Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Another Specialty Priest PrC evaluation needed.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  02:05:13  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Once again, I could use some appraisal of a prestige class I'm making to determine whether it's overpowered, underpowered, or just about right. This time around, it's my take on the Battleguard (of Tempus) PrC, based on the specialty priest from Faiths & Avatars.

Battleguard
Hit Die
: d10

Requirements
Skills
: Concentration 6 ranks, Craft (Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing) 2 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks
Feats: Combat Casting, Power Attack, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd-level divine spells; must be able to cast spells from the Strength or War domains.
Deity: Tempus
Special: Must have fought and killed an opponent of equal HD or greater in melee combat without assistance during a battle with at least twenty occupants.

Class Skills
Concentration (Con), Craft (Armorsmithing) (Int), Craft (Weaponsmithing) (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Spellcraft

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
: The Battleguard does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.
Base Attack Bonus: As the Fighter class.
Saving Throw Bonuses: As the Cleric class.
Spellcasting: +1 to divine spellcasting class at each level except 4th and 8th.
Battle Frenzy (Su): At 1st level, a Battleguard can induce themselves into a near-unstoppable battle frenzy once per day. The Battleguard gains a +2 divine bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws for 10 rounds. For every additional two levels of the Battleguard prestige class the character has, they may also cause an additional ally within a 10-foot radius to enter such a state. However, the ability cannot be cancelled voluntarily and cannot be dispelled, and the character will randomly attack any target if they run out of hostile targets to fight until the duration of the effect expires. If an ally under the effect of Battle Frenzy dies, they lose the benefit of the ability. If the Battleguard dies while under the effect of a Battle Frenzy, the effect ends for all effected allies.
Chosen Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, a Battleguard can imbue a melee weapon that they have the Weapon Focus feat for in a tenday-long ceremony at a specific temple of Tempus (DM can create temples to facilitate this action) so that the weapon in the Battleguard’s hands acts as if the Battleguard has extra proficiency with akin to a Fighter. The weapon’s capabilities gain the benefit of a certain Fighter proficiency feat as allocated by the appropriate level in the table below:
Battleguard Level				Proficiency Feat
2nd 						Weapon Specialization
6th						Greater Weapon Focus
10th 						Greater Weapon Specialization
The Battleguard can only use this supernatural ability with one weapon. If the weapon in question is lost or destroyed, the Battleguard must imbue a new weapon
Examine Weapon (Ex): At 3rd level, a Battleguard can determine a magical melee weapon’s enchantments as if they used the Identify spell (without using such a spell) by simply handling such once per day.
Bonus Feat: At 4th level, and once again at 8th level, a Battleguard can choose a bonus feat of this list as long as they meet the prerequisites: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Improved Parry, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Sunder, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind
Prayer (Sp): At 5th level, a Battleguard can cast Prayer as a spell-like ability once per day.
Heroes’ Feast (Sp): At 9th level, a Battleguard can cast Heroes’ Feast as a spell-like ability once per day.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 10 Feb 2011 15:18:23

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  02:27:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can offer you the 2E Specialty Priest of Tempus stats from FRA if you like, Galuf.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  02:51:41  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

I can offer you the 2E Specialty Priest of Tempus stats from FRA if you like, Galuf.

Uhhhh... well, what I'm doing's supposed to be 3.5 Edition and I'm using the entry from Faiths & Avatars (2nd Edition). I'm not understanding what purpose that sending me the FRA (which I don't even know what that means) would really serve.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  03:58:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, I summarize from the Forgotten Realms Adventures (FRA) (a 2E sourcebook):
  • Weapons allowed: all Bludgeoning, Spiked Gauntlet, any one other weapon of choice (must be a melee weapon)

• Armor allowed: Any, no shield may be used if weapon of choice 2-handed

• Bonus skills (at no cost): armorer, blind fighting, charioteering, weaponsmithing

• The priest has an excellent feel for weapons; he is able to discern the workmanship and potential magical ability of any weapon merely by handling it. He can determine the magical pluses (though not other special magical abilities) of any weapon in which he is proficient.

• The priest has a consecrated weapon (always his weapon of choice); this particular weapon gains +1 magical bonus. If the weapon is lost or destroyed then another can be consecrated through a ceremony lasting one week.

• 1/day the priest can incite a berserk rage in themselves and others (up to 1 person/level). The rage lasts exactly 10 rounds, even when battle is ended, berserk characters suffer 5 damage each round they do not attack a living target.

• The Spiked Gauntlet is worn as a symbol of office, especially by priests of high rank (usually worn by priests of authority, especially those in charge of a temple or leading a crusade). Spiked Gauntlet costs 10gp (although more elaborate ones are found in important churchs), weapon stats are similar to a cestus or dagger.

• I know this is a 3.5E PrC, just offering the old lore to give you new ideas.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36784 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  04:01:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:

Uhhhh... well, what I'm doing's supposed to be 3.5 Edition and I'm using the entry from Faiths & Avatars (2nd Edition). I'm not understanding what purpose that sending me the FRA (which I don't even know what that means) would really serve.

Forgotten Realms Adventures. It was a hardcover that flipped the Realms from 1E to 2E, and had lots of nifty things in there -- including what was expanded into the specialty priests of Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  05:13:16  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

lol, I summarize from the Forgotten Realms Adventures (FRA) (a 2E sourcebook):
  • Weapons allowed: all Bludgeoning, Spiked Gauntlet, any one other weapon of choice (must be a melee weapon)

• Armor allowed: Any, no shield may be used if weapon of choice 2-handed

• Bonus skills (at no cost): armorer, blind fighting, charioteering, weaponsmithing

• The priest has an excellent feel for weapons; he is able to discern the workmanship and potential magical ability of any weapon merely by handling it. He can determine the magical pluses (though not other special magical abilities) of any weapon in which he is proficient.

• The priest has a consecrated weapon (always his weapon of choice); this particular weapon gains +1 magical bonus. If the weapon is lost or destroyed then another can be consecrated through a ceremony lasting one week.

• 1/day the priest can incite a berserk rage in themselves and others (up to 1 person/level). The rage lasts exactly 10 rounds, even when battle is ended, berserk characters suffer 5 damage each round they do not attack a living target.

• The Spiked Gauntlet is worn as a symbol of office, especially by priests of high rank (usually worn by priests of authority, especially those in charge of a temple or leading a crusade). Spiked Gauntlet costs 10gp (although more elaborate ones are found in important churchs), weapon stats are similar to a cestus or dagger.

• I know this is a 3.5E PrC, just offering the old lore to give you new ideas.

Oh, well, I honestly know a majority of that (mostly about the berserker rage thing and the consecrated weapon), which I already incorporated into the PrC with the "Battle Frenzy" and "Chosen Weapon" abilities, as well as the bonus skills. I mean, I've had page 160 of Faiths & Avatars right in front of me for hours, and much of the same info's there. The spiked gauntlet thing might be there somewhere in Tempus' entry, but I haven't found it yet, and I'm also trying to juggle real-life obligations.

But seriously, folks, what do you think of it? Does it need work? Is it fine?

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 10 Feb 2011 05:16:04
    Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
    Great Reader

Canada
    3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  12:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Maybe remove the craft skill requirement.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
    http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
    Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
    Senior Scribe

USA
    527 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  14:37:49  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Well done...
    Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  15:22:03  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alisttair

Maybe remove the craft skill requirement.

You really think so? Alright, that might work.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4430 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  17:38:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Couple of questions:

Does Battle Frenzy interfere with spellcasting like normal Rages do? As interesting as the feature is, I'm fearful that going into this sort of attack mode will stop any sort of versatility or buff-application the Cleric can really dish out.

Also, why is he given the ability to use Prayer as a spell-like ability when the class already has easy access to that spell? I like the idea, but the spell is already on his spell-list so I don't understand it's usefulness as a SLA. I'd be more inclined to give him something from the Bard or Wiz/Sor spell list like Heroism or Haste 1/day.

As for the Craft (Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing) 2 ranks prerequisite, I think it works well as your a cleric of the God of Battles so it makes sense to keep some sort of flavor for keeping up you and your allies weapons and armor. Still, in the Skills section, I'd just give them proficiency with just Craft (any) in case they develop a love for Alchemy or Bowmaking.

The spellcasting progression is really great, but might be considered overpowered. I'm glad it wasn't 5/10 as we've seen from a lot of PrCs in books thugh 8/10's is a bit much for a full BAB progression AND good Fort and Will saves. Possibly reduce the spellcasting to 7/10's might be better. So you'd progress in all levels except 1st, 5th, and 10th.
    Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2011 :  18:48:59  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Diffan

Couple of questions:

Does Battle Frenzy interfere with spellcasting like normal Rages do? As interesting as the feature is, I'm fearful that going into this sort of attack mode will stop any sort of versatility or buff-application the Cleric can really dish out.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for noticing.

quote:
    Also, why is he given the ability to use Prayer as a spell-like ability when the class already has easy access to that spell? I like the idea, but the spell is already on his spell-list so I don't understand it's usefulness as a SLA. I'd be more inclined to give him something from the Bard or Wiz/Sor spell list like Heroism or Haste 1/day.

Well, that's what the Specialty priest in Faiths & Avatars was said to be able to do, so I was going by that.

quote:
    As for the Craft (Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing) 2 ranks prerequisite, I think it works well as your a cleric of the God of Battles so it makes sense to keep some sort of flavor for keeping up you and your allies weapons and armor. Still, in the Skills section, I'd just give them proficiency with just Craft (any) in case they develop a love for Alchemy or Bowmaking.

Sounds like an interesting proposition, although it seemed rather like Tempus worshipers are highly attuned towards melee combat. I'll mull over that a bit and maybe double-check the Foehammer's entry in F&A.

quote:
    The spellcasting progression is really great, but might be considered overpowered. I'm glad it wasn't 5/10 as we've seen from a lot of PrCs in books thugh 8/10's is a bit much for a full BAB progression AND good Fort and Will saves. Possibly reduce the spellcasting to 7/10's might be better. So you'd progress in all levels except 1st, 5th, and 10th.

Yeah, sounds more like it. Glad I decided to consult boardmembers before definitely posting it.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  04:08:12  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Okay, here goes the second shot. All changes are in red.

Battleguard
    Hit Die
    : d10

Requirements
    Skills
    : Concentration 6 ranks, Craft (Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing) 2 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks
    Feats: Combat Casting, Power Attack, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd-level divine spells; must be able to cast spells from the Strength or War domains.
    Deity: Tempus
    Special: Must have fought and killed an opponent of equal HD or greater in melee combat without assistance during a battle with at least twenty occupants.

Class Skills
    Concentration (Con), Craft (Armorsmithing) (Int), Craft (Weaponsmithing) (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Spellcraft

Class Features
    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
    : The Battleguard does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.
    Base Attack Bonus: As the Fighter class.
    Saving Throw Bonuses: As the Cleric class.
    Spellcasting: +1 to divine spellcasting class at each level except 2nd, 6th and 10th.
    Battle Frenzy (Su): At 1st level, a Battleguard can induce themselves into a near-unstoppable battle frenzy once per day. The Battleguard gains a +2 divine bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws for 10 rounds. For every additional two levels of the Battleguard prestige class the character has, they may also cause an additional ally within a 10-foot radius to enter such a state. The Battleguard and affected allies cannot cast spells during this effect, but can utilize melee combat-related feats, skill-checks or class abilities. However, the ability cannot be cancelled voluntarily and cannot be dispelled, and the character will randomly attack any target if they run out of hostile targets to fight until the duration of the effect expires. If an ally under the effect of Battle Frenzy dies, they lose the benefit of the ability. If the Battleguard dies while under the effect of a Battle Frenzy, the effect ends for all effected allies.
    Chosen Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, a Battleguard can imbue a melee weapon that they have the Weapon Focus feat for in a tenday-long ceremony at a specific temple of Tempus (DM can create temples to facilitate this action) so that the weapon in the Battleguard’s hands acts as if the Battleguard has extra proficiency with akin to a Fighter. The weapon’s capabilities gain the benefit of a certain Fighter proficiency feat as allocated by the appropriate level in the table below:
    Battleguard Level				Proficiency Feat
    2nd 						Weapon Specialization
    6th						Greater Weapon Focus
    10th 						Greater Weapon Specialization
    The Battleguard can only use this supernatural ability with one weapon. If the weapon in question is lost or destroyed, the Battleguard must imbue a new weapon
    Examine Weapon (Ex): At 3rd level, a Battleguard can determine a magical melee weapon’s enchantments as if they used the Identify spell (without using such a spell) by simply handling such once per day.
    Bonus Feat: At 4th level, and once again at 8th level, a Battleguard can choose a bonus feat of this list as long as they meet the prerequisites: Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Improved Parry, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Sunder, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind
    Prayer (Sp): At 5th level, a Battleguard can cast Prayer as a spell-like ability once per day.
    Heroes’ Feast (Sp): At 9th level, a Battleguard can cast Heroes’ Feast as a spell-like ability once per day.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
    Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  06:58:41  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Very good. You take much like I do... straight from the 2ED books. Good work. Just remember... "play" your PrC's before you play them! And then let someone play that PrC in a game as a NPC and see how it works out. Then let another game member play a NPC with that same PrC and see how each person plays that same PrC differently. That's pretty much how you home brew play-test. On the other hand... you could simply just create a PC and gear towards that PrC and once you achieve that status, you can judge for yourself wheather or not you should game it with others.
    Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4430 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  14:21:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Very good. You take much like I do... straight from the 2ED books. Good work. Just remember... "play" your PrC's before you play them! And then let someone play that PrC in a game as a NPC and see how it works out. Then let another game member play a NPC with that same PrC and see how each person plays that same PrC differently. That's pretty much how you home brew play-test. On the other hand... you could simply just create a PC and gear towards that PrC and once you achieve that status, you can judge for yourself wheather or not you should game it with others.

I second this approach. Even if it's just a couple of quick "skirmish" battles with a character using this PrC. It doesn't have to be an elaborate campaign, just a few battles against appropriate CRs or ELs.

I see the Prayer SLA is still there. If your insisting on keeping the spell-like ability, I'd suggest at least 2/day at 5th level and 3/day at 10th level.
    Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:17:42  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    This is what I was afraid of... The problem is I don't have a group or whatever to play-test with. At least if someone else were to play-test it, it would work, but the question is, who? I, for one, live in an isolated area of northeast Connecticut, so... what now?

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4430 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:04:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

This is what I was afraid of... The problem is I don't have a group or whatever to play-test with. At least if someone else were to play-test it, it would work, but the question is, who? I, for one, live in an isolated area of northeast Connecticut, so... what now?

Tell you what, I'll have a nice, big play test with this PrC and a few others and I'll let you know how it plays out. Sound good?
    Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
    Senior Scribe

USA
    526 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:21:52  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Tell you what, I'll have a nice, big play test with this PrC and a few others and I'll let you know how it plays out. Sound good?

Deal.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
    Great Reader

Canada
    3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  18:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Go Diffan. Thumbs up! The master playtester

Thinking further about the craft requirement, since its an OR and its a lowly 2 ranks, it seems allright.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
    http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000