Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 60

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  15:17:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. As many helpful scribes have pointed out, Azuth, your player's elf can't be "the first elf on the moon." Unless she somehow goes way, way back in time.
In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer), and there's abundant forest wildlife (accent on the "wild"), with settlement taking the form of meandering roads linking small "clearing" farms and hamlets.
Now, that's not to say she can't try to be "the first elf on the moon" . . . and get a REAL surprise when she arrives there.
Long ago, Ed suggested to the RPGA (of which he's a Charter Lifetime Member) that the moon be a "relief valve" for any Realms campaign, a place where a DM located commerical-published adventures they wanted to run, that didn't "fit" with the campaign they'd developed, if they wanted to avoid a long trip across the face of Faerun to a spot where the misfit adventure seemed "best located."
PC dreams should be striven for, just as real-life dreams. They don't always work out, but life IS the striving. So I'd say "go for it," and see what happens.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. As many helpful scribes have pointed out, Azuth, your player's elf can't be "the first elf on the moon." Unless she somehow goes way, way back in time.
In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer), and there's abundant forest wildlife (accent on the "wild"), with settlement taking the form of meandering roads linking small "clearing" farms and hamlets.
Now, that's not to say she can't try to be "the first elf on the moon" . . . and get a REAL surprise when she arrives there.
Long ago, Ed suggested to the RPGA (of which he's a Charter Lifetime Member) that the moon be a "relief valve" for any Realms campaign, a place where a DM located commerical-published adventures they wanted to run, that didn't "fit" with the campaign they'd developed, if they wanted to avoid a long trip across the face of Faerun to a spot where the misfit adventure seemed "best located."
PC dreams should be striven for, just as real-life dreams. They don't always work out, but life IS the striving. So I'd say "go for it," and see what happens.
love,
THO

Fantastic! I'm all for shock value, too. I suspect it shall be months before the party discerns exactly how they're going to make their "moon shot" and having an already-colonized Selūne awaiting them will be excellent! Thank you fellow scribes, and of course, Lady THO.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Greetings Great Greenwood.
In Volo's Guide to the North, it is mentioned that a group of elves fought and slayed Grintharje, a balor tanar'ri who ruled tue keep for centuries.
What would be the identity of these elves (names, possible class, etc...)??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  16:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Greetings Great Greenwood.
In Volo's Guide to the North, it is mentioned that a group of elves fought and slayed Grintharje, a balor tanar'ri who ruled tue keep for centuries.
What would be the identity of these elves (names, possible class, etc...)??

Also, I don't have the Hellgate Keep adventure module handy with me (or The North boxed set), but just to clarify (another scribe might know this), but did this battle occur while the Keep itself was still standing (I forget the exact year the aboveground portion crumbled or exploded or what have you)? Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  17:28:04  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message
Dear THO, dear Ed, I am very grateful for the quick and informative reply!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  02:23:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
So are the star elves from the moon?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  02:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'm going to prevail upon fair use and post the two relevant paragraphs from Hellgate Keep, since it's really too good a story not to share:

quote:
Just after the start of the Year of the Wave (1364 DR), the Keep's patrols captured seven Evereskan elves spying on the citadel and brought them to Grintharke. The bored balor decided after 17 months of thoroughly interrogating (in other words, despicably torturing) the elves to allow himself a chance at play. He faced all seven elves in his personal gladiatorial arena. They were allowed to fight him fully armed with their own weaponry, for none in the Keep felt they stood a chance against Grintharke (especially since none of the tanar'ri in the Keep could face him themselves). Once the elves were revived from their drugged states, they sprung their trap. As Grintharke and none of the other tanar'ri were familiar with the Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth, they could not have known what dangerous items Grintharke's foes wielded against him. The balor stood firm, toying with the elves and striking to wound to prolong his foul playtime. When one elf finally brought the Shattering Swords together, the blades exploded in a flurry of razor-sharp shards that immediately engulfed the wielder and then descended on the balor. While any other foe would have died instantly, flesh stripped from bone by the shard swarm, Grintharke's toughened flesh and magic resistance actually allowed him to survive for a whole minute before expiring. In that time, he managed to draw at least three of his elven foes into the swarm with him and witness their deaths before his own.

With the fall of Grintharke, the four remaining elves sought to destroy as many of the tanar'ri commanders of the Keep as possible while they stood in shock around the arena. Though the elves only survived a few minutes beyond Grintharke, they managed to destroy Grintharke's vrock second-in-command, the only tanar'ri capable of controlling the other greater and true tanar'ri.

Those are some seriously brave elves....

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 20 Apr 2011 02:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  03:30:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

If there is a connection there, it's not yet been mentioned in Realmslore.

The lore about Leira-worshippers living on the moon is canon, but I've aways felt it was a bit awkward... I love the Realmspace supplement from a Spelljammer standpoint (that's where that lore first appeared), but I have issues with it from a purely FR standpoint.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  03:32:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Did the Knights or the Crazed Venturers ever make it there?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  04:56:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Given the extra-dimensional nature of the star elves, I don't think that's too much of a stretch, but it's nothing that's been made official.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  04:57:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Are these "farms and hamlets" similar to what we'd find on Toril, or something different?

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Dear THO, I have a question to aim your way. I've been rereading the Shadowdale supplement from the old 2e Revised box set, nodding to myself about how it works wonders as a home base for adventurers. No surprise there, considering that the Knights are just such a group. But it got me thinking about what it was like before the time period of the setting.

Can you share some memories of how Shadowdale was when the Knights first arrived? When was their first visit, what was it like, who was in charge, how many wenches did Torm seduce, that sort of thing. I've got a pretty good idea of what was happening in the Dale, but less so of exactly when the Knights showed up, and when they started to take a serious interest in the place as opposed to just use it as a stop-over. I'd be interested in hearing as much as you care to share.

Thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:33:26  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer)

So does that mean the moon, when viewed from Toril, is green? Iow can those forests be seen?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  21:19:25  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
SHHHH guys, I'm trying to get a NDA out of the old man.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
gomez, I think THO means that's what the forests look like when you're on the moon. As, in being there is how you can see them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  21:59:57  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

quote:

In Ed's campaign, the moonscape is very much like a largely-unspoiled elven forest (save that moonlight is blue-ish, daylight has a silver sheen, and reflections shimmer)

So does that mean the moon, when viewed from Toril, is green? Iow can those forests be seen?

Gomez

Depends if in Ed's campaign if there is an illusion covering the surface of the moon.

What I'm curious about is what do they farm and if any of those products appear in Toril's markets?

And in Post-Spellplague the illusion has been gone for 100 years, so when viewed from Toril you can rely on this quote from the Wailing Years article: "The surface of the moon, long presented to us mortals as a barren landscape of craters and lifeless valleys, now revealed to me majestic mountains and sprawling seas; itself alight with similar cobalt radiance."

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 20 Apr 2011 22:38:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  04:07:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, here's my first fleeting attempt at a reply to your query: "Can you share some memories of how Shadowdale was when the Knights first arrived? When was their first visit, what was it like, who was in charge, how many wenches did Torm seduce, that sort of thing. I've got a pretty good idea of what was happening in the Dale, but less so of exactly when the Knights showed up, and when they started to take a serious interest in the place as opposed to just use it as a stop-over. I'd be interested in hearing as much as you care to share. Thanks, as always."

Here we go . . .
I’m “on assignment” just now, and will have to be brief as opposed to loquacious, but here’s the nutshell of the conditions in Shadowdale when we arrived:

There was an air of tension, and deep cynicism, among the folk of the dale, who were expecting to be overrun sometime soon by huge Zhentilar armies. For some seasons (after the death of Lord Aumry), the Zhents had made forays into the dale (including proclaiming Jyordhan as "Lord") but been kept from conquering it because the drow trading with certain unscrupulous human traders (in Sembia and Hillsfar and Cormyr) through their surface connection at (the ruins of) Castle Grimstead, just west of the dale, were occupying the Twisted Tower.
Whenever Zhents entered the Tower, the drow butchered them. Whenever Zhents tarried in Shadowdale overnight, drow emerged from the Underdark and slaughtered them.
In the midst of all this, Syluné and Elminster and Storm (plus the Harpers from all over the Realms shuttling to and from Storm’s farm, and also at times to Syluné’s Hut and Elminster’s tower) did their best to keep as many folk of Shadowdale alive as possible, and to eliminate any REALLY bold/strong drow AND Zhent forces.
Into this uneasy cauldron of beautiful forest and lurking death we Knights stepped, and had to fight our way into the “abandoned” (in truth, drow-infested) Tower and fight to hold it, while the folk of the dale watched us rather suspiciously. We befriended Jhaele and were made welcome at the Old Skull Inn, but everyone else held back warily. In part that was because of the behaviour of the Zhent “Lord of the Tower” who’d preceded us, in part that was due to the anticipation that our arrival would provoke the long-expected Zhent army attack (eventually, it did), and in part that was because the Dalefolk had a local problem: a werewolf in their midst (Lune Lyrohar; see the census in the Old Grey Box) that they were hoping we’d take care of; it was their “little test for us,’ and when we did eliminate her, but with regret and respect, we rose in the regard of the locals, and they STARTED to accept us. Florin attracted a lot of interest from local females (and didn’t exploit that - - but Torm DID exploit that, as you suspected).
I’ll have to grab enough time to sit and recollect before I can say much more; SO many adventures have happened since those early days in Shadowdale . . .
Great question. Thanks for asking it, and taking me back down memory lane . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  15:19:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
A bit more Hoondatha, before I rush off again...
When we Knights first arrived in Shadowdale, there was "officially" (according to the Zhents, anyway) a (Zhent) Lord of Shadowdale, but in daily truth and practice, Jhaele had the most influence and her inn was the meeting-place and "court of public opinion" for local social matters, Sylune was the local "doctor," Storm and her Harpers were the local law enforcement, and Elminster was the "backup threat" they could reference but who hardly ever appeared.
So WE became the local law enforcement, being watched like hawks and judged by all. Right away. There was no "just use it as a stop-over" until much, much later, when Mourngrym was Lord, after Doust's retirement.

Bakra, they farm for local (lunar) consumption, but I know they export moon wine to Faerun; it's highly prized in Silverymoon and the Tashalar, and by elves everywhere.

Must go now.
until next,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  20:47:44  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Who was the zhent lord of Shadowdale at that time? Were they actually sending someone down during the time of no lords?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  03:41:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. They sent dozens (perhaps scores) of Zhent-appointed "Lords" riding into the dale. Long before we arrived, the folk of Shadowdale took grim satisfaction in slaying those who didn't flee (a handful bolted on into Cormyr, seeing their doom but knowing they also had to leave the Brotherhood, change their names and appearances, and start new lives far from the Keep), and caravan-sending parts of them back to the Keep. It was their way of defying Manshoon's presumptuous "I'll conquer you soon, so I'll pretend I've conquered you already" behaviour.
Manshoon was apparently amused, and started using Shadowdale as a testing-ground for overly-ambitious Zhentilar.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  17:29:24  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
So the "Time of no Lords" could more properly be titled "the time in which Manshoon kept appointing lords and the people of Shadowdale kept killing them" or "the time of a lot of dead lords?"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  20:03:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It could indeed. :}
However, as it's a period of time in Shadowdale, and from the POV of the folk of Shadowdale THEY had no lords (a "rightful" Lord of Shadowdale being someone who holds the Pendant of Ashaba, lives in the Tower of Ashaba, and fulfills all the duties of lordship, including governing the dale, serving as "justicar" [magistrate], organizing Dalefolk in all sorts of local everyday activities, providing aid and shelter when the need arises, etc.), they naturally call it the "Time of No Lords."
The Zhents don't refer to it at all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed what is or what was the most poisonous/venomous

Insect

reptile

plant

animal

drake

magical creature

In faerun, what is/was the most poisonous of all time, and who of note has been laid low from such poisons/venoms.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  12:49:02  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
I conveyed your post to Ed, Knight of the Gate, along with MY post (to make sure he didn't have any disagreements with what I said when speaking for him), and he says:

"Right on" in both cases. Both you and Knight of the Gate have put it very much as I would; we're all thinking of these deities in the same way.
Knight of the Gate, your suspicion is correct: a beloved of a warrior departing for war or away at war would pray to all the deities of war: Tempus that the fighting went well, Torm that the "right" cause or side (always, of course, the one the beloved's warrior is part of) prevailed thus far and will continue to prevail, and Helm that the warrior (and any he or she is charged to protect) survived unharmed, or in wounded, as lightly as possible. There would also be prayers to Lathander (renewal), Chauntea (natural vitality/cycle, therefore auspicious healing and endurance of diseases/taints that cause wounds to fester), Eldath (that water be pure, and free from disease, and that it cleanse, etc.) and so on (including to patron dieties of the clan/family/dwelling-place of the warrior, for the reasons you outlined: to bring the warrior back home [alive and unharmed if possible; failing that, as alive and as lightly harmed as possible; failing that, last message or token; failing that, honourable/meaningful death - - and above all, death - - that is, freedom from undeath, and a horrible undead existence]).
Venerations, for almost all beings in the Realms, is always a tapestry of pantheism, not monotheism. Aside from priests and paladins, very few individuals in the Realms are dedicated to a lone deity.
There is a very short popular "common prayer" made by those (even "civilians" forced to fight by circumstances) going to war/at war:

All divinity protect us,
Our own wits deliver us,
Our own strength defend us,
Our cause prevail!

There is also a very short popular 'common prayer' made by others on bhealf of those going to war/at war:

May the sun and the moon see (him/her/them) whole
May the strife go well
May it soon be ended
May all endings be bright in the long passage of years

Hope that helps.
Ed

So saith Ed, creator of the whole show, and still its busiest ringmaster.
love,
THO

I've been super-busy at work, so I just now got a chance to read this. I was reasonably certain that I had a good grasp on the Realmsian war-gods, but it's good to hear it from The Man! It's not at all coincidental that I came to those conclusions while serving in the military some years back, I suppose. Separately, the insight into prayers for those in harm's way is just 100% awesome Realmslore.
If I had my druthers, this thread would be 'Ed musing on the Divine'; of course, then we'd miss out on the details of life on the moon, or the best place to buy gloves in Daggerdale, or what the Knights were thinking when they.... Nonetheless, I would pay cash money for a massive 'Worship in the Realms' book, and I'm sad that various exigencies kept it from ever being written.

Onward, then; THO, I have a Knights-related question; namely, did the Knights from ever really abuse their power? (I'm not talking, here, about Pennae or Torm's light-fingeredness, but rather taking advantage of a situation in which they could have 'done good' to instead enrich or empower themselves). If so, details, please! If not, why?Was it the threat of the 'mighty ones' around them (Storm, Dove, El, et.al.) that would have done away with them, or was it more just that the individuals were innately altruistic? I ask b/c every party I've ever run has had a moment of weakness in which they (if only for a moment) stopped working for the greater good and decided that it was time to get theirs and throw morality to the wind to either gain something that they wanted or to eliminate someone that they hated.

In any case, thanks again for the above!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Knight, we have had moments of weakness, to be sure. Torm and sometimes Lanseril sometimes advocate exploiting what's easy pickings, especially from the Zhents or Red Wizards or other "bad" targets/potential victims. We tend to let Torm pilfer from evildoers. Yet here's the double key: some of our players run their characters as genuinely altruistic (Florin, Doust, Jhessail), and we ROLEPLAY all "war council" discussions within the party, always (and Ed encourages this). The Knights don't often "dungeon crawl" so much as we navigate subplots and endless intrigues, so we usually go into a situation with aims held high, rather than reacting to monster attacks and traps.
So we genuinely DO "stand up for good" (though we can be wrong about consequences and other individuals as often as the next guy), and doing so makes us feel better, and we enjoy that sort of play. In Ed's hands, the Realms is a fascinating place, and being as we can call on Harpers for food and shelter if we ever get really destitute, money is secondary to DOING things. Adventurers tend not to have much social status anyway, we aren't interested in bigger houses and kidney-shaped swimming pools because we're always on the move and because we tend to see them as stationary targets where we "know" a rich corrupt merchant can be found (lounging in HIS pool, I mean), so we're not all that interested in material things, except as means to ends. It doesn't hurt that we found some rich treasures early on and hid them well, and so can call on them if we have to . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  20:11:56  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Knight, we have had moments of weakness, to be sure. Torm and sometimes Lanseril sometimes advocate exploiting what's easy pickings, especially from the Zhents or Red Wizards or other "bad" targets/potential victims. We tend to let Torm pilfer from evildoers. Yet here's the double key: some of our players run their characters as genuinely altruistic (Florin, Doust, Jhessail), and we ROLEPLAY all "war council" discussions within the party, always (and Ed encourages this). The Knights don't often "dungeon crawl" so much as we navigate subplots and endless intrigues, so we usually go into a situation with aims held high, rather than reacting to monster attacks and traps.
So we genuinely DO "stand up for good" (though we can be wrong about consequences and other individuals as often as the next guy), and doing so makes us feel better, and we enjoy that sort of play. In Ed's hands, the Realms is a fascinating place, and being as we can call on Harpers for food and shelter if we ever get really destitute, money is secondary to DOING things. Adventurers tend not to have much social status anyway, we aren't interested in bigger houses and kidney-shaped swimming pools because we're always on the move and because we tend to see them as stationary targets where we "know" a rich corrupt merchant can be found (lounging in HIS pool, I mean), so we're not all that interested in material things, except as means to ends. It doesn't hurt that we found some rich treasures early on and hid them well, and so can call on them if we have to . . .
love,
THO

Lady: could you ask Ed if he plans on publishing further tales of the Knights? I have always felt that The Sword that Never Sleeps was a great book, but it left unanswered the exact story of how Rathan and Torm joined the Knights. Since the books say "series" and not "trilogy" is seems that additional books could be published. If the exact answer is NDA, I'll take whatever answers Ed can skirt around. Many thanks!

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  23:01:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Lady: could you ask Ed if he plans on publishing further tales of the Knights? I have always felt that The Sword that Never Sleeps was a great book, but it left unanswered the exact story of how Rathan and Torm joined the Knights. Since the books say "series" and not "trilogy" is seems that additional books could be published. If the exact answer is NDA, I'll take whatever answers Ed can skirt around. Many thanks!

I'm sure Ed would love to write a dozen 600-page novels about the Knights... What WotC wants to publish is a different story, though, and they're the ones who decide what does and does not see print.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  00:39:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

I'm sure Ed would love to write a dozen 600-page novels about the Knights... What WotC wants to publish is a different story, though, and they're the ones who decide what does and does not see print.

Very much so. And Ed has covered this topic, somewhat, in previous replies.

A search of the "So Saith Ed" archive would -- specifically those concentrated on the Knights and their published adventures -- would be recommended.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  00:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
A search of the "So Saith Ed" archive would -- specifically those concentrated on the Knights and their published adventures -- would be recommended.

…and has been done, but still leaves me yearning for many answers; fear not, Sage: I do attempt to use the search feature before posting my questions.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  15:31:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Dear Ed and THO,

Would you be so kind and give us some background history on the following fallen Netherese enclaves? Who were the archwizards who ruled them? What was life like then? Did some of their inhabitants survive? If yes, where are they now?

There's so little information about them; and some, none at all:

Akinataer
Aquessir
Frenway
Hlaungadath
Jethaere
Juksidur
Lathery
Lhoada
Maunator
Nhalloth
Orbedal