Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reasoning behind no bonus 0 level spells?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  03:38:20  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I find that cantrips to be a rich grounds to pull up Roleplaying tools. I especially love how Pathfinder's cantrips work.

So why didn't the original designers and even Pathfinder allow for bonus spells base don high INT abilities.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  12:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can always allow bonus spells in your campaign, even if it might not be in the rules.

I've been doing that for a while now in my 2E campaign. They never made a rule for magic bonus spells for a high INT in 2E, but I just decided that in my game I would allow them. And I STILL have a 1st level mage who is complaining that 2 spells a day isn't enough. HAHA I told him he was lucky, under standard rules he'd have just 1.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  18:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just make them unlimited use spells (maybe with a feat). Itll make lower levels more enjoyable (and its nothing game breaking at high levels).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  18:29:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Just make them unlimited use spells (maybe with a feat). Itll make lower levels more enjoyable (and its nothing game breaking at high levels).

*cough*Pathfinder*cough*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2010 :  19:05:34  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've wondered why they didn't put 0 level spells in for bonus spell levels either. Doesn't seem there is any good reason not too. And some 0 level spells stay relivent for the whole game.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  04:58:07  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely accept that I can house rule bonus lvl 0 spells, as such an idea is kinda a no brainer to me. I'm just perplexed as to why the system wasn't designed that way. They must have had a reason behind doing so.

It is such an obvious inconsistency. =)

I'm assuming they had a good reason, so I'm interested in hearing it.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  13:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hell, it wasn't until 3rd Edition that the idea of cantrips became main stream. Maybe they thought the idea of cantrips was a bonus unto itself.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  14:28:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fizilbert

Hell, it wasn't until 3rd Edition that the idea of cantrips became main stream. Maybe they thought the idea of cantrips was a bonus unto itself.

I still haven't seen any edition handle them in a way that matches the flavor of them. The closest I saw was an article in Dragon, making cantrips a proficiency (this was 2E, obviously). I loved the idea and sold my DM on it, and played a half-elf fighter-mage aristocrat (a kit from another issue of Dragon), and with it being a proficiency, he made heavy use of cantrips -- adding flavor to food, drying his clothes, repairing small rips in his clothes, starting the campfire, shaving, dropping a layer of dust in an area to see if there was anything invisible, etc.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  22:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E had a fairly good set of cantrip spells. Most of them had similar effects to what you just described; flavoring food, souring food, tie, untie, flame finger, mend, etc...

When 2E came out they got rid of cantrips, except for the 1st level cantrip spell, which was just lame really. Then Dragon Mag re-hashed the idea of cantrips by bring out what was essentially the same thing that 1E had.

I dont like what they did with cantrips in 3E though. To me it seems like they ignored the cantrips that 1E had, and instead shifted some spells that use to be 1st level in the prior editions down to cantrip level in 3E, such as light and detect magic.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  04:14:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1E had a fairly good set of cantrip spells. Most of them had similar effects to what you just described; flavoring food, souring food, tie, untie, flame finger, mend, etc...

I actually used those for my 2E character.

quote:

When 2E came out they got rid of cantrips, except for the 1st level cantrip spell, which was just lame really. Then Dragon Mag re-hashed the idea of cantrips by bring out what was essentially the same thing that 1E had.

As I recall, the 1E idea of cantrips was that you used four cantrips in place of a single 1st-level spell. The proficiency idea gave you more cantrips (the number increasing with your level) that you just needed a proficiency check for (that check wasn't necessary after like 8th level). So it wasn't the same as 2E's idea of a useful spell or a cantrip, or 1E's idea of a useful spell or 4 cantrips.

quote:

I dont like what they did with cantrips in 3E though. To me it seems like they ignored the cantrips that 1E had, and instead shifted some spells that use to be 1st level in the prior editions down to cantrip level in 3E, such as light and detect magic.

I can see making things like light and detect magic easier to use, because at low levels, most mages wouldn't bother with them. That said, I don't know that going the cantrip route was the right one, either. Perhaps something in the middle, with it being a class ability requiring a skill check...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  05:41:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not *just* to echo Ashe here, but in Pathfinder, you prepare a number of cantrips per day, which don't get expended when you use them. So basically, pick your favorite 4-6 and they become unlimited at-will abilities.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  06:13:54  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not *just* to echo Ashe here, but in Pathfinder, you prepare a number of cantrips per day, which don't get expended when you use them. So basically, pick your favorite 4-6 and they become unlimited at-will abilities.

Cheers

That's true, and Pathfinder also made a few more nice additions as well as rectifying some problems that many had with some classes and prestige classes. There's a link in my signature that will help out a lot if you're interested in the Pathfinder wizard and sorcerer. By the way, the way Pathfinder fixed the polymorph spell is perfect.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Arzakon
Seeker

Spain
58 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  09:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Arzakon's Homepage Send Arzakon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to ask... but I'm really curious about this. What is and where do I find that "pathfinder" wizard?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  09:38:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

That's true, and Pathfinder also made a few more nice additions as well as rectifying some problems that many had with some classes and prestige classes. There's a link in my signature that will help out a lot if you're interested in the Pathfinder wizard and sorcerer. By the way, the way Pathfinder fixed the polymorph spell is perfect.

I gotta agree, the fact that cantrips/orisons are now at-will spells make them so much more useful. I also made it so 0-lvl spells that deal damage like acid splash and electric jolt deal max damage. I mean, I honestly don't think 3 damage is all that game breaking even at level 1.

BTW, how did Paizo change the Polymorph spell?
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  09:55:20  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arzakon

I hate to ask... but I'm really curious about this. What is and where do I find that "pathfinder" wizard?

Here's the link for the Pathfinder Wizard. And as I'm posting this, we're having a set of thunderstorms that are hitting my area. I'll try and get back to this tomorrow.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 24 Jan 2010 09:59:54
Go to Top of Page

Fizilbert
Learned Scribe

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  12:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Fizilbert's Homepage Send Fizilbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall, the 1E idea of cantrips was that you used four cantrips in place of a single 1st-level spell. The proficiency idea gave you more cantrips (the number increasing with your level) that you just needed a proficiency check for (that check wasn't necessary after like 8th level). So it wasn't the same as 2E's idea of a useful spell or a cantrip, or 1E's idea of a useful spell or 4 cantrips.

Hmm...I dont recall that. In 1E Unearthed Arcana, they described cantrips as 0 level spells such as fire finger, flavor, sour, tie, untie, knot, color, etc... They broke them down into several categories such as "useful, reversed, legerdemain, haunting, etc."

This was the same version that Dragon Magazine described in their volumes #59 and 60.

Fiz
Level 10 Vice-president
World of Elethril
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  14:04:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmm...I dont recall that. In 1E Unearthed Arcana, they described cantrips as 0 level spells such as fire finger, flavor, sour, tie, untie, knot, color, etc... They broke them down into several categories such as "useful, reversed, legerdemain, haunting, etc."

This was the same version that Dragon Magazine described in their volumes #59 and 60.

As I recall, though, 1E spellslingers didn't have any 0-level slots. So they had to sacrifice a 1st-level slot to have some 0-level slots.

Admittedly, though, it's been a long time since I've looked thru those books. I used to have all of the 1E and 2E hardcovers, but I've not yet gotten around to replacing them.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jan 2010 14:05:16
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  21:04:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR did eventually get around to using the cantrip rules from 1st ed in 2nd ed. They were listed in Vol. 4 of the Complete Wizard's Spell Compendium (in the index and misc. setion in the back.) They did have the categories and cantrips from the Dragon issues, as well as some world-specific ones, and used the rules for replacing a 1st level spell with four cantrips. I have Volumes 1, 2, and 4 (never got 3) and use them frequently for obscure spells to annoy my players with. The cantrips were a lot of fun, and I really don't know why they did not put in extra slots for Int bonuses in 3rd ed. I usually treat them as an unlimited-use spell level, since they are suposed to take up so little space in a spellcaster's memory. There was a similar rule set for clerics, called orisons, but I don't remember the specifics. Sadly, I only ever picked up one volume of the Cleric's Spell Compendium.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000