Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did King Obould switch alignments upon ascension?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  22:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to Gruumsh making Obould an orc god. More than anything, Gruumsh wants the orcs to be strong. Does he want them to raid, conquer, and kill? Yes. But he wants them to be strong enough to do it. After a while he probably realized that orcs living in caves wasn't accomplishing that.

Beyond that; consider that Obould more or less has the same position in the orc panteon that Ilneval held in the past. Ilneval's one of the mia deities in 4e, and before that was said to be treacherous and plotting against Gruumsh. Gruumsh is a lot of things, but he isn't an idiot; putting in a loyal, capable replacement wouldn't be out of the question for him.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  01:46:03  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Lawful? I don't know. Sure, he had a a thousand time more honor than a regular orc, but I'm not sure that makes him lawful. His rule is still triggered by the fact that he is the strongest, and he will stay the leader until he falls (no matter how or by whom). Seems chaotic to me.

... that is not the essence of Chaotic Alignment. trust me on that.

Lawful folks understand that yu can't d anything without enforcing it as well. Chaos represents an actual Freedom of Spirit, and the idea that one can do whatever he wants as long as he can get away with it.

now, Obould could still be Chaotic, yes. but also he could very easily be Lawful. he shows clear tendencies of both Alignments. I honestly think he's more of a Neutral Evil, but in a very lightly Evil kind of way. or, in contrast, I think he could be a Chaotic Neutral, with a strong bent towards True Neutral.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly