Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What Realms novels do you read again and again?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  20:59:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was curious about other scribes Realms reading habits. I was looking at my "to read" stack and noticed Elaine's Song and Sword(along with a note to read her short stories as well) novels coming up very soon(for their third read by me)...

What Realms novels do you eo=ither find yourself reading again or wish you had time to???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Hooch9
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  21:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Hooch9's Homepage Send Hooch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still need to read my books once through.

Homeland of the Dark Elf Trilogy wasn't bad. I wouldn't hate to read that book again.

But, since I have so many others I need to finish, I'll focus on that.

Sheriff: Oh one other thing Earlie. Your boy needs to be in school.
Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo...

"Don't you start with me. I have hobbies. I collect autographs. I don't Judge you for all those books you read!"

-Both of those quotes are from Squidbillies.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  23:46:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, if it's by Elaine Cunningham or Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, then it's worth a reread. I also like to reread Ring of Winter.

Those are the Realms novels I've reread the most.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  00:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I re-read Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy fairly often, and as a guilty pleasure, I re-read his Stormlight.
Then it's Elfshadow by Elaine and (now, just joining the list) Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie.
Also "on the bubble" to join the list is City of Splendors by Ed and Elaine.
BA
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  00:41:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackstaff, El in Myth Drannor, El in Hell
Go to Top of Page

Hooch9
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  01:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Hooch9's Homepage Send Hooch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ring of Winter.

Ring of Winter you say? I'll be getting that book soon. From what little I've heard, the story sounds awesome.

Sheriff: Oh one other thing Earlie. Your boy needs to be in school.
Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo...

"Don't you start with me. I have hobbies. I collect autographs. I don't Judge you for all those books you read!"

-Both of those quotes are from Squidbillies.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  02:16:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine's novels, Ed's novels, Sage Schend's great works, Erik Scott de Bie's, Bruce Cordell's works, and Lisa Smedman's "House of Serpents" because I'm a scaly folk/yuan-ti fan. Also, Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage. And, every so often, I'll re-read the "Empires" trilogy -- for reasons of nostalgia mostly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  03:30:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read all of them multiple times over the years. Some more than others. I waaaas caught up on my novels until about a year ago. by the way - hey, I have been away from the boards for a while. What's up??

Edited by - scererar on 26 Aug 2010 03:31:01
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  08:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine's (Song and Sword, the Liriel trilogy, Evermeet), Homeland, WotSQ, Blackstaff, Empyrean Odyssey last book (the one with Pharaun in it)...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  10:33:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have more and more problems with finding the time to actually reread books, as there are only so many books one has time to read in life and there's to many still unread .

The ones I have read the most times (and am probable to read again) are Night Parade, Soldiers of Ice, Spellfire, Crown of Fire, the Moonshae books, Crypt of the Shadowking, Curse of the Shadowmage, Azure Bonds, Elaines first two Harper novels and the first book of the Giants trilogy.

In addition most of Eds novels and Blackstaff[/i] are likely to be reread if I ever find the time.

Edited by - Jorkens on 26 Aug 2010 10:34:42
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  10:36:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine's stuff, the Novak-Grubbs, some of Ed's works, and most recently, Rosemary Jones's books.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although there are still many novels that I haven't read: these are the stories

1) that I already re-read:
a) everything with Erevis Cale
b) The Black Bouquet
c) City of Ravens

2) planing to re-read:
a) WotSQ
b) again everything from 1)

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  18:04:37  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Life's to short to reread IMO. So much to read, so little time, how very sad.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  18:48:07  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kemp's Cale books, the Elminster series, the Cormyr series, Steven Schend's awesome Blackstaff books, Homeland, Exile and Sojourn, Elaine's books (especially Evermeet).
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  19:41:18  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have re-read Siege of Darkness 5 or 6 times. Lately I've been less interested in Drizzt, but SoD was a favourite for me.

I've re-read The Last Mythal trilogy once, Evermeet: IoE I've read 3 or 4 times, and the Avatar Trilogy once (I'm one of the few who liked the Time of Troubles).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  21:04:39  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once I'm completely caught up and have read all of the novels, then I will start to re-read.

Books I have re-read in the past

Murder in Cormyr
Dark Elf Trilogy
Icewinddale Trilogy
Canticle
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  06:53:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Richard's The Haunted Lands trilogy and The Captive Flame (and I'm pretty sure same with books 2 and 3 of The Brotherhood of the Griffon when they're released), Paul's The Twilight War trilogy, Troy's The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, and Clayton's The Netheril trilogy.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  10:57:57  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i never reread a book as theres so many unread books to read.but i do dip in and out of my favourite realms novels to read certain scenes.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  11:44:17  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last Mythal Trilogy!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  11:56:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

Last Mythal Trilogy!

I have read it three times so far.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  19:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've reread Spellfire and the Grubb-Novak books. I want to reread some of Rich Baker's books, the Cormyr series, and perhaps the first Drizzt books and the Rogue Dragons series.

Great thread btw. Need to get the Blackstaff books. Rosemary Jones? Need to check out her books...

Edited by - Snotlord on 29 Aug 2010 19:39:34
Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  19:40:58  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Richard's The Haunted Lands trilogy and The Captive Flame (and I'm pretty sure same with books 2 and 3 of The Brotherhood of the Griffon when they're released), Paul's The Twilight War trilogy, Troy's The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, and Clayton's The Netheril trilogy.

I was about to say, while I actually didn't find Return of the Archwizards to be very good (I think long scenes of magical combat tend to bore me), my absolute favorites are:

Waterdeep by Troy Denning
Crucible: the Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning
with an honorable mention to James Lowder for Prince of Lies

I had been slogging through the otherwise boring Avatar trilogy to get a better sense of the characters Kelemvor and Cyric, when Waterdeep suddenly turned up the quality tenfold. Crucible absolutely floored me. The character of Malik is very reminiscent of a haplessly-evil ibn Fadlan. It's impossible not to love the truth-telling Seraph of Lies.
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, El in Hell, and Stormlight. Not so often: City of Splendors by Ed and Elaine, and Elfshadow by Elaine. Just promoted onto the re-read list: City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, and Elminster Must Die! by Ed.
Consistently, the novels with most depth, layered meanings, and the ability to please me with elements I hadn't noticed - - or appreciated in a previous reading - - are Ed Greenwood's. Whereas an RAS or Denning book, to pick two examples, are far more straight-ahead, in-your-face action narrative. Less depth, more fast action narrative. Which for me means less enticement to reread. However, YMMV, of course.
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  13:52:57  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My re-reads are generally older Realms novels -

The Crystal Shard
Novak and Grubb - all the Alias / Finder stories
Pools of Radiance

Most of the time I'd rather by reading something new, but when I'm stressed reading an old favourite is very relaxing - no need to think, just the comfortingly familiar.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  14:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning on running down copies of Elaine's various elf books and reading them for lore purposes. Plus I really enjoyed the Starlight and Shadows series.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:26:27  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read most books over and over. If I don't read a series all at once, I have to re-read them each time a new book comes out. Recently, I've read the Last Mythal, Rogue Dragons, the Lireal Banre series, Twilight War, Haunted Lands, Lady Penitent, The Wizards, War of the Spider Queen, Evermeet, and the latest Drizzt books several times.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  19:53:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I was about to say, while I actually didn't find Return of the Archwizards to be very good (I think long scenes of magical combat tend to bore me), my absolute favorites are:

Waterdeep by Troy Denning
Crucible: the Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning
with an honorable mention to James Lowder for Prince of Lies

I had been slogging through the otherwise boring Avatar trilogy to get a better sense of the characters Kelemvor and Cyric, when Waterdeep suddenly turned up the quality tenfold. Crucible absolutely floored me. The character of Malik is very reminiscent of a haplessly-evil ibn Fadlan. It's impossible not to love the truth-telling Seraph of Lies.

It's the return of the denizens of Netheril, the Empire of Magic, so expect a lot of magical battles of grand proportion. You cannot expect the shades to fight the magically potent phaerimm by throwing kitchen knives at them.

Waterdeep plain bored me. I didn't finish it; I stopped at page 60. And don't intend to resume reading it.

Crucible is nice, but haven't reread it. Cyric is too crazy to like or even try not to dislike. There are demented villains out there, but no one, thank Ed or WotC, is as ridiculously mad as Cyric. I'd be happy if Shar eats him for dinner.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  10:56:36  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've considered to reread Evermeet, life's too short.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  11:11:25  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet and anything about elves and the fey'ri...
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  18:57:38  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I re-read almost every book I read, but there are a few series I've read many, many times. The Erevis Cale trilogy has been read 3 or 4 times I believe, I've lost count of my re-reads of the War of the Spider Queen series, though not all have been full re-reads, some have just included a few of the books. The Icewind Dale trilogy, my gateway drug into the Realms novels and D&D in general after playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 when they came out, has been heavily worn from re-reads, as are a few of my Elminster books. Elminster in Hell I especially remember enjoying multiple times, I loved reading all the different memories he had accumulated over the many years. The Cleric Quintet and the Servant of the Shard are two of my favorite works from RAS and I've read them both repeatedly along with the Homeland trilogy which I really enjoyed. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple but these are the ones that stick out in my memory.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  02:02:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Life is too short, and there are a lot to read, so I never reread a novel more than twice, except Unholy, Shadowrealm, and The Siege (and some non-FR, too) which I read thrice.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000