Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Underdark food
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  21:32:45  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I plan on having my party stranded in the Underdark for months after having neogi enslave them, they will eventually be freed after a drow attack on the neogi nearly a year after they are enslaved & mentally dominated. The drow of course won't be freeing them but with the mental bounds broken, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to run. Of course one of the neogi will have tried to escape the same way they did & well, I'm pretty sure that will be pay back time.

The question is what sorts of food are avalible in the underdark (upperdark). I've came up with a few: blind cave fish, blind albindo crayfish, beetles, centipedes, fungus, mushrooms, mold, rats, lizards, rothe, snakes, & spiders. Anything else anyone can come up with could be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  23:05:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could make them choose between starvation and eating a goblin or even a svirfneblin!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  23:11:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cave Rothe.

Normally domesticated by Drow and others, but I suppose a few may have escaped, especially with all the turmoil in the Underdark. I'm thinking 'recently freed', only because such docile creatures wouldn't last long in that predator-filled environment. They may have even been accidentally set-free during the Drow raid on the Neogi.

I hear Quogoth tastes a bit like bear...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  04:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a good reference source or guide for this sort of thing would be the Dungoneers Survival Guide [1stEd].

I also found this titbit of information on another website.

Although its not strictly canon, it does add [ahem ] flavour to you campiagn.

The first is a dish closely resembling Haggis. It consists of Rothe stomach, soaked in salt water for a minimum of 12 hours and then stuffed with a mixture of rothe liver & heart meat, suet and diced mushrooms. It is then baked and served in the form of thick slices. The drow serve this dish either highly spiced or with a tangy sauce.
Rothe meat would also be used to make sausages & jerky (for travel rations). Rothe blood would be collected as a base for sauces, or to make puddings Rothe hooves could be boiled down to create gelatine In addition to the food value, the drow would likely have slaves collect rothe dung to fuel cooking fires.

General staples of the drow diet include:

mushroom/fungus flour: used to make pastry and noodles
mushroom-based tofu: a meat-substitute that is a staple of "middle-class" drow.
lizard eggs
rats: usually eaten only by the lower class, this is beneath the dignity of the wealthy and noble houses.
snails
lichen
fish: grown in ponds in or near the drow cities, or netted from underground rivers.
mollusks
insects: particularly cave crickets. Usually served fried with a spicy mushroom sauce, or carmelized as a desert (along the lines of honey roast peanuts)
Subterranean Puffer fish: a dangerous delicacy enjoyed by the drow. If prepared incorrectly it can prove fatal (this is simply a variation of the Japanese dish)

found here:
http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/HTML/Divers/drowfood.htm

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 19 Jun 2010 04:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  04:32:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that first part - it is copied directly out of some tome - one I was in recently, too.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  05:18:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moss, this though only found in illuminated pockets nearer the surface.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  12:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See my reply in the Stupid question time... scroll.

Additionally your party should be on the lookout for "cave moss" (an inedible moss found only in faerzress-rich regions) as this is a favourite grazing food of some giant vermin, as well as rothé. They could thus hunt and eat said vermin or rothé. Also watch for "zurkhwood" (a giant mushroom with large edible spores and hard and woody stalks used for timber) for food and material to make impromptu weapons with.

All of the above is out of Underdark by Bruce R. Cordell, Gwendolyn F. M. Kestrel, Jeff Quick.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  13:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've got access to some of the older Realms short story books, there's an entire story about this in Realms of the Underdark. The short version is Volo cons a couple of stupid drow exiles into leading him to Menzoberranzan, and his impromptu traveling companion is a down-on-his-luck chef. There's a number of cooking scenes throughout the trip.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  23:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And dont forget the monsters they encounter. Personally, a little butter in the Corpse of that Cave Fisher and YUM! and somehow I'd be willing to bet a Hook Horror takes like chicken.
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  03:23:47  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some good details, thanks for taking the times guys

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  15:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And - no eating ilithids and other aberrations! It is bad for your stomach and worse.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  16:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

And - no eating ilithids and other aberrations! It is bad for your stomach and worse.

But they taste like calamari!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  16:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

But they taste like calamari!

Then you will become next calamari. Seriously, I do not think their flesh is edible, and even if it is, it is too big cost for fancy food.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000