Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Apocalypse Now for All Realms Authors or Serenity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:24:23  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
n/a

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 01 Apr 2011 23:06:10

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying my best to work on my next book and a few short stories I've promised people, but to be honest the closer we get to March 1st the more jittery I get. Not Martin-Sheen-in-a-Saigon-motel jittery, but, well, let's just say distracted.

Keep in mind this is my first novel, though, so other folks are probably calmer and more collected.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  00:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the past several years, I've worked pretty continuously on one thing or another. I don't have extended periods where I'm just hanging around wondering how the new book will be received when it finally hits the stores. I'm much more likely to be stressing over whether my work in progress is developing properly or coming out as a steaming pile of hackwork.

I do get edgy right before royalty statements are due, though, particularly if I had a new book come out in the quarter the statement covers. That's when I find out if anybody bought it.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  01:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I read this, I immediately thought:

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I--hurkk!!!"

Which kind of sums up the whole writing/publishing cycle, in a sense. You go through all this effort and convince yourself it's going well, and it can all evaporate randomly and for the sake of a tense atmosphere--not even plotting. (Curse you, Joss Whedon!)

To answer the OP, it's a mountain of suck waiting for something to come out. As you publish more and more, you get used to the waiting. Also, as RLB mentioned, when you're working continuously on lots of things, you usually don't have time to sit and think about it.

What's most important is that you mark the occasion with some form of celebration, just to keep your spirits up.

I've also got to a point where I generally don't read reviews of my work unless someone specifically points me to it. I appreciate positive reviews and think very little of the vast majority of negative reviews*--it takes a very little person to go out of his/her way to go online and lambast somebody. If you don't like the book, why waste the time?

(*Note: The exceptions would be well thought-out, reasoned, and careful reviews, i.e., this particular theme didn't work for me, I thought this character was unrealistic, I didn't understand why this character did this, or the plot failed at this particular point, etc. The majority of negative reviews are "I hated this book" or "I threw it in the trash" to which I say, "well, there's money wasted that you could have got from a used bookstore.")

Going the next step, I like feedback, but I like *personal* feedback. If you've read one of my books, whether you liked it or not, I want to hear from you about the why--so I can make the next book that much better. I like hearing from people personally, because it makes them accountable for what they're saying, and so they're more inclined to say only those things they've thought about and hold a strong opinion about.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 04 Feb 2011 01:38:46
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  12:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
"I threw it in the trash" to which I say, "well, there's money wasted that you could have got from a used bookstore.")

I think Dennis said something about throwing some FR books in the trash that he didn't like at some point...or an intent to I think...something along those lines I believe.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  13:33:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
"I threw it in the trash" to which I say, "well, there's money wasted that you could have got from a used bookstore.")

I think Dennis said something about throwing some FR books in the trash that he didn't like at some point...or an intent to I think...something along those lines I believe.

Indeed. I know it's a waste of money. But wasting money sounds better than wasting time and torturing myself with utter boredom. It's like eating in a new restaurant. I order, take a bite or two of the food, and order something else when I find it bland.

A friend once suggested that I still keep those books I didn't and wouldn't finish, in case someone visits my library and finds it interesting. However, it irritates my very eyes to see those books in my library.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  13:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Indeed. I know it's a waste of money. But wasting money sounds better than wasting time and torturing myself with utter boredom. It's like eating in a new restaurant. I order, take a bite or two of the food, and order something else when I find it bland.

A friend once suggested that I still keep those books I didn't and wouldn't finish, in case someone visits my library and finds it interesting. However, it irritates my very eyes to see those books in my library.

So if you eat at a restaurant like you read books, you mean that instead of saying you don't like it and try to get a refund or a different meal, you pay for 2 meals and eat one, am I correct?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  14:10:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  16:40:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cute Mom: "Tsk tsk, I'll bet book-starved children in California would love that book."

quote:

So if you eat at a restaurant like you read books, you mean that instead of saying you don't like it and try to get a refund or a different meal, you pay for 2 meals and eat one, am I correct?

quote:

Yes.
Restaurant: 2, Dennis: 1.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2011 :  16:58:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cute Mom: "Tsk tsk, I'll bet book-starved children in California would love that book."
Cheers

My mother tried the starving kids in china arguement with me back when I was 4...she then left the kitchen to take a phone call...upon returning she found a sealed box on her plate with this written on the top:

To: The Starving Children in China, Love Ashley

and yes....it was my uneaten Spaghetti-O's along with what she had not finished as well

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 04 Feb 2011 16:59:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  04:25:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

So pass the books along. Replacing my collection, I wound up with a lot of duplicates. I took them to the local Goodwill.

Doing something like that gets them out of your sight, and it gives someone else a chance to read something they might enjoy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  05:08:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I might do that next time. However, whenever I'm held by the compulsion to throw a book, I can't resist. It’s like I don’t get satisfied till I actually see it in the trash.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  22:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It could be worse. You could be one of those swashbuckling individuals who shoots out the TV screen when he doesn't like what's on.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  22:22:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Then I must be glad that I don't watch TV at all.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  05:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

It could be worse. You could be one of those swashbuckling individuals who shoots out the TV screen when he doesn't like what's on.
Yeah, seriously. That takes a kick out of my bank account every week or so. I gotta stop watching Jersey Shore.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  23:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading 'Unclean' at the moment Richard. Cracking read, I can't put it down.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  00:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you're enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  01:18:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not paid, it is always a concern if what I submit will see print. There is I think always the concern about submission and when released. The did I waste my time and effort type thing. For those under contract clearly not only wanting to see printed is the compensation for efforts - as some FR Authors have clearly indicated.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  01:28:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean the authors don't work for free?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  02:13:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

You mean the authors don't work for free?

Well some do work for free, however it does not pay well. *Wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  04:26:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic. MeM, I read that book, too, and I've often wondered the same thing. Also, is there a point where you get worried when the book actually comes out?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  06:46:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Yeah, seriously. That takes a kick out of my bank account every week or so. I gotta stop watching Jersey Shore.

Cheers

You really should. A friend of mine just did.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000