Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 -
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  01:30:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Drain"? Doesn't that sound awe-inspiring? It's indicative of one of the greatest spells they created. For scholars, scribes, and historians I think that works fine. But for the Neths, hmmm, I don't think so. So far the apt name that the Netherese might have used to refer to the phaerimm is tangle.

...Or maybe an asininity of phaerimm. Lunacy sounds fitting, too.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  17:17:30  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to belabor the point, but I’m wondering if the Phaerimm’s breezy, susurrus-like voices might have influenced the terminology? Any ideas on what that would entail? A hurricane of Phaerimm? A storm of Phaerimm? A gust of Phaerimm?

I do like “drain” and “tangle” still.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  18:10:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Not to belabor the point, but I’m wondering if the Phaerimm’s breezy, susurrus-like voices might have influenced the terminology? Any ideas on what that would entail? A hurricane of Phaerimm? A storm of Phaerimm? A gust of Phaerimm?

I do like “drain” and “tangle” still.

I like tangle, myself, though I'm thinking it's the best term offered thus far, and still not the ideal term.

If you want to go with something inspired by their voices, how about a whisper of phaerimm or a chant of phaerimm?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  19:02:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Susurration and sibilation.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  06:43:37  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Lost Empires of Faerûn (p187-189) the terminology for groups of Phaerimm are:

Clutch: 2-5 (hatchlings, juveniles, and young adults)
Hive: 3-6 (adults, mature adults, elders, and revered elders) plus 2-8 offspring

Prior editions of the game listed them as "solitary" under organization, but then somewhat contradicted themselves by claiming they like to live near their own kind under habitat/society.

In Return of the Archwizards terms like SpellGather and WarGather are used, but they seemed to be more of a term used among the Phaerimm themselves (in their own 'undecipherable' language), and of specific military divisions of the group in question, rather than a term that would be used in general or by humanoid adversaries.

Edited by - The Simbul on 07 Jan 2011 06:45:11
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  15:54:09  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about 'nihil' for Phaerimm? As an alternate terminology, with respect to what the Simbul pointed out above.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  17:28:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hive sounds so insectile. I favor the suggestions by fellow scribes. And I think 'dread' fits them perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  19:14:07  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
other than hive-clutch, I've seen ''enclave of'' used

insect-terms works for my Realms where they have a future similar to the Great Race of Yith
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  19:55:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think "enclave of" was used in RotA.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  15:39:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though sci-fi-ish, a quantum of phaerimm sounds good, too.

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  23:16:33  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it relates to Crawling Claws, Monsters of Faerûn lists the number appearing as solitary, group or "applause".

Kick ass.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  01:41:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps A Scribble of Scribes is fitting?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  02:07:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CR's suggestion of an "argument of scribes" is also fitting, though perhaps better suited to sages. Alas, we have only one Sage so we cannot address the plural form.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  02:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Alas, we have only one Sage so we cannot address the plural form.

Thank Lurue for that! Two Sages -- or, more specifically, their two never-ending to-do lists -- would surely rip a hole in the fabric of time and space!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  03:23:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Alas, we have only one Sage so we cannot address the plural form.

Thank Lurue for that! Two Sages -- or, more specifically, their two never-ending to-do lists -- would surely rip a hole in the fabric of time and space!

Well they'd think it was a good idea, scribble a few notes on how to go about ripping a hole into the fabric of space and time.....get distracted.....forget all about their plans
And and .........voila! Were all still safe and sound!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  03:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing that the Lady K isn't reading this. I'd imagine she'd have more than a few "creative" suggestions for what to do with a 'second' Sage.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  04:07:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot speak for the Lady K, though I suspect she wouldn't be satisfied with an argument of Sages.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  07:10:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about 'brood'?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shudder of sharn (for more than 3) or a glisten of sharn (for less than 4). :)

My own fictional world to be launched soon uses fun terms of venery as well; three to five ogres is a risk; a threat is 3+ risks, and a menace is 5+ threats.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  16:47:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Are there terms for a large number of half-dragons? A clutch? What about treats? A thicket of treats, maybe?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  17:22:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

A shudder of sharn (for more than 3) or a glisten of sharn (for less than 4). :)

My own fictional world to be launched soon uses fun terms of venery as well; three to five ogres is a risk; a threat is 3+ risks, and a menace is 5+ threats.
Count me intrigued; I have always been a fan of your work.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Mar 2011 17:22:28
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  18:50:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I cannot speak for the Lady K, though I suspect she wouldn't be satisfied with an argument of Sages.

As if he doesn't already argue with himself often?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  02:57:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A shudder of sharn indeed sounds fitting.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  04:50:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pestilence of Phaerimm.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  05:29:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A gallimaufry of scribes.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:03:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A plethora of piñatas.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:17:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

A Grognard of Sages.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:30:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A grumble of grognards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:35:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

A Grognard of Sages.

I'd rather have an obduracy of sages, since they're the most obdurate beings in the multiverse.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  06:45:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not an adjective I'd have chosen. The Sage we know is far too tolerant and easily distracted to be suitably obdurate; as any conversational musings about muses or musics or mutants will readily demonstrate.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Mar 2011 06:48:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000