Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spell that temporarily mimics Spell Storing?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  17:47:24  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I seem to recall a spell that can be cast upon a weapon, allowing for a spell to be stored into the weapon. I'm not talking about the Spell Store bonus you can add to a weapon. I'm not sure if it allows for a different spell to be stored, or it is the spell itself that is stored into the weapon.

I'm searching and coming up blank on results.

Essentially, I'm wanting to give a PC a weapon that has a deadly spell stored within it, without having the weapon itself be a Weapon of Spell Storing.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  18:05:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The duskblade class in 3.5 allows a PC to cast spells through their weapon, and I think there was a PrC that did something similar, but I can't think of any spells off-hand that do that. It might have been in the old Complete Wizard's Compendium.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  23:32:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a few 2E spells that do what you describe, Wenin, but they all require the weapon is a wizard's staff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  00:21:33  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Dragon Issue 200 "The Whistling Skeleton" by Ed for a spelltouch spell,the pertinant bit is below

You can also use the Gem Magic Feat to achieve similar results, I would rule that as long as the weapon has a gem in it somewhere then it works :)

Cheers

Damian

This spell, cast on a nonliving item,
allows another spell (priestly or wizardly
magic of third level or less) cast
on it in the following round to remain
dormant until the item touches
a target creature. The caster of the
spelltouch can specify what race and
sex, or type (undead, summoned,
living, avian, etc.) of creature will
trigger or be affected by the second
spell.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Gavinfoxx
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  00:53:23  Show Profile Send Gavinfoxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd ask this one on mythweavers, giantitp, or brilliantgameologists...
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  07:22:21  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are spells in 3E era that allow you to temporarily add magical properties to an ordinary weapon, such as bane with the bladebane spell and keen with the keen edge spell. The disadvantage being that it is temporary and requires a spell slot and spellcasting ability, the advantage being no cost in crafting and that it does not take away "space" for other permanent properties on the weapon.

Using those as an example I would just create a spell that temporarily gives the weapon the spell storing ability. Probably a spell of 4th or 5th level, and having a duration of either:

A) 1 minute/level and able to store and unleash different spells throughout the duration as allowed by the weapon ability.
B) 10 minutes/level but the duration ending once the stored spell is discharged.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  16:50:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not have the sword have a wand chamber in the hilt, as seen in Dungeonscape (or Cityscape, I can't remember ATM). There are a couple of variables that we need to know to help you out:

• What spell do you wish to be channeled? The level of the spell, etc..

• Who's the sword intended for? If it's a PC with arcane spellcasting abilities such as a Duskblade, Hexblade, or some Ftr/Wiz or Ftr/Sor mix?

• How often do you want the spell to last or be used? And do you want this property to be renewable such as per day or finite such as charges?

Some answers here will definitly help us find solutions to the question at hand.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  20:04:04  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking to have the weapon store a one use Vampiric Touch. I wanted to have an NPC imbue the blade of a PC, hence why I wasn't really willing to give the PC a weapon with spell storing, but still wanted it for an assassination he was to accomplish.

So I just wanted a one use spell storing placed on a blade that didn't have that property.

The thing is the game session I was to use it for has already occurred.

I had really thought there was such a spell.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000