Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Planescape Questions & Musings
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  03:06:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Gray Richardson
I actually prefer the 3e cosmology (and the 4e cosmology post-spellplague) to the Great Wheel, at least for Toril. That's not to say I don't also love the Great Wheel, I do. But, the Great Tree (now the Great Sea?) works best for planar adventuring in Faerūn, and makes sooooo much more sense when dealing with the gods and myths of the Realms.
I've got a shelf full of Planescape and hardly any later lore on the planes; I don't necessarily "prefer" the Great Wheel model, but for me it's a much more useful and comprehensive reference than the cursory mentions I have handy in my few post-3E materials. I can't judge which model works best.

Yet I don't see any particular reason that any of these models works more/less better than others insofar as interacting with Toril. My experience is that most Realms campaigns are basically always located in the Realms, planar travel is handwaved to fit adventure needs and hardly anybody ever ventures much past the Ethereal or perhaps Elemental planes. A number of NPCs scattered throughout the lands are noted as being sophisticated planar types, but they tend to serve more as "sages" than anything else (and even that very rarely). Sometimes a big priest sort will venture to wherever his deity lives. Unless you want to play a planar campaign, which is then a planar campaign and not really much about Toril at all (treating the Realms as little more than a "planar" headquarters for the party, if even that). I see powers and pantheons easily fitting into any of the official cosmologies; in fact, always carefully placed by the canon. Maybe some models are more "logical" or "organic" than others, but in a Realms-based campaign it makes no real difference either way.
quote:
Markustay
The differences between 1e/2e/3e planer lore are negligible ... 4e really changed things, but its fairly easy to reconcile from the perspective that the universe we knew in 1e/2e/3e was the artificial one.
Perhaps you mean "mechanistic", "arbitrary", "contrived", or "synthetic"? As I understand it, all of the editions exist within an "artificial" cosmology. (I don't even accept the extra-planar models described in RL religions as "real", but that's entirely OT here.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Nov 2010 03:15:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000