Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Meeting Tymora in Arabel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khelben
Acolyte

Denmark
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  12:13:30  Show Profile Send Khelben a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How would you portray Tymora? At the time of the Times of Troubles the deities are impov snobs and sees their subjects as servants. So in Arabel she would sit on her throne and watch her temple be rebulit with some portions of boredom. What do you think?

-Khelben

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  16:00:29  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Time of Troubles novels, she receives visits to afford money to her temple.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Khelben
Acolyte

Denmark
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  19:33:51  Show Profile Send Khelben a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

In the Time of Troubles novels, she receives visits to afford money to her temple.

If memory serves I believe that Cyric asks why an almighty Being wants gold - why not conjure it. Then he was shown the door..
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  11:22:46  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, more likely she would head for the World Serpent Inn, trying to get back to Brightwater.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:37:21  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a friend's campaign, they used a luck-point system (where if used before a die roll could completely avoid the results/grant auto-extraordinary success and used after could gain you a reroll). Visiting and bowing before Tymora during the Time of Troubles was 1 of the very limited ways to get them.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  19:03:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could simmly use Eberron's mechanic for action points (I think that's what its called) to duplicate that.

As for Tymora and the ToT... all the gods portrayed were big jerks, so just go with that. It may just be that being forced into a mortal vessel and stripped of most of your powers leaves you a wee bit grumpy, because most of them aren't normally that asinine, so make of it what you will.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  19:11:27  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda on topic: Tymora's time in Arabel is something I've wanted to read about. Sourcebooks make mention of her time there walking in the Realms, but were there every any novel-based accounts of Tymora in Arabel during the Time of Troubles?

Disclaimer: I’ve made a character (Human Cleric of Tymora from Cormyr) for the Realms game I just joined. Any response to the above question will be most appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  20:08:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember from novels, this is from Polyhedron #71 by Ed ...

... her present avatar is a slim, almost boyish maiden with silver hair and eyes like blue-black stars. Her features are breathtakingly beautiful, and her movements are always dexterous and graceful. Tymora can change between silver bird and human form at will, takes one round. Like her followers, Tymora delights in the joy of doubt and danger (also known as ''the Lady's Joy'' or ''the Lady's Way''). She always tales the reckless course. ''Defy'' is the watchword of her followers; ''Dare much'' is a devout worshipper's answer. The goddess acts just as those words suggest. ''To dare is to live!'' say the priests of Tymora, and even in the Time of Troubles, Tymora cannot act cautiously in her headlong hunt for the missing Tablets and a return to Ao's favor. It is her nature to court danger, she always makes every saving throw, and serves or obeys no one. Tymora is jaunty and high-spirited, but not rude and haughty. In battle she sings, whoops, or emits beast-calls with gusto.

So certainly not sitting in a temple.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  23:07:00  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Quale that's awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  06:17:36  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, didn't she use her powers to protect Arabel from the chaotic magical effects that ran rampant during that time? So, she might be a bit...distracted, if players should encounter her. From the sheer intensity of focus and concentration necessary to do such a thing, maybe.

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000