Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Mmm... Games for Sale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:06:45  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ahh, Paizo's Black Friday Sale: where you can get books like Serpent Kingdoms for over 80% off.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:19:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Black Friday a USA thing?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:38:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess. It's the Friday after Thanksgiving...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  08:50:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After US Thanksgiving, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  11:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

After US Thanksgiving, lol.

I scoff when I hear some canadians say Thanksgiving here is the same as in the States...ours is on a Monday and we don't have a Black Tuesday....we get our sales on Boxing Day (day after Christmas).

But on topic, good prices there Paizo. Too bad I have a lot of those that I would buy already

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 25 Nov 2010 11:44:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  14:07:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Is Black Friday a USA thing?

Quite. Even though stores start putting out Christmas stuff way earlier -- some as early as August! -- the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season is the day after Thanksgiving. Many stores kick it off by opening way early (some as early as midnight) and having sales.

It's commonly believed that stores don't turn a profit for the year until the day after Thanksgiving. So they're operating in the red the rest of the year, and that's the day they start operating in the black. So far as I know, this is just an urban legend.

Black Friday can be a good day for bargains... But it's also a good day for dealing with huge crowds and utter insanity at any retail location. Some people love shopping on that day... I avoid retail outlets like the plague for the entire weekend!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Nov 2010 14:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  18:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do my best to not even leave my house this weekend. I'm not big on crowds, as well as not being a fan of this time of year anyway, so it's just best I stay home. That way I don't end up in jail for planting some idiot.

My oldest works in a craft store which is actually going to open this evening for a few hours. She was offered working it, but since she is working at her food service job this morning she declined so she could have some semblance of a holiday.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 25 Nov 2010 18:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  18:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ashe!
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  18:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah. Black Friday. Workers and Customers alike die on this day in their mad rush for a sale. Workers get trampled, people do, and does anyone care about the bleeding mass under their foot? No. Not at all. They simply MUST get the Twilight DVD and Book combo for $9.99!

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  21:54:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Programmed frantic seasonal consumerism. I don't watch (don't even own a) TV, never really heard of Twilight so how good can it be? Besides, there's plenty of other DVDs and books. Around here xmas starts going commercial pretty much same the day halloween gets put away.

This Paizo sale appears to be flat across the board, everything marked down by a big chunk! No worries about parking and battering your way through crowded malls. Seems win-win to me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  21:56:49  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Ashe, I never picked up Serpent Kingdoms so now is as good of a time as any, can't beat 2.99 for a book.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  23:30:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive set a ~$25 limit for myself, so many choices, so hard ... Serpent Kingdoms is a must have, pops up in conversation all the time, holds many answers to my questions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  19:14:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, black Friday is terrible. My cousin was at Toy'R'Us around midnight and every parking space was taken and there was a line wrapped around the store. She decided it'd be better to go home.

I'm not a fan either as someone earlier stated that some people get trampled. This, I think, happed a few years back when an employee of Wal-Mart was opening up and was trampled by the mass of people. It just shows how truly pathetic people can be that they're more concerned by sales than stomping on some poor kid.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  19:21:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

It just shows how truly pathetic people can be that they're more concerned by sales than stomping on some poor kid.

I'm sure none of those people thought "ooh, a sale, too bad someone's being stepped on". It's more a thing of -- and this isn't limited to Black Friday sales, sadly -- people just aren't willing to look past their own concerns. They're just too stuck in their own concerns to notice anything else.

Back on topic, I added a few items from this sale to my next shipment... Some good prices! I also decided to try a couple of the Planet Stories books, since those are also on sale and Erik Mona himself recommended a couple of them to me last week.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  23:52:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I camped-out at Walmart all night (from midnight to 6AM) - they ran out of the $400 laptops we were waiting for, so they substituted the $700 ones after they ran out (the one and only time being at the back of the line paid-off).

And they kept the price the same - I got it for $200.

Which is why I slept all day yesterday.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:12:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! I've never done the Black Friday stuff, but I kinda want to now. My buddy got a 55" LCD HDTV for like $400 :(
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:22:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Yea, black Friday is terrible. My cousin was at Toy'R'Us around midnight and every parking space was taken and there was a line wrapped around the store. She decided it'd be better to go home.

I'm not a fan either as someone earlier stated that some people get trampled. This, I think, happed a few years back when an employee of Wal-Mart was opening up and was trampled by the mass of people. It just shows how truly pathetic people can be that they're more concerned by sales than stomping on some poor kid.

Ha! My brother-in-law went there for the Kids Christmas shopping. He saw that the line was serpentine-ing through every aisle in the store, so he grabbed a basket and went to the back of the line. Everyone looked at him funny for getting in line with an empty basket, but he did his shopping as the line moved forward.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  22:44:20  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we need our black fridey, sounds like fun, I love to stampede

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  00:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone out to shop the last few years on Black Friday. I'm always off work that day and I plan it out. It is not a day for casual shopping. You can usually find out what will be on sale and for what price a week or two before the sales so you can compare and plan. This year the stores I was wanting to go to threw out a couple of curve balls. KMart was selling Dragon Age Ultimate Edition for XBox 360 for $35 (normally $60). They were also selling it for that price on Thanksgiving day, so I just went down there that morning and bought it. Unfortunately, the other game they were selling that I was wanting to buy (Mass Effect 2, $10) was only going to be on sale Friday so I still had to go to a KMart to get it. Wal Mart decided to pull a few odd moves. They were open for their normal hours (24 hrs in most locations) through Thursday and Friday, so there was no crowd outside (I assume, I didn't go there myself). Some of their sales went live at midnight, other at 5AM. I had no interest in trying to work that into a schedule. Target came through as usual with their reduced price, out of production LEGO set.

All in all I think what I picked up was $200 or so below regular price. If you are after a number of things, or one or two really good deals on more expensive items, it can be worth it. If you're just after a few movies it's probably better to stay home. Also, there is special advice for Best Buy. If you want one of the computers or TVs that are considerably reduced, you can almost guarantee that you need to be there hours before they open. Last year I saw people camped out in front of the store around 8 in the evening on Thanksgiving. And I do actually mean camped out with a tent and everything. Yeah, you can get lucky and what you want ends up being what everyone in front of you doesn't want but it's unlikely.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000