Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 General Monster Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  20:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Didn't know where to put this, as it only deals with Forgotten realms in the sense they have monsters.

How do you determine what a monster's skills are when making a monster? I know that say, Outsider or Dragon has 8 + Int Skill points to pass out per HD, but what their race skills if they don't have any classes? For all creature types?

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  23:37:18  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if this is a 3/3.5 question, the class skills of the monster are the skills listed in the monster entery. So, any skills it has listed for example a Minotaur has intimidate, listen, search & spot listed in it's monster stat block on page 188 of MMI 3.5, so these are the only class skills it has. Now, if you add a level of fighter to him, you have 6 hd of those monster levels & 1 of fighters skills. I hope that helped.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  01:10:49  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
woodwwad is precisely right for 3.0 or 3.5. To amplify a little bit, if you're making a new kind of creature, you get to choose the class skills when you make the "default monster" like would appear in a Monster Manual.

I can also mention the Pathfinder rules, which are very close to 3.X but actually differ in this respect. There, all monsters of a given type have the same class skills, which are listed under the description of the monster type.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000