Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Divine Non Interference
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:39:10  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone have an idea what the rules are as dictated by OA regarding Divine Non interference? Basically the way I understood it was that a divine being could not take direct action against a mortal. I believe everything has to be done via proxy. But do outsiders qualify as mortal?

For example lets take Asmodeous who is now supposedly a Lesser God after the whole Azuth thingy.

So say before this happened I'm sure Asmodeous had some rivals that he wouldn't have minded disposing of. I m talking about other Arch Devils or other powerful evil and/or Good beings, that don't technically qualify as "gods" but for all known purposes are immortal. Can be move against them directly? Can he send down an avatar or must he use his underlings?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does OA stand for? The only thing I can think of is Oriental Adventures, which doesn't really fit with what your asking.

Without knowing the background, I'd say it depends. Just like "what level is an archmage," it depends entirely on what you can get away with. Realistically, the situation has to be akin to a divine version of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction), where if Deity A tries to scrag a favored worshipper of Deity B, Deity B will step in and stop them. But it really depends on how powerful Deity A and B are, and how well connected they are with other gods.

For instance, Labelas is only an intermediate power, and a power of knowledge at that. But he's got the backing of the entire Seldarine, and especially Corellon, so if push came to shove even someone like Bane would be hesitant to directly mess with him. On the other hand you have loners like Ilbrandul, who didn't really have any allies and therefore had rather limited ability to protect his followers, and, eventually, himself.

In Finder's Bane, the god Finder pretty much confirms this, by saying to his priest they've got to be careful because, "[Zhent whose name I've forgotten]'s god [Xvim] can beat up your god." Finder was new, not very powerful, and his alliances weren't very strong, so he couldn't do a whole lot to protect his followers if another god decided to take direct action.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

What does OA stand for? The only thing I can think of is Oriental Adventures, which doesn't really fit with what your asking.

I think he meant Ao.

Where I work, OA stands for Office Automation. This also does not seem to fit in this sense.

quote:

In Finder's Bane, the god Finder pretty much confirms this, by saying to his priest they've got to be careful because, "[Zhent whose name I've forgotten]'s god [Xvim] can beat up your god." Finder was new, not very powerful, and his alliances weren't very strong, so he couldn't do a whole lot to protect his followers if another god decided to take direct action.

As I recall, he was speaking of Walinda.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:05:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Anyone have an idea what the rules are as dictated by OA regarding Divine Non interference? Basically the way I understood it was that a divine being could not take direct action against a mortal. I believe everything has to be done via proxy. But do outsiders qualify as mortal?
This was touched on just a little in the introduction to Faiths & Avatars as I recall.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nope. Bear. I couldn't remember that guy's name to save my life. I kept getting stuck on Bob, which obviously wasn't right. The line was, "Bear's god can beat up your god."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  15:58:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nope. Bear. I couldn't remember that guy's name to save my life. I kept getting stuck on Bob, which obviously wasn't right. The line was, "Bear's god can beat up your god."

My bad. I couldn't remember if it was Bear or Walinda he was referring to.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. It's not like I could remember for a couple of hours either.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000