Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demi-humans in Kara-Tur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Psychiclemon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  15:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Psychiclemon's Homepage Send Psychiclemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, complete noob here so this might be the wrong place to ask this but im sure someone can move it to the relevant place if it is.

Anyway, I recently got hold of the Kara-Tur campaign setting and noticed that it doesnt seem to mention the usual demi human races (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings etc) at all. Do they exist in Kara-Tur and if so in what sort of numbers compared to Faerun? Also if they do exist there do they share the same culture as their western cousins or do they have a completely different outlook like the various races in Zakhara.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  16:17:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the korobokuru are the Oriental-equivalent of "western" dwarves. But the actual races themselves have never really received all that much attention in the Kara-Tur material. And, as I recall, a search of the PDF for the Kara-Tur Campaign Setting revealed virtually nothing about them in terms of references.

So, while I suspect there are undoubtedly elves, halflings, and dwarves throughout the lands of the far east, I would assume that they're hardly of any appreciable amount. Thus, there's been few reasons to mention them specifically in the published material.

I will also note, however, that significant numbers of elves have been referenced in places throughout the Endless Waste. As have the dwarves, and small pockets of halflings as well. Which probably means they're the likely source of those few elves, dwarves, and halflings found further east in lands like Kara-Tur and Shou Lung for example. See The Horde [available as a free PDF download at WotC] boxed set for more info.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Psychiclemon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  16:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Psychiclemon's Homepage Send Psychiclemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info :)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  21:32:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Sage said, the Korobokuru are the "Eastern" dwarves in Kara-tur. Other races are the Hengeyokai (intelligent animals that can assume human form) and Spirit Folk (descendants of humans and spirits of nature).

In 2nd edition, Hengeyokai were most often from the following animals: Carp, Cat, Crab, Crane, Dog, Drake, Fox, Hare, Monkey, Raccoon dog, Rat, or Sparrow. Spirit Folk were either Bamboo (from the earth spirits), River (fresh water spirits) or Sea (salt water spirits).

The 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures mixed together information from both the Rokugan/Legend of the Five Rings and Kara-Tur/Forgotten Realms settings. As such, the book includes stats for Korobokuru, Hengeyokai (Badger, Carp, Cat, Crab, Crane, Dog, Fox, Hare, Monkey, Raccoon dog, Rat, Sparrow and Weasel) and Spirit Folk (Bamboo, River and Sea). They also included the Nezumi (Ratlings) and Vanara (Monkeylike humanoids), plus information on how to integrate the "common" races into an Oriental Adventures setting.

The Forgotten Realms book Unapproachable East also included information on Spirit Folk that had migrated from Kara-Tur, but these folk were either Mountain Spirit Folk or River Spirit Folk.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000