Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  05:22:12  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Hi Ed.

I was wondering about the attitude towards orcs and goblinoids in Tethyr. After all, if my memory doesn't betray me, their queen Zaranda befriended an Orog Paladin who died saving her from a hideous monster. Would this lead to people in Tethyr giving lone orcs or goblinoids ariving in the cities the same "benefit of the doubt" that drow in the north have now that Drizzt is well known across the silver marshes?

I'm not Ed, but I recently found some lore on the exact subject on your mind. It's in the description for the (2e) +2 Mace, Krotan's Skullcrusher. Here it is:

---------------------------
Mace +2: 'Krotan's Skullcrusher'

Even the hordes have their heroes, and while they are vilified in civilized company, their deeds are sometimes impressive nonetheless. Krotan was an exceptionally intelligent orc, as far as orcs go, who commanded an ever-shifting legion of ogres, orcs, hobgoblins, and other assorted beasties during the Year of the Lost Lady, 1241DR. It was in this year that a group of orc bandits allegedly kidnapped and killed a Tethyrian noblewoman, and the response from authorities was a genocidal slaughter of orcs throughout the south in her memory. Krotan mounted a defense that ensured his people were not entirely destroyed; though they were displaced. Krotan himself fell near the end of the conflict, and his head was mounted outside the graveyard where the young lady was buried. As a point of interest, orcs called this time the "Year of Pushing Too Far."
----------------------------

Now that happend in 1241DR, but in 1367DR, you're right; shortly before Zaranda became Queen of Tethyr, she had a friend named 'Shield of Innocence,' and he's the orog paladin (of Torm) you're thinking of. Page 40 of Lands of Intrigue goes on to say: "All Zazesspur should be thankful for Lady Star's judgment, for her faith in an orog paladin helped end the evil cloaking Zazesspur. Shield of Innocence was responsible for destroying a lower-planar fiend and saving Zaranda's and Vander Stillhawk's lives in the process. If not for an orog, Tethyr might yet be ruled by chaos."

Also, there are orcs in the Amnish city of Purskull, which is on the road to Tethyr. This all leads me to believe that in the 1370's, orcs within Tethyrian cities are probably not outright feared, but probably subtly feared unless they're with humans or demihumans.

But then there's also the rumors of the Sythillisian Empire in the Small Teeth Hills north of Tethyr, ready to strike. That may have a negative impact on the plight of orcs within Tethyrian cities in the 1360's & 1370's in Tethyr, even under Queen Zaranda's rule.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 11 Nov 2011 05:24:42
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  16:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Apologies, my dear Lady Hooded One, for my interuption of thy delivery of wonderful Realmslore from Ed o' the Greenwood.

Just a note to fellow scribes herein, that today's Candlekeep site update contains the uploaded pages of Ed and The Hooded One's writings from 2008 and 2009. These are viewable directly on Candlekeep or can be downloaded as PDF. Please visit the home page for this and other site updates, or visit the So Saith Ed page for direct download links.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  22:38:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Aluando you mean only the replies from the two of them, if so thanks, I've been trying to do a compiling of their post as well....eye strain....
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  22:43:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed did any other races in your game explore use of chardalyn with magic like Netherese, in 1300's are there any mines of note of chardalyn and in 1370's what would you say would be value of say two dozen of them?

Are there various types as well and is this knowledge of their use with magic common to any but the Netherese and Sarrukh?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  23:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Aluando you mean only the replies from the two of them, if so thanks, I've been trying to do a compiling of their post as well....eye strain....

Well met

Aye, if ye mean Ed and The Hooded One...only postings by The Hooded One (either from her own pen, or Ed's) are containined within (as we have produced for the past number of years). The 2008 and 2009 collated works have just been a long time to pull together, due to various set backs. Enjoy

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  00:50:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Well met

Aye, if ye mean Ed and The Hooded One...only postings by The Hooded One (either from her own pen, or Ed's) are containined within (as we have produced for the past number of years). The 2008 and 2009 collated works have just been a long time to pull together, due to various set backs. Enjoy

I'm partly to blame for that delay, and I again apologise to all the good folk of Candlekeep who have been patiently waiting for this wonderful Ed-lore.

Compiling the lore has started moving more swiftly, now, though, and I'm presently finishing up the 2010 file... stringing in all the disparate replies from either Ed or THO from sources other than the "Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)" scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  16:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I'm asking this timidly because I really, really don't want to come across as churlish, but...
Annual indexes for these later years of So Saith Ed, Sage? As there are for the earlier ones? Pleeeease? :}
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  16:57:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you Sir!!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  19:32:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Table Magic?

Isn't that when a group of chairomancers get together and perform circle magic?

As for the question of Orcs and other Goblinoids in the south and elsewhere - I have proven NUMEROUS times that the only place where "kill on sight" is the general rule is in The North, and since the advent of Many Arrows, the attitudes are even changing there (or, at least, were... its so hard to keep track of 'now' these days...)

I can't give you specific sources any more, but I have done it many times in the past, both here and at WotC. There is one entry in particualr in one of the Lands of Intrigue booklets that even describes a town where Orcs and humans lived together in peace, and half-orcs are common.* Orcs rarely became a problem in the south (most Hordes never made it that far). I have no idea weather the situation with Sythillis(sp?) would have changed that for the better, or made relations worse. Ed or Steven may have an idea, but I doubt they could share their feelings on the subject, given the current state of the Realms. I don't even know if Sythillis is still around.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Markustay, Elminster can definitely send multiple projected images of himself to different locations at the same time, and see, hear, speak, and transmit a few specific magics through them, one of which is a "grasping hand" magic akin to Bigby's but not the same casting at all , which enables Elminster to touch, handle, carry, move, and so on "at a remove" (i.e. if you shake hands with Elminster, you're not REALLY touching "him," so to speak). So El can PERCEIVE as if he could generate avatars.
Looking at my notes, I think El could easily do just what you propose at various times when he was a Chosen, but for some reason not known to me, didn't like to. <snip>
Thank you for the quick response - that was precisely the lines along which I was thinking.

As for the 'why' of it (your final observation), I would hazard to guess it has a lot to do with how much the human mind can handle simultaneously - something El is now currently dealing with. Despite all his 'uberness', the Old Sage is still just a mortal, and being in two places at once must be very strenuous on one's mental state (a mind, apparently, that was already barely clinging to sanity).

And I hate to do this, BUT... another thread reminded me of a question I asked some time ago, which I'm not sure ever got answered - Has there been any notable personages from Earth in the Realms? (Aside from Ed, of course). 'Notable' as in either-way, someone famous accidentally traveling to Toril, or somebody obscure doing so, and becoming noteworthy after entering The Realms. As an addendum to my original question, has anyone from The Realms ever gotten 'stuck' in our world? (or rather, the D&D version of Earth)

*Not precisely how I remembered it, but the entry I was thinking of is on pg.33 of the Amn book, Purskul.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Nov 2011 19:45:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  20:33:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And I hate to do this, BUT... another thread reminded me of a question I asked some time ago, which I'm not sure ever got answered - Has there been any notable personages from Earth in the Realms? (Aside from Ed, of course). 'Notable' as in either-way, someone famous accidentally traveling to Toril, or somebody obscure doing so, and becoming noteworthy after entering The Realms. As an addendum to my original question, has anyone from The Realms ever gotten 'stuck' in our world? (or rather, the D&D version of Earth)

Of course! Jimmy Hoffa, Amelia Earhart, Elvis...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  02:33:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I'm asking this timidly because I really, really don't want to come across as churlish, but...
Annual indexes for these later years of So Saith Ed, Sage? As there are for the earlier ones? Pleeeease? :}
I'm putting indexes together, but it's slow-going, since it can be time-consuming correlating all the relevant references.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  05:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
Continuing on questions about Ravens Bluff; in my campaign, I'm developing the political situation from the book The City of Ravens Bluff.

In that book, the Council of Lords claims the exclusively right to appoint a Deputy Mayor, but the Council of Merchants disputes this and threathens to appoint their own Deputy Mayor. The matter was referred to the Advisory Council.

Obviously, the unmasking of Mayor Thoden as Myrkyssa Jelan and subsquent political crisis interfered with that situation. However, after the once-and-future Mayor Charles Oliver O'Kane regained power, the issue of the Deputy Mayor had to be settled at some point.

I'm postulating that the Advisory Council suggested that the Deputy Mayor could be 'elected' in a similar fashion as the Mayor, i.e. by citizens pledging money to their campaign and the one amassing the most winning the post (all monies end up with the city). This could go a long way to replenishing the drained coffers of the city and it neatly severs the Gordian knot of neither Council wanting to back down.

The election will be held the day after Midsummer in 1373 DR.

Going by old Ravens Bluff Trumpeters*, I have the following candidates for election:

Field Marshal Lord Charles Frederick LaVerne Blacktree.
General Lord Knight Rashaverak Dandelion.
Lord Speaker Lady Katherine Marie Moorland Blacktree.
Lord Silver Fox.
[Lord Knight Lorien Darkarrow]**

I know that Lord Silver Fox is apparently a speciality priest of Waukeen and the former proprietor of Potions, Lotions and Notions. He was somehow responsible for the rescue of Waukeen from the Abyss, which is certainly impressive enough. According to the Trumpeter, he is supported by Lady DeVillars and thus extremely likely to win.

What I do not know is anything more about the character. Whence the strange name? Could Silverfox be a cognomen he assumed or was given and he actually has a more Realmsian first name? What are his politics?

Can Ed add anything to the candidates named above? Anyone else who'd covet the job of Deputy Mayor, which as a newly elected position would implicitly carry with it some backing to carry out a system of legal changes, if desired?

I want someone to be a representative of the merchants of the city, run of a platform of curbing public spending on military matters and ease some of the excessive tax burden seen after the recent war. What citizen of Ravens Bluff might be good for that?***

Edit: Even though he is noble, not a common merchant, I had wondered if Urgrave Osklavar Boldtalon would not be a good candidate. He is beloved by the merchants and given that the most reviled tax in the city is a land tax on properties within the bounds of the city, he is certainly adversely affected by it. Well, even if I do feature him as a candidate, I'd like to see if Ed can suggest someone who could represent the merchants of the city as well. Who among them could really pull together a lot of cash in order to have a say in city government?

I'm also wondering if I need a conservative noble candidate, someone to safeguard traditional noble privileges, given that Blacktree is committed to maintaining a strong and glorious military (and is easily manipulated) and Moorland is an adept diplomat who is not averse to sharing power with merchants if it keeps the peace. Who would be the best candidate for consolidating the 'old guard' noble support?

*Quietly ignoring the sillier aspects.
**Popular candidate, but because of personal tragedies not at all eager to campaign for himself. Remains to be seen if he'll go against the wishes of his supporters and withdraw.
***Obviously, Lord Silver Fox might do for that, but given that he is Lady DeVillars prefered candidate, I should think that he would not be inclined to lower taxes while the city is still in financial distress.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 15 Nov 2011 06:47:47
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  14:43:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

Does Larloch dabble in chronomancy?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 15 Nov 2011 15:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  18:22:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nope.

He doesn't have the stomach for it.

{I crack me up...}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  01:51:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Hey ED can you share any of the noble house names of that temple of lolth metropolis city thats name loses me ayt the moment.
I think its the one under Calimsham...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 17 Nov 2011 01:51:27
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  07:34:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Dennis. Just got an e-mail from Ed, and it contains this reply re. Larloch and chronomancy:

Hi, Dennis. No, Larloch leaves chronomancy alone. That entire school of casting endangers many of his binding spells (that bind his liches to him, that bind cast and "hanging" [[ready to deal damage]] spells to him, and that bind magic items (used like machine gun emplacements in his site defenses) to him. It's perilous exploration for no great gain that he can see, at very high risk. And Larloch got where he now is by being very cool-headed, patient, and calculating. No good ratio of return vs. risk? Then avoid. There are many, many other projects to pursue that he KNOWS will be more successful.

So saith Ed. Who is involved in many, many things right now, most of them deeply NDA'd (or so he tells me).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  07:42:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thank you, Ed and THO!

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  01:14:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hi All,

These are all "What If" questions.

Ed in your own campaign what would happen if Selunarra returned, first and foremost how far would you say the magical ripple would be of it reentering Faerun, radius-wise? Are there beings currently in faerun who regardless of distance from reentry would know that the city had returned immediately?

In your realms who would be some of the beings of note upon Selunarra and what would they do immediately upon reentry, would any of them also know that other beings in faerun knew they had returned other than those who actually witnessed it's return?

Would you say they would already have "eyes" in faerun to get them up to speed if the city was suddenly returned in 1373?

How much time would they have to prepare once the ritual was enacted and the city crossed planes, is it instantaneous in your minds eye?

Thanks for any little tidbit.
Could they prevent the city from returning via the ritual described in LOEF if it placed city in jeopardy upon returning?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  03:17:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Dennis. Just got an e-mail from Ed, and it contains this reply re. Larloch and chronomancy:

Hi, Dennis. No, Larloch leaves chronomancy alone. That entire school of casting endangers many of his binding spells (that bind his liches to him, that bind cast and "hanging" [[ready to deal damage]] spells to him, and that bind magic items (used like machine gun emplacements in his site defenses) to him. It's perilous exploration for no great gain that he can see, at very high risk. And Larloch got where he now is by being very cool-headed, patient, and calculating. No good ratio of return vs. risk? Then avoid. There are many, many other projects to pursue that he KNOWS will be more successful.

So saith Ed. Who is involved in many, many things right now, most of them deeply NDA'd (or so he tells me).
love,
THO

Again, thanks!

Just a follow-up:

Is there any prominent archwizard in Toril who dabbled in chronomancy at some point in their long [or short] existence? Or who still does? [Other than Jeriah, of course.] Khelben? Elminster? The Srinshee? Telamont? Arklem Greeth? Gromph? Szass Tam? Lady Polaris? Lallara? The Simbul?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  03:25:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Are there any FR terms for 'informant'? Like how they are called 'rats' or 'snitches' here?

If this has been addressed before, or anyone else has an answer, then my thanks and my apologies for being redundant.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  16:20:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

I'm researching on the world's most difficult to translate words. I found out that Ilunga, from the Tshiluba language spoken in south-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, has been chosen by numerous translators as the world’s most untranslatable word. Ilunga indicates a person who is ready to forgive any abuse the first time it occurs, to tolerate it the second time, but to neither forgive nor tolerate a third offense.

What word [in any of the dead or present languages in Toril] is the most difficult to translate in Common [or English]?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  03:03:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
another question and its on neverwinter of old.....

what did Nasher Alagondar's coat of arms look like?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  06:41:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a sane, live human wizard has to eat/drink?

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Nov 2011 13:46:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  07:46:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Is there any prominent archwizard in Toril who dabbled in chronomancy at some point in their long [or short] existence? Or who still does? [Other than Jeriah, of course.] Khelben? Elminster? The Srinshee? Telamont? Arklem Greeth? Gromph? Szass Tam? Lady Polaris? Lallara? The Simbul?

I've long postulated that Laeral of the Seven Sisters spent a year in Myth Drannor. That would explain how the spell "Laeral's Dancing Dweomer" is found in The Workbook, one of the spellbooks of the Seven Wizards that introduced such worthies as Tulrun of the Tent and Caligarde.

She likely even met a very young, unnamed Khelben Arunsun there ... but that's a story for another day.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  10:57:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a wizard has to "eat/drink"?

I'd imagine that this depends on the caster... I know that once my grandfather made pork brains and scrambled eggs for dinner. He was loving it -- I thought it was so vile that I actually wiped my tongue off with a paper towel after taking a taste.

So one caster may love crunching on a spider while casting spider climb, but the next one may have to fight his gag reflex to do the same thing.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  13:44:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

What's the most distasteful/horrible spell ingredient that a wizard has to "eat/drink"?

I'd imagine that this depends on the caster... I know that once my grandfather made pork brains and scrambled eggs for dinner. He was loving it -- I thought it was so vile that I actually wiped my tongue off with a paper towel after taking a taste.

So one caster may love crunching on a spider while casting spider climb, but the next one may have to fight his gag reflex to do the same thing.

Generally speaking, that is. I'm sure no "sane" human wizard would find a dead rat palatable. But I edited my previous to make it a little bit more specific---since "wizard" encompasses all sorts of beings, including undead/quasi-undead who can swallow things that common "live" human wizards would find absolutely distasteful.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Nov 2011 13:47:38
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  13:49:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Hi, Ed!

An advance Valentines question for you:

How do you say "I love you" in all the "known" [dead and present] languages of Toril?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  15:05:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've long postulated that Laeral of the Seven Sisters spent a year in Myth Drannor.
Have you ever postulated further what Laeral may have actually done during that year in Myth Drannor, Krash?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  17:58:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring two responses from Ed.
The first, to what Krash has posted about Laeral:

Heh. That postulation is more than correct. ;}

And the second, to this from Dennis: "What word [in any of the dead or present languages in Toril] is the most difficult to translate in Common [or English]?"
Ed replies:

Dennis, I’m not certain, but of all the Realmslore I’ve created, it would probably be the Draconic word “rlin’d’kraukh”
. . . which means, in Common: “small and somewhat intelligent mammal that is not a transformed dragon nor the favored of a dragon nor carrying a dragon egg or seed or other dragon relic, wittingly or unwittingly, that is, so far as I know, not openly and formally an ally, servant, slave, or worker-in-common-cause with a dragon, but that is a coerced or unwitting pawn I believe I can manipulate, whose behavior I can predict with fair confidence, because of its observed prior behavior under duress or manipulation of myself or other dragonkind.” (This is further colored by usage: a dragon would not use this word of someone they weren't eager to manipulate because they considered the creature to be manipulated relatively weak, unsuitable, or distasteful. They use it for ideal or useful pawns they anticipate using in successful ways.)

Note: by “small and somewhat intelligent,” what is meant is a creature habitually of smaller size than an older-than-newborn-hatchling dragon of my sort, that is intelligent enough to speak, remember messages and individual creatures met in the past, and master at least one articulate language. In other words, humans (and all of the demi-human and humanoid races).

There are certainly many more baffling words in the Realms, that have to do with faith-specific religious concepts or school-specific magical details . . . but they are specialized jargon, not difficult to translate at all for those who have the proper frames of reference (are of the right faith with the proper inner teachings, or have the right magical mastery and knowledge).
For instance, it’s hard to describe the color green to someone who’s been blind from birth - - and it’s hard to describe the feel of the Weave when working with it in certain manners under particular conditions, to someone who’s never “felt the Weave” because they have no aptitude for the Art at all.
But for someone who has shared experiences or guild initiations or technical training with the speaker, word meanings come more easily.

So saith Ed. Who has been slowly developing Realms linguistics for forty-five years now, and is still going strong...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  01:49:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Thanks, Ed and THO! That's an interesting word. I wonder, are the languages of the aboleths and the phaerimm more complicated than draconic?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 60 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000