Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions concerning Gauntlgrym
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bjorg
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  07:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Bjorg's Homepage Send Bjorg a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks, I am hoping you can help me out. I am trying to put together a part 2 to a campaign my group took a break from and am experiencing some troble due to lack of info.

The last few days I have been trying to find info, through my own collection of books, and wiki's online concerning Gauntlgrym, but has noticed I would do better finding a well ajusted kender. I have come to terms for my own home game I am going to have to draw up my own maps concerning this place. What I need suggestions on is:

how many levels should I draw up?
What kind of monsters should dwell within?
About where should I put Gauntlgrym? (spine of the world, close to mirabar, etc.)

All suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. The average level of the party is 12 and played in the D&D 3.5 format.

Thank you and have a great day.

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  07:57:26  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK - Location first. According to the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, Gauntlgrym is located in the Crags. If you draw a vertical line straight south (or maybe a couple of degrees off to the west) from Mirabar, and a horizontal line from the confluence of the River Mirar and the Black Raven river, Gauntlgrym is at the point of intersection. In a straight line, it's 48 miles south of Mirabar.

I've had a couple of goes at an adventure in Mirabar myself, and I had the following ideas. Canon information states that the place used to be a city, built by dwarves for me,(who then brought lycanthropy with them). At its height, it housed 30,000 dwarves and humans. Nowadays, it's inhabited by illithids and wererats, but even the illithids control only part of the city. The city connects to the Underdark.

I've always seen illithids as an opportunity to bring in just about any monster (why do these critters coexist happily? Because their illithid masters tell them to). Any underdark monster will do.

30,000 inhabitants is a lot of people, who need a lot of space, so there's likely to be multiple levels. I always saw it as a hodgepodge of connected dungeons I got from other sources (I think that at one point, I was incorporating Castle Greyhawk in there somewhere. Basic layout was that some of the levels were controlled by various power groups (mostly underdark - drow, duergar, aboleths, illithids) with a lot of neutral ground in between where they fought each other while trying to plunder the treasures of Gauntlgrym. I never planned on fully detailing the place. I got as far as putting some of the "dungeons" in relation to each other, and figured that I'd have to wing the connecting sections as the player characters progressed. I'd recommend something similar - have a general, helicopter-view idea of the layout and details sections as sessions progress.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  15:45:43  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can, find a copy of Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn box set. It contained multiple maps that you could use for your campaign.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bjorg
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  20:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Bjorg's Homepage Send Bjorg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, you really helped me out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000