able to tell the difference, so sorcerers would be hated/feared/whatever just as much as a regular arcanist.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  22:53:21  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I doubt it. No one in Low Netheril would be able to tell the difference, so sorcerers would be hated/feared/whatever just as much as a regular arcanist.

Except that they are (by definition) charismatic buggers. I always thought 3E's insistence that Sorcerers were 'outcasts' was kind of moronic, given that it's Wizards that tend to be insular, smelly, crotchety, single-minded intellectuals and sorcerers are more likely to be affable, good looking, approachable, and well-rounded.

If anything, wizards should be the outcasts, and sorcerers should be seen as the 'heroes of the people', since they can come from any background and are more likely to be actually working magic in poor or remote locations than wizards.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  23:29:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if an ArcNatural is adept at doing things 'naturally', then what is an ArcAnist good at?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2011 :  15:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So if an ArcNatural is adept at doing things 'naturally', then what is an ArcAnist good at?

LOL
Is there a reason its ArcNatural and not Arcnatural?? (I know I typed it as it appeared in the novel)

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2011 :  00:53:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think they've ever been described further, though I agree with you that they would probably be looked down upon. After all, the Netherese were already casting like sorcerers, only with the spells known of a wizard. That takes all the advantages away from the sorcerer.

I'm not sure about that. If Melegaunt's reaction to Galaeron's natural affinity to magic is any indication, I say the ancient Netherese wizards respected the ArcNaturals, though mayhap not as much as they did their peers.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  14:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, or perhaps the resepect factor comes from those tapping in the Shadow Weave since it shows an alternate means to cast magic, kind of like them?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  17:05:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Melegaunt (or anyone else from Shade) is necessarily representative of Netherese arcanists. The Tanthuls and Shadovar seem pragmatic and utilitarian: they do not overestimate nor underestimate the abilities of those whom they might use as tools to further their own agenda. Netheril, and the arcanists foremost, were reknowned for their arrogance towards those who cannot wield Nether magic; they had little respect for organic systems of magic practiced by elves, they might feel similarly towards mere sorcerers (unless these received a proper education in arcane matters).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2011 :  17:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. The Tanthuls were visionaries, and not simply fools with delusions of grandeur. They understood that magic has multiple sources and different means of being tapped into. But I think they are still arrogant in their own way.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  07:47:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Tanthuls are arrogant. However, if the need arises, they can rein in their arrogance and feign humility. In The Summoning, Melegaunt kept on telling Vala to stop calling him Great One, or something like it, for such would blow his cover.

*Talking about the Tanthuls makes me more eager to read PSK's new trilogy. How I wish it can be released this year.

Edited by - Dennis on 08 Mar 2011 07:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  07:55:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hmmm, or perhaps the resepect factor comes from those tapping in the Shadow Weave since it shows an alternate means to cast magic, kind of like them?

And because some of them are sorcerers themselves---Clariburnus, Yder, and Aglarel.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  11:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

And because some of them are sorcerers themselves---Clariburnus, Yder, and Aglarel.

Book 3 of the Return of the Archwizards is named The Sorcerer. I guess I didn't clue in till now.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  17:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that title referred to that idiot elf protagonist. But since I stopped reading after Summoning, I don't know for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:30:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always thought that title referred to that idiot elf protagonist. But since I stopped reading after Summoning, I don't know for sure.

I thought it referred to the elf, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  19:54:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I uncharacteristically didn't mind this particular elf at all. A dwarf or even a bumbling human would've been better, but the elf still did okay.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  12:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah actually it would be the Elf. Or is it a dual-meaning (like alluded to for The Two Towers and Return of the King)??

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:48:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I thought it referred to the elf, as well.

Indeed. It was Galaeron. That those three Tanthuls are sorcerers [as I noted] were not mentioned in RotA; only in LoD.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my research it seems that Netherese or at least Shadovars look at sorcerers as fitting for soldier's life. (many of their warriors are Ftr/Src multiclass)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:17:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Book 3 of the Return of the Archwizards is named The Sorcerer. I guess I didn't clue in till now.

"The Sorcerer" referred to in the title is not a Shadovar prince. It's Galaeron.

Clariburnus, Yder, and Aglarel didn't exactly don the major roles, or rather didn't have much 'screen time.' It was Rivalen (a theuge), Melegaunt (a wizard), and Telamont (a wizard) who did.

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

From my research it seems that Netherese or at least Shadovars look at sorcerers as fitting for soldier's life. (many of their warriors are Ftr/Src multiclass)

Given the Shadovar princes I mentioned as examples, this may not be the case. Lamorak (a wizard, not sorcerer) is the head of Shade's army (next to his father, of course).

quote:

Yeah actually it would be the Elf. Or is it a dual-meaning (like alluded to for The Two Towers and Return of the King)??

I doubt it. As I mentioned above, the three sorcerers among the Shadovar's ranks were hardly focused in the story, as opposed to Galaeron, who was all over the place.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 May 2012 02:21:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:23:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

Given the Shadovar princes I mentioned as examples, this may not be the case. Lamorak (a wizard, not sorcerer) is the head of Shade's army (next to his father, of course).

-Indeed. A soldier, who lives a very strict and regimented life, wouldn't seem to mesh well with a Sorcerer, who is typically seen as a lot more 'chaotic'- in their lifestyle in relation to magic, not necessarily alignment- as opposed to Wizards, who are typically seen as a lot more 'lawful'- again, in their lifestyle in relation to magic, not necessarily alignment.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  20:04:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

[I just noticed this...]

I don't know. You tell me.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  20:06:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there a reason its ArcNatural and not Arcnatural?? (I know I typed it as it appeared in the novel)

I think it was just a typo error as it only appeared on that page. Had it been mentioned many times on the succeeding pages, I would have thought that's really how it's spelled.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000