Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 High spell DC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  17:23:40  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey...

I was trying to write up the Srinshee, as a lvl 54 wizard in 3.5 rules...

Now with all the levels and feats and chosen abilities... I cant get her to have more than base DC on her spells of 36...

Does anyone know how to give her a boost to her dc?

She is archmage as a prestige class!

Please help!

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Improved Heighten Spell + a couple of Improved Spell Capacity. She could probably have 20th level spell slots which she could use to heighten her other spells. That should boost her spell DC significantly. And as a bonus she would have a ton of spell slots to prepare her spells. :P

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.

Edited by - HelldoG on 12 Sep 2010 17:37:59
Go to Top of Page

KaizokuVizard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  02:01:28  Show Profile  Visit KaizokuVizard's Homepage Send KaizokuVizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I read somewhere that she read the Nether Scrolls in the past, so you can give her a bonus for that.
Or maybe Mystra gave her a bonus for helping Eliminister when he was in Myth Drannor?

Otherwise yea, Heighten spell, Imp Heighten Spell and Improved Spell Capacity.
Or maybe an Epic Spell that gives her a permanent bonus to spell DCs?

"It means only one thing, and everything: Cut. Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. THat is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. THere is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut." - Richard
"The lines are a portrayal of the dance. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisevely, resolutely. Cut into his strength. FLow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  06:19:23  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, in my opinion at least, trying to write anyone up as a 54th level anything is going to lead to some weird numbers since 3.5e(or any system I've seen) isn't really balanced for that high level play. You'd do better to try and make her a high 20s/low 30s caster instead.
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're kidding, right? She cannot by weaker then Elminster & Co, she's The Srinshee, for Lurues sake!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  11:26:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't see why you can't just make it up and give her whatever spell DC you want

Its it a game of imagination after all

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  19:01:03  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster, if I remember correctly, has a caster level of 25, even though his actual class level with the rogue, fighter, cleric, and other levels put him in the 30s. By these stats, giving the Srinshee 27-33 levels in a casting class would make her more powerful than Elminster at spellcasting regardless of the actual class level difference. Damian has a good point as well, for a NPC as powerful as the Srinshee you can easily fudge on the DC and attribute it to magic items you've created, special feats, or whatever it takes to justify it, if you even take the time to justify it. Since your players shouldn't have to worry about her exact save DCs, hopefully not in any case, the DC you give her should be what you think it is without worrying about exactly how she got it there.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:35:17  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its true that I could just say well its The Srinshee for Lurue sake, but I wanted to use the rules. I might give her a special feat here and there, but besides the few tweeks I wanted to use the rules, and that give her a int of 50, +6 dc for arch mage, + 1 for nether scrolls and + 1 for the spellcasting progedy. That results in a base save of 37 i believe.

Where as if one where to make an asimar, paladin, sorcere epic red wizard, arch mage, chosen of bane one could and up with a base save in the mid 40's...

For the number 1 spellcaster in all of Fearun, and one of the oldest elves ever, and by far the most powerful elven high mage ever, it just seems to be very weak. Especially when I compare her DC to my lvl 25 wizard who has a base DC of 31...

I might be doing something wrong!

PS. Its just a write up for my own enjoyment, to see how powerful I can make the MOST powerful... using the rules!
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  21:54:45  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellcasting Prodigy doesn't give bonuses to DC, only to spell slots.
As I wrote in my earlier post, Improved Heighten Spell and Improved Spell Capacity should give you a least +15-20 to DC and an incredible amount of spell slots at very hight levels to prepare with multiple metamagics.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  18:08:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPELLCASTING PRODIGY [GENERAL]
You have an exceptional gift for magic.
Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus spells and
the saving throw DCs of spells you cast, treat your primary
spellcasting ability score (Charisma for bards and sorcerers.
Wisdom for divine spellcasters.
Intelligence for wizards) as 2 points higher than its actual
value. If you have more than one spellcasting class, the bonus
applies to only one of those classes.
Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level
character.If you take this feat more than once (for example, if you are a human or another type of creature that gets more than
one feat at 1st level), it applies to a different spellcasting
class each time.
You can take this feat even if you don’t have any
spellcasting classes yet.
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  18:43:48  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is this from? Because in Player's Guide to Faerun there's no mention od spell DC. Here is the feat from that handbook - Spellcasting Prodigy.

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  20:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

SPELLCASTING PRODIGY [GENERAL]
You have an exceptional gift for magic.
Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus spells and
the saving throw DCs of spells you cast, treat your primary
spellcasting ability score (Charisma for bards and sorcerers.
Wisdom for divine spellcasters.
Intelligence for wizards) as 2 points higher than its actual
value. If you have more than one spellcasting class, the bonus
applies to only one of those classes.
Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level
character.If you take this feat more than once (for example, if you are a human or another type of creature that gets more than
one feat at 1st level), it applies to a different spellcasting
class each time.
You can take this feat even if you don’t have any
spellcasting classes yet.

That's the 3e version. They limited DC increasing feats in 3.5 because of way too much power creep.
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  20:52:31  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Nicolai is doin't The Srinshee in 3.5 edition rules, so... tough luck, Nic. :P

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  21:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an easy fix bro. Since she's the chosen of the ENTIRE Elven Pantheon and Mystra, you can have the chosen status give her extreme bonuses to her intelligence and or save DC's

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:30:39  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...+6 dc for arch mage...

That's not right by 3.5 rules, the Archmage Spell power ability changed for a bonus to caster level. Giving the bonus to DC was overpowered enough, but making it specificaly stack was ridiculous.

As Artemel said, 3.5 limited the bonuses to spell DC in many ways (spell focus used to give a +2 bonus!!), and with good reasons.

Edited by - Kilvan on 15 Sep 2010 12:07:01
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  05:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what his splat books are, as he lives in a different country.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  06:41:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
PS. Its just a write up for my own enjoyment, to see how powerful I can make the MOST powerful... using the rules!

If you use the Epic Level Handbook, there is no set limit on levels, so, using the rules, there is no possible MOST powerful wizard.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  18:27:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... Im using 3.0 rules! And I do not feel that +6 dc is too much. Not for the most powerful entity in the entire multivers ever!!!

But I had totally forgotten that she was chosen of the seldarin aswell as mystra. Has the Elven Chosen template ever been written? Or is it simply up to me to create something crazy???
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  01:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally up to you bro, nothing has been written on it that I know off.

Very likely insane longsword, longbow, and magical abilities.

I also imange an insane dex bonus on par with mystra's chosen con bonus.

Likely empathy on elves. (Like sensing anything that happens to other elves)

Can do elven high magic without the need of other casters.

Sky is the limit bro. Sky the limit.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  04:24:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not for the most powerful entity in the entire multivers ever!!!

You're writing up whoever Ao was answering to at the end of Waterdeep?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  19:49:31  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes... apparently!

No im simple just trying to, with the help of game mechanics, "create" Srinshee...

What bothers me though, is that it seems that game mechanics simple just does not do her justice!!!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  00:02:53  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering the gods are written up as 40th level plus their divine rank I think you're shooting too high for the Srinshee with 54th level. She isn't going to be able to take on a god 1 on 1 and shouldn't be 20 or more levels higher than Elminster, Khelben, or the Simbul. Why don't you take a look at the stats for Elminster, detailed in the intro to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or the Simbul, page 199 I believe of that same book, then add maybe 4-5 levels if you think it's necessary and modify the chosen of Mystra abilities to abilities that you want her to have.

Also, keep in mind that the DC for sorcerer spells cast by the Simbul are 18+spell level and the DC for Elminster is 21+ spell level or 23+ spell level for evocation and enchantment. Other powerful NPCs include Halaster Blackcloak: DC 20+spell level or 22+ for enchantment and transmutation, Szass Tam: DC 18+ spell level, 20+ for evocation and 28+ for necromancy, and Manshoon: DC 17+ spell level, 19+ for enchantment and conjuration. By my information your 36 base DC, assuming that is for 9th level spells, is better than every major wizard presented in the FRCS with the exception of Szass Tam using necromancy spells. Considering he is the most powerful necromancer in a society devoted to wizards, being able to almost beat him at his own game while being far above him in all other spells means you have done a pretty good job of making a wizard who has the hardest spells to resist in all of Faerûn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  00:35:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What bothers me though, is that it seems that game mechanics simple just does not do her justice!!!

Of course. She wasn't created with game mechanics in mind.

I've heard more than one person complain that novel characters or other NPCs don't fit the game rules... ignoring the fact that these characters were created for flavor or to fit story roles. The game was not a factor in their creation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  15:13:53  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Well, considering the gods are written up as 40th level plus their divine rank I think you're shooting too high for the Srinshee with 54th level. She isn't going to be able to take on a god 1 on 1 and shouldn't be 20 or more levels higher than Elminster, Khelben, or the Simbul. Why don't you take a look at the stats for Elminster, detailed in the intro to the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or the Simbul, page 199 I believe of that same book, then add maybe 4-5 levels if you think it's necessary and modify the chosen of Mystra abilities to abilities that you want her to have.

Also, keep in mind that the DC for sorcerer spells cast by the Simbul are 18+spell level and the DC for Elminster is 21+ spell level or 23+ spell level for evocation and enchantment. Other powerful NPCs include Halaster Blackcloak: DC 20+spell level or 22+ for enchantment and transmutation, Szass Tam: DC 18+ spell level, 20+ for evocation and 28+ for necromancy, and Manshoon: DC 17+ spell level, 19+ for enchantment and conjuration. By my information your 36 base DC, assuming that is for 9th level spells, is better than every major wizard presented in the FRCS with the exception of Szass Tam using necromancy spells. Considering he is the most powerful necromancer in a society devoted to wizards, being able to almost beat him at his own game while being far above him in all other spells means you have done a pretty good job of making a wizard who has the hardest spells to resist in all of Faerûn.

Well... somewhere Ed has said that Larloch is around lvl 46-47' ish, and he has also said or hintet that Srinshee is the MOST powerful or skillful spellcaster in fearun. I also got her lvl (54) somewhere on this forum. Whome or where I dont remember, but it was something about a write up Ed once did in a novel. I dont remember if i was like a prologue or prelude or something like The Silmarillion, where it contained "data" instead of fictional material. The facts were ofc about fictional characters and stuff, but I think you understand.

So based on the statement that Larloch is lvl 46-47'ish, and the Srinshee is even more powerful than that, somebody wrote the number 54. And since im only a novice concerning lore on this forum I believed that.

Hopefully the Sage can, as usual, shead some light on this! I know that THO can, but im pretty sure she wont!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  22:14:51  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine Larloch would be a special case, even if Ed somewhere said he was level 46-47(Do you have a link or reference for that?) and I have never heard of him saying the Srinshee was the most powerful spellcaster on Faerun, but assuming he did say that I would imagine it was in reference to when she was active in Myth Drannor or else maybe it was for the most powerful living spellcaster. I'm just not sure, if you find the two references I'd like to see them.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  22:53:24  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the thing about The Srinshee being so high lvl was from some book called Elves something.... not Tears so White" but... hmm... ill try to find it!http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4086

One would have to scroll a bit down and read the massage from the Sage.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 13 Feb 2011 23:02:58
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  02:23:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicolai, I'll take a stab at it and tell you what I can munchkin.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000