Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Possible options for using PrCs in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  04:44:43  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just thinking about this over the last few days, mostly concerned with various Prestige Classes from a number of non-Realms sourcebooks, and here is what I've thought of so far.

Rage Mage (Complete Warrior): This would most likely occur, to my knowledge in areas like Luskan, where fighting fury and the study of magic may collide. Also may be possible in Rashemen, and (though least likely of all) in Thay. Nimbral or Halrua would probably find such practice unheard of.
As far as religious affilation, Talos would most likely be linked to the Rage Mage PrCs, since the Destroyer has many Barbarians and wizards amongst his faithful. Otherwise, possibly Gruumsh or Ilneval of the Orc Pantheon, especially with the Orog's penchant for sorcerous magic.

Legendary Captain (Stormwrack): Along the Sea of Swords and the Sword Coast, many daring leaders of sailing ships could be found with levels in the Legendary Captain PrC. Perhaps the likes of Captain Deudermont could have such if he was given official stats?
The Sea of Fallen Stars could potentially encourage such a PrC, but not as much.

Scarlet Corsair (Stormwrack): See the Legendary Captain above, Deudermont mentioning notwithstanding.

Dread Pirate (Complete Adventurer): As above.

Shadowbane Inquisitor and Stalker (Complete Adventurer): These two PrCs might likely be found amongst (Lawful or Neutral) Good-aligned faiths intent on rooting out evil, more likely amongst the faiths of Lathander, Torm, Tyr, Helm, Garl Glittergold and Berronar Truesilver. Regions may not matter as much as the faiths in question.

Nightsong Enforcer and Infiltrator (Complete Adventurer): While potentially needing renaming unless the Nightsong Guild is worked into the setting, these PrCs may fit well under established thieves guilds, such as the Fire Knives, Red Sashes, Shadow Thieves of Amn, and so forth.

Ghost-Faced Killer (Complete Adventurer): The original flavor of the PrC extolls areas of the east such as Kara-Tur, Shou and such. However, if such regional flavor is dropped, it could work well for a murderer who prefers to get the drop on their target from out of nowhere.
Concerning religious affiliation, the most likely suspects would be Bane or Bhaal, seeing as how the Black Lord intends to cause fear as well as hatred and tyranny, while the Lord of Murder strived on causing violent death.

More to come when I feel like it.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:22:52

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  06:22:02  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Seekers of the Song or Sublime Chords? I could see a few of those among the Harpers. Particularly the ones under Khelben that became the Moonstars. Or perhaps some elves from Evermeet.

Dervishes seem to fit nicely among some of the nomadic halflings of Luiren(sp?), or possibly among the Bedines of Anauroch.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  16:43:55  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

What about Seekers of the Song or Sublime Chords? I could see a few of those among the Harpers. Particularly the ones under Khelben that became the Moonstars. Or perhaps some elves from Evermeet.

Dervishes seem to fit nicely among some of the nomadic halflings of Luiren(sp?), or possibly among the Bedines of Anauroch.

Well, I was planning to get to that eventually; like I said at the end of the post: "More to come when I feel like it."

Anyways, here's some more.

Enlightened Fist (Complete Arcane): This PrC most likely fits in with monastic orders that often dabble in arcane magic, such as the Order of the Shining Hand or the Monks of the Dark Moon.

Fatespinner (Complete Arcane): This PrC would most likely be utilized by arcane spellcasters who worship Beshaba or Tymora. In fact, perhaps either of those two deities themselves have levels in such?

Fortune's Friend (Complete Scoundrel): Like the Fatespinner, this is a PrC more in line with the deities of fortune or fate, though more so with Tymora than Beshaba.

Geometer (Complete Arcane): This PrC would likely fit well with a deity involving writing, such as Deneir, Dugmaren Brightmantle, Labelas Enoreth, or Oghma.

Malconvoker (Complete Scoundrel): This could be a rare individual in the Realms, perhaps from areas with past ties to cavorting with fiends such as Narfel. One possible famous character in the Realms with Malconvoker levels, however, could be Cadderly Bonaduce, given the Chosen of Deneir's tendencies to communicate with fiends while doing such for the good of all.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:23:45
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  16:53:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the Enlightened Fist!! I love that PrC. I actually made a D&D version of Spidey using it. Works great if you substitute sonic energy for the fire/electric ability. He's currently running around in Waterdeep.....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just don't go with any Dervish = Drizzt stuff. He ain't dervish .

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  19:04:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah- but my bard is!! (And yes, he's a drow- but he's what I call a "battledancer". Uses a bard/Dervish/Spelldancer mix.)

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 28 Feb 2011 19:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  19:24:05  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to note: I'm mostly focusing on PrCs that may require affiliation with an order or have a more specific flavor.

Knight of the Chalice (Complete Warrior): This PrC could fit as a religious order intent on slaying fiends, likely an order that worships Bahamut, Torm or Tyr.

Luckstealer (Races of the Wild): Make Dallah Thaun possibly into either a deity or aspect of another (quasi-)divine being. For instance, Dallah Thaun could be an aspect of Beshaba or Shar worshiped amongst some Halflings and is rumored to have once been a part of Yondalla, or could possibly be the guise of a powerful outsider such as a Slaad or fiend prone to keeping secrets and encouraging greed or misfortune.

Ravager (Complete Warrior): In this case, the Ravager PrC would likely be affiliated with either Cyric, Garagos (though only CN and CE alignment), or Urdlen.

Runesmith (Races of Stone): With the Shield Dwarves generally distrusting arcane magic and such magic unheard of amongst Artic Dwarves or Wild Dwarves, Runesmiths are more common amongst Gold Dwarves and - most of all - Duergar.

Urban Soul (Races of Destiny): Change Urbanus for another deity who deals extensively with cities or commerce, such as Siamorphe or Waukeen.

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  21:09:14  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Shadowbane Inquisitor and Stalker: These two PrCs might likely be found amongst (Lawful or Neutral) Good-aligned faiths intent on rooting out evil, more likely amongst the faiths of Lathander, Torm, Tyr, Helm, Garl Glittergold and Berronar Truesilver. Regions may not matter as much as the faiths in question.

I planned to make a Paladin/Rogue of Hoar with levels in Shadowbane Inquisitor sometime soon. Some kind of Batman-like character.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:08:16  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I planned to make a Paladin/Rogue of Hoar with levels in Shadowbane Inquisitor sometime soon. Some kind of Batman-like character.

Sounds like a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:46:19  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Knight of the Chalice, I have many (if not most) of the Knights of Imphras II using that PrC, mostly since I feel that the Triadic knight should be reserved for the most pious of the order- those that have been specially chosen for greatness by all three gods of the Triad.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  02:00:53  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm): Such an organization - and Ashworms - more than likely exist in the Plains of Purple Dust and are Chessentan in origin.

Knight of the Pearl (Stormwrack): The order of the Pearl could possibly be an organization of paladins in a maritime area dealing with aquatic operations. Perhaps Aventernus is a newly-appointed demigod aligned with the Triad who watches over coastal or sea communities? The DM can decide how this can work.

Lord of the Tides (Sandstorm): This PrC would likely be taken up by residents of the Anauroch desert as well as those from Zakhara.

Rimefire Witch: Replace with a non-evil-aligned deity of cold regions, like Ulutiu, or powerful Outsider dealing with cold.

Sea Witch (Stormwrack): Umberlee would likely have Sea Witches amongst her worshippers, and may have levels in the PrC herself, probably in place of 8 Wizard levels and 2 levels of cleric or fighter. Deep Sashelas or Valkur may have the occasional Sea Witch as well who would be more benign in intent.

Stormcaster (Stormwrack): This PrC is most likely affiliated with deities such as Talos or Umberlee. Some Air or Water Genasi or D'Hini might find this PrC appealing as well, seeing their elemental backgrounds being congruent with storms.

Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm): Probably come from clerics of Baelros, the aspect of Talos.

Wavekeeper (Stormwrack): This is likely a PrC utilized by clerics or druids of Deep Sashelas, Ishtishia, Umberlee or Valkur. Racially, while some land-borne humanoids may occasionally adopt this PrCs, most Wavekeepers are likely Aquatic Elves, Merfolk, Sahuagin, Tritons or Water Genasi.

Winterhaunt of Iborighu (Frostburn): Auril is the best substitution for Iborighu, though change the alignment requirement to allowing Lawful Evil alignment instead of Chaotic Neutral.

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  03:55:35  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I have used the following PrCs heavily in my Bloodstone/Demonlands games:

Pious Templar (Complete Divine)- elite temple guardians and bodyguards to important clergy as well as Heavy foot troops of the churches of Torm, Helm, Kelemvor (which I have taking part in cleansing the area of both Demons and Undead),the Red Knight (worship of whom was brought to the region by mercenaries hired by Gareth Dragonsbane to help clear Vaasa), and Tyr. Mostly paired with Paladin, but also makes for exceptional Fighter/Clerics.

Hospitaller (Complete Divine)- Heavy Cavalry/Combat Medics in service to the churches of the Triad, Helm, and the Red Knight. Again, pairs very, very well with Paladin.

Shaaryan Hunter (Shining South) while this *is* a FR PrC, I have repurposed it for the Nar tribesmen.

Hunter of the Dead (complete warrior)- for the non-paladin Kelemvorites in Vaasa

Justicar (Complete Warrior) for a number of itinerant Damaran 'Wardens' who travel the vast expanses of slightly-populated forest, especially in the northeast; they were especially useful to bring lower-level PC's back alive to a local lord that wanted 'to have a word' with the troublemakers.

Knight-Protector (complete warrior) Perfect for Helmites- paired with the Knight class, makes for a great defensive character; also used for bodyguards for nobles and merchant-princes.

Nature's Warrior (Complete Warrior) I used this for a few of the Circle of Leth's members; namely those that were less contemplative, and more given to 'direct action' to solve problems. They were the first to fall to the Blight, and a Blightspawned Druid/Nature's Warrior/Blightlord is actually pretty darn scary to even a high-level party.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:19:27  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Pious Templar (Complete Divine)- elite temple guardians and bodyguards to important clergy as well as Heavy foot troops of the churches of Torm, Helm, Kelemvor (which I have taking part in cleansing the area of both Demons and Undead),the Red Knight (worship of whom was brought to the region by mercenaries hired by Gareth Dragonsbane to help clear Vaasa), and Tyr. Mostly paired with Paladin, but also makes for exceptional Fighter/Clerics.

Hospitaller (Complete Divine)- Heavy Cavalry/Combat Medics in service to the churches of the Triad, Helm, and the Red Knight. Again, pairs very, very well with Paladin.

Shaaryan Hunter (Shining South) while this *is* a FR PrC, I have repurposed it for the Nar tribesmen.

Hunter of the Dead (complete warrior)- for the non-paladin Kelemvorites in Vaasa

Justicar (Complete Warrior) for a number of itinerant Damaran 'Wardens' who travel the vast expanses of slightly-populated forest, especially in the northeast; they were especially useful to bring lower-level PC's back alive to a local lord that wanted 'to have a word' with the troublemakers.

Knight-Protector (complete warrior) Perfect for Helmites- paired with the Knight class, makes for a great defensive character; also used for bodyguards for nobles and merchant-princes.

Nature's Warrior (Complete Warrior) I used this for a few of the Circle of Leth's members; namely those that were less contemplative, and more given to 'direct action' to solve problems. They were the first to fall to the Blight, and a Blightspawned Druid/Nature's Warrior/Blightlord is actually pretty darn scary to even a high-level party.

Pretty inventive there, if I do say so myself.

As far as the last quote, I'd say that or maybe switch Blightlord for Blighter, and you'd have something interesting, if maybe more geared for a lower-level party.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:42:49  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Pretty inventive there, if I do say so myself.

As far as the last quote, I'd say that or maybe switch Blightlord for Blighter, and you'd have something interesting, if maybe more geared for a lower-level party.

Glad you enjoyed, Galuf!

As for the Druid/NaW build, they had one (or 2 for later encounters) levels of Blightlord, mostly as fluff. The game idea was that they were the front line of Dun-tharos' defenses against the Rotting Man, and thus were some of the first of its defenders to be blighted themselves; most of them became mindless killing machines, but 3 of them were individuals who had a dark side prior to being blighted and 'went with it', becoming Blightlords rather than merely Blightspawn. They were always surrounded by a bodyguard of blighted Ranger/Nentyar Hunters (another UnE PrC), with each Druid leading an elite strike team with certain objectives, but carte blanche in achieving them. The PC's came to fear and eventually hate them, (and particularly their leader, a volodni Drd14/NaW2/Blightlord2 with his Half-Fiend Dire Bear companion), since they either escaped (Word of Recall, party of one!) or were resurrected repeatedly by the Rotting Man.
The plethora of Paladin/Knightly builds was occasioned by the fact that there was very nearly a shooting war betwixt Damara and Impiltur, and the (mostly LG) PC's were caught in the middle, and I wanted the different factions to have significantly different troop types, despite being 2 nations dominated by Paladins.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  03:11:58  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear Warrior (Complete Warrior): Most likely to be used by the berserkers of Rashemen, especially from a berserker lodge that idolizes bears. Fyodor could likely have been a Bear Warrior, for example.

Entropomancer (Complete Divine): Likely a worshipper of Shar focused on destroying all life.

Gray Guard (Complete Scoundrel): Likely acting as FBI or CIA-type agents of a church who intends to root out evil wherever it may be in a society. Most likely found in large cities where corruption is possible but orders of paladins may exist. Most common faiths with Gray Guards in their ranks include Gaerdal Ironhand, Helm, Torm or Tyr.

Order of the Bow Initiate (Complete Warrior): The Order of Bow could possibly be placed within an area close to nature and attracting archers, such as Cormyr or Silverymoon.

Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine): Substitute Pelor with Amaunator, Horus-Re or Lathander.

Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine): Most likely found within jungle areas such as Chult or Maztica.

Shining Blade of Heironeous (Complete Divine): Replace Heironeous with either Torm or Tyr.

Ultimate Magus (Complete Mage): Most likely found amongst arcane spellcasters in Aglarond. The Simbul could likely have levels in this PrC herself. Silverymoon and Waterdeep may possibly produce an Ultimate Magus as well, as could Halruaa or Nimbral.

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:27:23
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  17:21:18  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerspell Mages & Shapers (Complete Adventurer): Likely an order of roguish spellcasters, either belonging to a thieves' guild or more likely affiliated with the Harpers.

Foculan Lyricist (Complete Adventurer): Also likely an affiliation with Harpers, or perhaps found in druidic communities or cities like Cormyr or Silverymoon.

Well, at least for all the books I have, I think that pretty much covers it.

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 30 Mar 2011 03:28:08
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  18:37:31  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does the Ashworn Dragoon come from? I'm running a Chessentan campaign and could make use of it.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  03:21:50  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Where does the Ashworn Dragoon come from? I'm running a Chessentan campaign and could make use of it.

Sandstorm; an enviroment-based D&D accessory. In fact, I should just as well label what all the PrCs come from...

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  08:27:43  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Galuf!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000