Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Where to go now
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windmortal
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  01:30:22  Show Profile  Visit windmortal's Homepage Send windmortal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Maybe a little advice from you guys would be cool. I guess I'm not that new to the genre .... I read the Avatar Trilogy many moons ago, but want to read it again.
I posted this in my introduction because I'm new around here. Looking for some advice.

As far as FG goes, I've read the Icewind Dale series and the Dark Elf Trilogy. I'm just finishing up Cleric's Quintet now, and have Silent Blade and Spine of the World ready to go. I'm guessing finish out the other two in the series and move on, but to where?

Should I read another Drizzt, or move away from that for awhile and explore some other areas and authors. Should I do the Avatar trilogy right away or something else?

There's so much to do and I'm not sure where to go next ..

Thanks for the help ...

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2011 :  02:12:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello windmortal, as this is quite a subjective thing to answer, you might want to take a look at the thread, where similar questions have been asked before and widely answered and discussed: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4893

If you are not bored yet by Salvatore, then why not finish his stuff first? Regarding other authors: I recommend you check out the thread mentioned above.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  18:25:12  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend any of elaine cunningham's many tomes. Try the Starlight and Shadows trilogy or Evermeet.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  20:55:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are of course two more books in the Avatar Series - Prince of Lies and Trial of Cyric the Mad. I consider Prince of Lies one of the better Realms novels, even though I personally despise Cyric The Useless.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2011 :  22:46:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend Ed's earlier works...The first 5 books of the Elminster saga.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

windmortal
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  04:41:21  Show Profile  Visit windmortal's Homepage Send windmortal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, and thanks.

Gonna finish Quintet then Silent Blade, Spine and finish that series. Then, not sure.

I'd really like to explore some of the darker areas of the realms. Meaning, I've been reading about the heroes for the most part, but want to go in a different direction. Is there any suggestions for that road?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  14:43:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For "darker part," you might want to read The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers. It detailed Thay's long and bloody civil war. And check out Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale and Twilight War trilogies.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 Jan 2011 14:44:49
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  20:13:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windmortal

Well met, and thanks.

Gonna finish Quintet then Silent Blade, Spine and finish that series. Then, not sure.

I'd really like to explore some of the darker areas of the realms. Meaning, I've been reading about the heroes for the most part, but want to go in a different direction. Is there any suggestions for that road?

Try and Ghostwalker and Depths of Madness by Erik Scott de Bie and Bloodwalk by James P Davis. All three are stand alone novels and have plenty of dark goodness.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  21:01:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windmortal

I'd really like to explore some of the darker areas of the realms.

I also recommend The Shield of Weeping Ghosts by James P. Davis and Starlight and Shadows trilogy by Elaine Cunningham.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000