Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Locathah, Sahuagin, Bullywug
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  16:27:48  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Locathah, Sahuagin, and Bullywugs.

Have these guys ever been statted out as PC races?

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  16:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Bullywugs got PC stats in Monsters of Faerun, dunno about the others. Perhapse in Savage Species?

That's for 3e, dunno about 1/2e, and 4e only has the Bullywug in the character builder.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  16:41:06  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't speak for 3E or beyond, but for 2E, I know of;
- Locathah in the boxed set Sea of Fallen Stars and in Dragon #250;
- (Advanced) bullywugs in PHBR10-Complete Book of Humanoids;
- Sahuagin - Malenti are covered both in Sea of Fallen Stars and Dragon #250; if the sahuagin were covered in 1E and/or 2E, it was probably in the 2E Monstrous Arcana book The Sea Devils. I don't have it with me, so I can't verify.

Hope this helps (a little bit).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  17:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sahuagin were never statted out for PC's, though malenti were (in the book Sea of Fallen Stars, as has been mentioned). The Monstrous Arcana book Sea Devils is entirely about sahuagin, but like the books about mind flayers and beholders was not in any way meant to make them PCs. It was meant to make them even scarier villains.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  05:37:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Monstrous Arcana series was awesome... I just wish they'd given the aboleth the same treatment...

Thanks for the sources, Thauramarth and Hoondatha!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 May 2010 05:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Azyx Drow Wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  11:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Azyx Drow Wizard's Homepage Send Azyx Drow Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jakk:
There is a great description of Aboleths in the D&D 3.5 edition book - "Lords of Madness - The Book of Abberations".

It features the description of the way they live, fight, enslave and everything else that an average Aboleth might ask out of life!

Go to Top of Page

Katans
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  12:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Katans's Homepage Send Katans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Locatah and Sahuagin are described in the 3.X Monster Manual. They're not explicitly listed as a PC race, but they do have a level adjustment, meaning they can be adapted to PC races fairly easily, using the usual 3.X method.
As far as I know, Bullywug did not survive 2nd edition.

Edited by - Katans on 25 May 2010 12:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  13:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katans

The Locatah and Sahuagin are described in the 3.X Monster Manual. They're not explicitly listed as a PC race, but they do have a level adjustment, meaning they can be adapted to PC races fairly easily, using the usual 3.X method.

Bullywug are described in 3e Monsters of Faerūn.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  13:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good place to look for 2e info on aboleths is the mega-adventure Night Below, where the aboleths are the villains ultimately behind everything. The climax of the adventure surrounds an aboleth city, and there's a bunch of discussion about aboleth society and how things work, since the place bears such importance. It's not Realms, but then again, neither were the Monstrous Arcana.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  13:57:29  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

quote:
Originally posted by Katans

Bullywug are described in 3e Monsters of Faerūn.

Specifically, for Sahuagin and Locathath, subtract 10 or 11 from each ability score to get the ability score modifiers. Then the PC also gets all the special abilities and special qualities listed for the monster. Both of these species start with 2 racial HD before adding any for class levels.

Bullywugs are somewhat different. Tyranthraxus is right that they are in the 3.0 Monsters of Faerun, though that book isn't quite specific enough about details to be 100% sure of getting a PC right, specifically if the 1HD it has is racial or due to a Warrior class level. The web enhancement (it's the enhancement for Players' Guide to Faerun, I think) updating Monsters of Faerun is a little more clear, since it uses the non-elite array for the ability scores. That means it's pretty clear that the bullywug given in the book is a 1st level warrior. So just figure out the racial ability (and skill) adjustments from the web enhancement, which even tells you what the scores are before racial adjustments, add the couple of special abilities, and make a PC as usual with no extra HD.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  19:33:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Katans, Tyranthraxus, and freyar for the additional info on locathah, sahuagin, and bullywugs; I should have posted my aboleth digression in a separate scroll, but thanks to Azyx and Hoondatha for that as well (consider the aboleth digression closed, please).

Thanks again; I was quite impressed by the amount of activity in CK in the past 12 hours, particularly in scrolls I'm keeping track of. Hopefully after this late shift I'm working today, I'll have a chance to put some of this stuff together.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  00:08:36  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sahuagin are fully detailed in Mongoose's Slayer's Guide to Sahuagin, it is 3.0, but should give you all the fluff you need.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  01:03:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

The Monstrous Arcana series was awesome... I just wish they'd given the aboleth the same treatment...
Aye.

Also, I've referenced most of the more important Aboleth mentions in the Realmslore. Just search for any scrolls with "Aboleth" and you're sure to find my ramblings somewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  07:15:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to make sure this subject hasn't been forgotten... Rob, if you read this, I'm taking care of the PC stattings for all three races, and I'll send you what I come up with as soon as it's done. I'm probably going to have to pack up this computer soon... *sigh*

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  05:03:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bringing this scroll up to date... two weeks after moving, and I'm finally finding a bit of time to work on Osse again.

Rob: Did you get my race stats? I think I remembered to send them to you before my move...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000