Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Questions about Tyr and Valigan Thirdborn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  02:40:47  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The entries in GHotR book has me intrigued about these two. I am hoping everyone here can help me with these questions and, most of all, if any of the designers can fill the gaps in without breaking NDA. I don't see HOW these could break NDA, it clearly doesn't look like 4th Edition is covering the Realms fast enough to cover these sorts of things, and I doubt these are things the 4E creators want to publish much of anyway.

First, Tyr. Clearly, he is THE Tyr of the Norse Pantheon. It states on page 52 that he was the god of war and justice. Did he just give up the War portfolio to Tempus? Or probably battled Tempus, lost, Tempus let him live and keep Justice?

Second, Tyr is such a lawful deity, one that seeks to uphold the law to properly dispense justice. Also, he is always seen as some sort of judge, even during the Time of Troubles and Cyric's Trial. Why, then, does he not hold the portfolio of Law? Amaunator had it when he was alive, why is it Tyr didn't subsume it when he entered Faerun?

Third, WHY did Tyr enter Faerun? Coupling page 52 with the notes on page 54, it was clear he seemed to arrive out of no where, with no followers, to attack Valigan Thirdborn and all his followers. Which is strange. It only means Valigan was someone he really hated, someone he hated enough to follow him to another world to screw with. And Ao seemed just fine about it.

Which leads to my questions about Valigan Thirdborn.

First, his surname. Thirdborn!? Why does a deity have a last name? And one as strange as that!? The third born of what or whom?

Second, he was the deity of anarchy and, for some reason, chose Jhaamdath to mess with by corrupting the emperor. Being hated by Tyr so much means he might actually be a deity of the Norse Pantheon, maybe Loki? Exactly who is this deity and is it possible for use to get a write up of him? Or is NDA really holding back this trivial piece of lore to the 4E Realms designers?

Third, why hasn't anyone in Faerun acquired the anarchy/chaos portfolio after his death? Is Tyr keeping that in check, bullying any deity attempting to subsume it? Or has it changed to Strife, which is what Cyric currently has a hold over anyway? Though anarchy is simply the process of breaking down order, whereas strife is causing disorder through violence.

I thank the sages here for aiding me in these if they can. I also hope any of the Realms designers can weigh in on this. It's just some Realmslore I would love to see uncovered, even a little, sometime in my life

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  03:23:03  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFTERNOTE: Ok, a quick search on these forums has led me to information given by Eric L Boyd and Ed Bonny, so a little of my questions were partially answered. Still wondering on the rest, though.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  03:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think George Krashos gave Murdane the last name of Firstborn. It seems likely that Valigan is younger brother to Murdane, and that both are probably children of Auppenser.

We had speculated about the Jhaamdathi pantheon in this thread here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5845
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  03:43:14  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you maybe post a link to the lore you found? It might help us to formulate or dig up help to move forward.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  14:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I think George Krashos gave Murdane the last name of Firstborn. It seems likely that Valigan is younger brother to Murdane, and that both are probably children of Auppenser.

We had speculated about the Jhaamdathi pantheon in this thread here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5845

So we have a Firstborn and Thirdborn. Who's the Secondborn, then?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  20:49:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gray said Waukeen

Loki does have two brothers though
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  21:41:23  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Second, Tyr is such a lawful deity, one that seeks to uphold the law to properly dispense justice. Also, he is always seen as some sort of judge, even during the Time of Troubles and Cyric's Trial. Why, then, does he not hold the portfolio of Law? Amaunator had it when he was alive, why is it Tyr didn't subsume it when he entered Faerun?

Maybe they realized that if a god had the portfolio of Law, then you'd need one with the portfolio of Chaos, Good and Evil too. A god of good, or evil, would be a little bit against the whole Divine system of the Realms, where each god represents an ideal(s) that is not limited to a single alignment. That makes the Realms, IMO, more interested than some settings like Dragonlance or LotR, where everything is black, grey or white.

It may, of course, not be the real (or only) reason. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000