Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 New Forgotten Realms Atlas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  11:53:07  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello Sages of the Realms,

I was thinking about creating a website which gathers all data about the different sites, regions and locations in the Realms, like the old Atlas did long ago.
I think Candlekeep is a good resource, though it lacks of accessibility. Also the different wikis about the Realms have the same problem.
My question is how it would be with the law in US. I know in Germany it wouldn't be a problem, since you don't copy and paste, but you summarize. Furthermore, what would you say about such a project? Any tips, hints, ideas, suggestions, critics?

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)

Hellblazer
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  18:52:46  Show Profile Send Hellblazer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by the lack of accessibility ?I find wikis and the Candlekeep database are pretty easy to use.However, I'm not sure what you mean by accessibility.

The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  09:57:17  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I want a real web-based atlas :-D

Go to Top of Page

Hellblazer
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  19:47:30  Show Profile Send Hellblazer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it is possible to do a map(or in this case bunch of maps,since you want an atlas) with click-able cities/regions.When clicked, it can show the area properties and whatnot.I did something closer to this for my comp sci project back in the day.

The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.

Edited by - Hellblazer on 26 Oct 2010 19:48:36
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  12:07:43  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was my idea, too! The problem are first the maps, but maybe Markus(?) can give some input for that, if you cn use his maps for such a project and for sure all the available data on the forum.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  03:42:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I didn't keep very good notes at first, so some locales I have added over the years I no longer remember where they came form. There are five that I can recall that are non-canon (six if I count the small Stonelands map). Four of the five were created by other people/groups (including one of Sage's I recently found and placed, despite there being a canon town already in that same exact spot).

On my Kara-Tu and Hordelands maps I have probably added 3-5 of my own locales on each, IIRC.

Anyhow, I can't rightly recall where a lot of those places came from - I had planned a pdf atlas with an index of each site named, but after the 4e announcement I kinda lost all ambition for that one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000