Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 3E Core Title Font?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  03:44:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all... it's been some time since I've been through these hallowed halls.

I'm trying (with no success, or I wouldn't still be trying) to locate the font used for the titles of the 3.x core rulebooks. Not the logo font, but the font used for the individual rulebook titles. My quest is also posted (with visual samples to clarify the object of my search) here and here. As I've said at both destinations, I'm suspecting that it's either a graphics-only typeface or an in-house-only font that nobody's had the decency to release to the public.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  06:51:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe what you're looking for is on the TSR Fonts page. The customized Masonic font?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  15:13:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep's home page has some "official" fonts. You'll find them by navigating to Alaundo's Library, Wondrous Treasures, then Fonts.

Another option is to use a tool like FontForge to extract fonts from a pdf scroll. There are many other tools which can serve this purpose but FontForge is free and overwhelmingly considered the best. (FontForge is not, however, necessarily easy for the uninitiated to use. Some understanding of gnomish computing machinery, and some reading of documentation, research through the ether, and experimentation is sometimes required. Such topics are better discussed outside the hallowed halls of Candlekeep.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  04:59:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashe: Nope, that's the Realms font (and I've got that one). I'm looking for the core rules cover font. Thanks anyway.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  05:56:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking for this, and having no luck... here's a link to a sample; the link in that post takes you to my original sample image.

Thanks for any insight anyone might have on this matter.

Edit: Part of me suspects that this may not be an actual font, but simply a consistent collection of alphabetic art (for lack of a better description). If this is true, that would make me sad, but at least it would be an answer.

Edited by - Jakk on 23 Dec 2010 05:59:17
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  06:29:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jakk
... Part of me suspects that this may not be an actual font, but simply a consistent collection of alphabetic art (for lack of a better description) ...
It looks, to me, like a standard font was used as the base (probably Hackberry Cutlass Regular, also seen here, though made Bold or using a heavier inkweight), then "artistically" stylized (with an Illustrator or PhotoShop application) - manually positioned letter/text spacing, swash and leg extenders exaggerated into joined liaisons, sharpened corner angles - to produce the static logo image. It looks like the work of a graphic professional knowledgeable about fonts (and there's a lot more to fonts than most people realize, learn more about the basic anatomy/terminology of fonts here.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Dec 2010 06:42:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000