Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Slave values
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  16:23:39  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everybody,

just curious about what prices the average humanoid slaves could bring in with selling. Human, Orc, Elf, Dwarf, Goblinoid, Gnoll etc.
Anyone have a list or some reference to this topic?

Actually slaving seems to be a very profitable business within the more evil realms, and I would like to bring some light into this dark business.

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  16:55:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if there's ever been mentioned a price in any FR-book, but Paizo's Adventurer's Armory has some.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  23:45:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a Forgotten Realms book per se, but there's a list of slave prices, by skillset (not by race) on p. 91 of the 2E Arabian Adventures book.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  04:20:50  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... What DOES a good brothel slave go for in Calimport these days?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  11:42:36  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think the issue is quite interesting.

You always hear how profitable the slavery is, and obviously it made some people / organizations / countries very rich, but there is never any more detailed information about it - as far as I know.

I am really curious if the vast knowledge in this forum can bring some light.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  12:26:18  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lords of Madness stats the following:

Basic formula: (CR X cr) X 100 gp. ( if cr lower than 1, round up )

So, minimum price of a slave is 100 gp.

If the slave has exceptional abilities, price may be multiplied (typically by between 1 and 4).

So, according to thil formula, a kobold slave wouldbe 11 gp; so, an expert lvl 3 human smith would cost 800gp ( multiplied by 2 for skills )to buy, and a com1 wouldbe at 25 gp.

Eventually these pricings are too low, but this could be used as a guideline.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  12:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Lords of Madness stats the following:

Basic formula: (CR X cr) X 100 gp. ( if cr lower than 1, round up )

So, minimum price of a slave is 100 gp.

If the slave has exceptional abilities, price may be multiplied (typically by between 1 and 4).

So, according to thil formula, a kobold slave wouldbe 11 gp; so, an expert lvl 3 human smith would cost 800gp ( multiplied by 2 for skills )to buy, and a com1 wouldbe at 25 gp.

Eventually these pricings are too low, but this could be used as a guideline.

Thank you so much. I don't agree that the prices are too low - keep in mind they were designed with cultures where slavery is commonplace (like Mulhorand or Thay).

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  19:30:34  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is a workable basement here, since it would make understandable how for an economy like thay can achieve the amounts of slaves they have.

If the average slave would cost too much, it wouldbe easier to have workers do the job, and the basic reason for slavery - profit, wouldbe gone.

I think it is much more important, that you have the ressources to feed and to prevent the slaves from running away / rioting.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  23:37:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem on pricing slaves has many issues.

1)Type of slavery, is it for life or is it for 6 years.

2) What rights are granted to slaves, if any (Greek slaves of the Romans were allowed to own and keep money, if lucky enough could buy freedom (or even Roman citizenship). There are other types of slavery that a slave did not own the clothes it wore and had not rights at all.

3) The expected value to be received based of production and cost of ensuring production.
a) Age matters
b) Skills matter
c) Cost of enforcement matters.

4) The period of time matters, prices change based on demands and costs associated with owning one.

Therefore, there can never be a set answer to this question that applies to all times and regions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  10:30:30  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again everybody,

a few days off due to the birth of my second son Kianu.. All happy and healthy, and quite relaxed.

Thanks so far for the feedback on my question, was alot of help.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2010 :  18:17:13  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used this material for my campaign.

http://www.kismetrose.com/dnd/MySlaveCosts.html

It just occurred to me while posting this that my PCs abuse their slaves a bit to much, to the point that they discard them. Perhaps I should greatly increase their prices.

Though looking at the sheet again, I'm thinking I didn't calculate the prices correctly. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 09 Aug 2010 18:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  13:25:33  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have today found a table in the "Kingdoms of Kalamar" Players Guide

a good table for slave values.

taking every possible variable into the pricing.

age, race, profession, class.......
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  21:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going by usual rules for ROI, a slave ought to be worth approximately what a person with his skills would earn as salary over five years, minus what it costs to keep him for that time. Mind you, in 'salary', you count all income, whether in kind or money, so a farmer who might never see a coin still has a fairly decent income in foodstuffs and suchlike.

An unskilled labourer, unless there was some unusual demand for his kind, would therefore cost somewhere around 70-100 gp. Sought-after skills would quickly raise the price.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  04:17:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Melvaunt and Zhentil Keep traffic in slaves...so I'm seriously in need of how their economy benefits from this. I have often wondered just how much they sell them for...and also where they get most of them!

The Moonsea isn't exactly teeming with an overabundance of suitable slave stock. I could understand that prisoners might be sold as slaves...but most societies will ransom soldiers (even evil societies would want their valuable members to be available for ransom).

What do you guys think about the slave trade of the Moonsea?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  12:09:40  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see humanoids ending up as slaves from the Thar or barbarians from the Ride along with criminals, elves of Cormanthor, dalesfolk, bedine from the anauroch, maybe some vaasan unlucky ones or people from other city states even including enemy combatants (i don´t see them willingly return enemy soldiers so they can fight against them again)for geographical matters. Aside that, i would assume that they can traffic slaves from any other region in rarer cases from Chult and the Shaar to the old empires and Zhakara (if extremely lucky for a slave trader maybe even Maztica) and from the Sword Coast to the Shou. It all depends on how well connected the slave trade is and how strong the supplies can keep their wares together from outside influences on their way to the Moonsea for business.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  14:28:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to the humanoids from the Thar, I'd throw in that there are multiple small islands throughout the inner sea. The pirates of the inner sea may periodically raid small settlements (or trade with such settlements) for humanoids to use as slaves. Of course, a lot of these would be sold in Thay. I'd also imagine that the hobgoblins near Impiltur may be periodically raided for slaves by folk of Calaunt.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  18:45:32  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For example in thar there are caravans to glister and the mining camps regularly raided by orcs and ogres. This alone produces a flow of slaves.
For hmanoid ones i would say that the tribes catch them in their clashes etc. And if someone is fast enoughhe can buy some of hem before they end up in stewpots.
I thnk this pretty much the same for all tribal regions. Alao helps them preventing incest ;)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  18:59:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, as I read through this.... is it any wonder that orcs, goblinoids, ogres, kobolds, tasloi, etc... don't like humans

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  19:23:18  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. I do not think so. Most of the races have been there much longer than the "civilized" races. But they just lack the unity of the humans.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  19:24:07  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For example in thar there are caravans to glister and the mining camps regularly raided by orcs and ogres. This alone produces a flow of slaves.
For hmanoid ones i would say that the tribes catch them in their clashes etc. And if someone is fast enoughhe can buy some of hem before they end up in stewpots.
I thnk this pretty much the same for all tribal regions. Alao helps them preventing incest ;)
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  10:51:08  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakuta Khan already found the table within "Kingdoms of Kalamar". Another will be found within the Mongoose Drow Publications.

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  13:56:00  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thnk Dalor ment much kore to get to know whi the movers and shakers in the slave trade in the moonsea area sre and the flow of traded slaves.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  14:12:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Primarily I am indeed looking for the flow and how that has an effect on the area both in population figures and overall economy.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  14:28:05  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@dalor: wow, good morning ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  17:29:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am up every weekday at five in the morning...tis the season of overtime! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  18:02:06  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i do the same, almost. But for me it is a mixture between job and my kids ;)

Back on topic:
I think there is a steady flow from zhentil keep into the underdark to the drow and also a flow from the drow if the deep caves to zhentil keep for subterranian races. I think it was even mentioned in some books. Drow trade goblinoid, orc, sswirfneblin, duergar etc races to the zhent slavers and the ship rhem to thay and other places.

In return the drow receive surface race slaves feom the zhentarim slavers.

I can also imagine mulmaster and eventually even sembian traders being engaged in slave teade, shipping them as far south as calimshan and orher realms where slavery is allowed.

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 25 Oct 2013 18:20:26
Go to Top of Page

Kusghuul
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  15:30:11  Show Profile Send Kusghuul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reworking the monetary system for another project, and in ancient times slaves would sell for about 50-2150 grams of silver (there's from 3-5 grams of precious metal per coin, but potentially zero if fiat), with scribes being the most valued slaves. Granted, this doesn't translate well to the Forgotten Realms as precious metals aren't worth much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000