Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Naval Battle of Lisen Sands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  20:21:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The River is only mentioned once in all three Raven's Bluff products, in the main sourcebook and the entry is in regards to the Orcs of Vastar and the Elves, who also apparently fought over the river. That conflict was too far back in the past to be what we are looking for. There is also this -
quote:
From the ToT Tantras Module
In the Dragon Reach area, Sembia will move quickly to seize Scardale from the Zhentilar, and both Hillsfar and Mulmaster will try to exploit the lack of Zhentish naval superiority in the Moonsea by attacking her shipping, blockading her harbor, and mustering warriors for attacks upon her. Mulmaster will firmly block the northern end of the River Lis by sinking old barges and rotting cogs and stationing six ships crammed with catapults and archers nearby. Passage from the Dragon Reach into the Moonsea will be temporarily impossible.
That would have been during the Avatar crisis, and probably immediately following the destruction of Zhentil Keep (not sure though - haven't really checked the timeline of the modules or those stories). Either way, it is about a decade late (again) for that battle.

I still think it is an errant entry that was supposed to be set in 1357, but whatever. Hopefully Ed will be able to clear this up.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2010 04:20:24
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  03:34:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the Living City books has any references to the Lis that I could find.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like so many other of Ed's "throw-away" citations, I suspect that he intended the DM's to use this event as they like to improve their campaign. I doubt that Ed has some sort of master list of which ships particpated in the battle, which were sunk, who captained those ships, what acts of heroism (or desperation) were performeed during the battle, and what magic and treasurers can still be dug out of the sand banks of the River Lis at any given date.

This is what we, as DM's, are suposed to provide. It is, as they say, an excersize for the student.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
270 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  18:44:48  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Time to ask Ed about this, in his thread. I have vague memories of this being discussed in a hallway at a Milwaukee-era GenCon (vague because I didn't take notes, darn it), and Ed saying then it was part of the struggle between Mulmaster and the other Moonsea ports (e.g. Zhentil Keep, Melvaunt, etc.) for control of the River Lis, but that both swamp monsters AND elves were involved in the fighting, because both of those groups quite rightly (Ed's opinion) were of the opinion that the Lis and its swamps were THEIR territory, not human. Barges and shallow-draft ships went up and down the Lis, aided by magic and sometimes hampered by magic (e.g. cast by the elves).
Anyway, that's what I remember, but Ed obviously knows all about this (hardly surprising, being as he created everything I've mentioned, probably including the battle).
BB

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Blueblade is dead-on correct, according to Ed (who is writing a proper reply for us all, but got delayed by that "rush" Realms work I mentioned).
More from him, ASAP.
love,
THO

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  14:16:22  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK I got the source wrong but I was right about the battle.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
270 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  17:11:04  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's reply about The Battle of Lisen Sands with three awesome post on "Ed 2010 thread p.102".

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 11 Jan 2011 17:12:45
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  11:52:06  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool, many thanks for the notice!

Edit: wow, 6 + 3 postings! And it starts on page 101 for the scribes interested in more lore about River Lis region.

Edited by - Dewaint on 12 Jan 2011 12:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  04:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Ed's reply about The Battle of Lisen Sands with three awesome post on "Ed 2010 thread p.102".

Color me absolutly stunned. Very happy, but stunned by all the information that I missed at the end of 2010. That's what I get for having yet another procedure done on my back before our insurance co-pays reset on Jan 1.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Asharak. I'd have certainly missed it otherwise. Now all I have to do is find a way to re-write my player briefings for my Harrowdale 1348DR campaign, and figure out a way to add much of this information to several of the character's backstories.

Fortunatly, the campaign has been more off than on this fall as I tend to my health, so I think I can manage to accomplish both without too much trouble.

Many thanks also the THO for serving as a most able information conduit and to Ed himself, who gave us such a wonderful sandbox to play in.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000