Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archvillainess (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  02:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No actually. Take it from someone who has illustrated a few book covers in their illustrative career - the writers rarely (I'm tempted to say 'never') make apart of the story with the cover in mind. Often, they only have minimal input in the cover and that is handled by the publisher.

The trope actually got it's roots in averting a fairy tale trope where beauty also represented purity and goodness. By inverting it in literature, a dangerously deceptive element is created. There are other factors too - the 'bad boy' element (although with a change in the genders involved) also comes into play. People like that which is attractive and dangerous - like fire....or red heads (we're a category of danger unto ourselves). But this appeals more to just the reader, often it's an appeal to the the hero as temptation as well - both in terms of seductive, and in terms of showing mercy they might not necessarily show (often portrayed as a failure of due justice instead of the subtle sexism it usually is). Finally, it's an additional resource of the character to put their plan into action. It provides a sexual element when they often 'sell their soul' in a physical form, in part as a way of showing how far they're willing to go and employ every resource they have available.

It's a trope I wouldn't mind getting rid of, I'd love to see more types of villains (and heroes for that matter - of both genders even) then the young and sexy, but book covers have nothing to do with why they show up in modern literature.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 12 Jun 2016 02:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  05:39:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the funniest things I ever saw with the evil sexy woman trope was one of the abilities that a particular character had in Warmachine.

For a while, the majority of the female characters in Warmachine were very top-heavy and had significant amounts of cleavage...

And one in particular was a Satyxis named Skarre. The Satyxis have large horns coming out of their foreheads, and Skarre used these horns in a particular attack... called "Great Rack."

Either someone was being juvenile, or inadvertently created one of the biggest potential jokes in all of minis-based gaming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  15:27:05  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar, Lovatar, Tiamat, Lloth, Bashbeba, Talona, Umbrelee, seriously all the best realm villianesses are Goddesses.
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2023 :  09:49:26  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar, Loviatar, many of their lady followers.
The frost maiden herself as she is a huge arch villainess with her own miniatures and D&d book.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 14 Feb 2023 09:51:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000