Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How did Cale become Cale(Erevis Cale origin story)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  14:36:24  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For anyone interested, I've made "Another Name for Dawn," Erevis Cale's origin story, which was originally originally published in Dragon 277 lo these many years ago, available as a pdf download.

Link is here: Another Name for Dawn.

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  14:43:28  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great Paul! I was only recently able to read it and I think it is a masterpiece and you are are true benchmark when it comes to FR short stories!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  14:46:51  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, "originally originally" is more original than mere "originally." Just sayin'.
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  15:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing! Thanks Paul.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  16:35:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul!!

This is truly, truly wonderful

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  19:59:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  22:05:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you saying I sat down and copied that entire text unnecessarily Paul? If it wasn't so nice of you I'd spend at least two seconds feeling peeved.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  22:06:32  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  08:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! I've been looking for this to complete my Cale collection.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  15:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing this Paul! I am a big fan of Cale's story. It was refreshingly darker than most FR tales I have read... a change I think I needed as I was burning out on uber-good guys gallore.

BTW, Drasek Riven rules!

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2010 :  17:42:10  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much appreciated Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  09:57:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Paul. Esp. since I am re-reading the Erevis-series atm.

Much appreciated,

Ergdusch

Edit:

If I might be so audacious: for anyone interested, Paul wrote another story of Cale, which is available as pdf-download (this one from O-Love's library): And All the Sinners, Saint.

Enjoy!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Aug 2010 10:02:33
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  14:40:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Thank you, Paul. Esp. since I am re-reading the Erevis-series atm.

Much appreciated,

Ergdusch

Edit:

If I might be so audacious: for anyone interested, Paul wrote another story of Cale, which is available as pdf-download (this one from O-Love's library): And All the Sinners, Saint.

Enjoy!

And it is very good as well!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  20:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

I enjoyed this short story quite a bit. Thank you!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  23:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iv honestly never really had an intrest in reading the Cale series, I'm pretty stemthat story changed my mind, great short story thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  13:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll pop in to say I saw this topic at WotC forums and downloaded the story. Will read it and tell you my opinion.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thente Thunderspells
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  05:56:26  Show Profile Send Thente Thunderspells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great short story Paul! I've wondered about Cale's origin before.

Just read some interesting tidbits in my re-read of Shadow's Witness about things that Cale knew about the Faceless One that no one else did. Is that ever expanded upon or explored elsewhere?

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  10:06:58  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Paul! I really like your style of writing!

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  13:25:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. Much appreciated.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Enwy
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  16:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Enwy's Homepage Send Enwy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul! I'm now aching to get home and read this. >_< Cale is a character I "fell in love with" almost immediately, so I'm excited to see how he came to be. Plowing my way through the books themselves now, and my word, I have to thank you for writing those too. <3

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  05:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Erevis Cale -trilogy (it's 7.30 am, I read whole night D: ), so this thing right here is like a gift from God. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  10:45:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I might like Cale after all.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000