Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  21:07:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I am, too.
[SPOILERS]

Let's see: Elminster, Storm, The Simbul, War Wizards, Highknights, Cormyr, stolen magic, El enfeebled by the Spellplague or what happened to Mystra, or both, Storm ditto but young and beautiful rather than falling apart like El is, dissent (or just nice characterisation) among the Cormryreans...
Yep, all good. And making me think we're going to get a big does of the Palace, and dastardly nobles plus one fun young one (possible romance?).
Yes, yes, YES! The Realms LIVES!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  00:00:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, I wish to express my fondest wishes for Ed and his wife, and my prayers go to her speedy recovery.

Second, Matt James made a cryptic comment in another thread, about some possible 'good news' for FR fans. Considering the thread he posted in, I have some high hopes now.

Just wondering if Ed is 'in on' this. I'm sure you can't tell us what it is, but just knowing Ed is involved will probably give us fans something to hang on to.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  07:08:23  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
Yes!
...And wasn't there something about a little bird talking about some FR-related good news some time (a year, or so) ago? Or has that secret already been shared with us scribes?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  08:04:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

Yes!
...And wasn't there something about a little bird talking about some FR-related good news some time (a year, or so) ago? Or has that secret already been shared with us scribes?

I don't believe we've learned the full particulars of that past revelation. Maybe it's still to come.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  10:14:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Elminster wakes up and says "I just had the most terrible nightmare!"

Then the other person in the bed sits up - its Bob Newhart - and says "Who the hell are you?"

<They both turn to the camera and scream - que music from Psycho>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  10:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Please give Mrs. Greenwood all of my best wishes for a quick recovery, and she's in my prayers.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  18:40:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, I'll pass that on to her.

Amarel, the good news I mentioned obliquely a time or two a while back was Ed's new multi-book contract with Wizards. I believe it's a six-book contract (I have my "deep Hasbro" sources ), and we know that Ed has finished the first one, ELMINSTER MUST DIE (which will come out this August, though I haven't yet seen any publicity push for it), and is on the verge of finishing the second one.
I can tell that Ed knows some other good Realms-related news (probably not directly involving him), but of course he won't tell us, because, well, NDAs are NDAs.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  18:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message
haha! Oooh, the teasing! The teasing!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  19:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. When it comes to teasing and the lovely lady THO, you aint' seen NOTHING yet.
When it starts getting too hot and sticky in here to keep clothes on, THEN you'll start to see things.
Ask any ranger...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2010 :  20:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message
No clothes? Rangers?! Chosen Enemy: Serpents!

*ahem*

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  11:00:55  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thank you, I'll pass that on to her.

Amarel, the good news I mentioned obliquely a time or two a while back was Ed's new multi-book contract with Wizards. I believe it's a six-book contract (I have my "deep Hasbro" sources ), and we know that Ed has finished the first one, ELMINSTER MUST DIE (which will come out this August, though I haven't yet seen any publicity push for it), and is on the verge of finishing the second one.
I can tell that Ed knows some other good Realms-related news (probably not directly involving him), but of course he won't tell us, because, well, NDAs are NDAs.
love,
THO

Ah, I see. Nice to finally read about it!
Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  20:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
What cities in the Realms allow the sale of ale, wine, and/or spirits from roving wagons and carts?
Of those that do, are there limits on times, amounts, etc.?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 11 Jun 2010 20:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2010 :  03:02:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I have a feeling that a Realms book on the Planes is coming.

Just in time for the Epic Tier in the Living Realms.

Or a 4E Faiths and Pantheons.

(Just speculation on my part)

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  14:58:46  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Could it be that there is news of a fan sight policy that is user/sight friendly????????? Could the wise people at WOTC have finally heard our cries......???????????Time will tell.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  19:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another quick question on Symrustar Auglamyr - What's her orientation? She's obviously willing to be with males, but that was before the change (and the trauma), and in order to gain more magic. After getting Chosen, will she be willing to enter a relatioship? And would she have any preferences in a lover?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  23:12:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, according to Ed:

Symrustar after becoming Chosen is open to both male and female relationships, with elves, humans, and half-elves . . . but not VERY open. Many Chosen, when they first become Chosen, are wary of forming close relationships with anyone other than Mystra, Azuth, and fellow Chosen (plus other servitors of Mystra), because they don't want those they come to love to be endangered by consorting with them. Most Chosen slowly "grow out" of this attitude.
Mystra has become good at nurturing her mortal Chosen so they don't, at least, feel lonely in their first few years as Chosen. They get mothered, befriended by fellow Chosen, and made to feel they belong. (In the past, with the previous Mystra and with Mystryl, this didn't always happen.)

So saith Ed. Who is alive and well and trying to get caught up on a lot of things, Candlekeep lore requests included.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  06:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thank you for the prompt reply! And sorry for the double posting: I have no idea how that happened.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  08:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Another quick question on Symrustar Auglamyr - What's her orientation? She's obviously willing to be with males, but that was before the change (and the trauma), and in order to gain more magic. After getting Chosen, will she be willing to enter a relatioship? And would she have any preferences in a lover?

If I might gently interject here - a person's orientation is not usually changed by a trauma. Mostly it is agreed that a person's orientation is part genetic, and part biochemical, and is something that is pretty much set from birth. A trauma may well cause a person to reevaluate how they view their sexuality, but it won't change a straight person gay, a gay person straight, or any other shade of orientation to another shade of orientation. There is some fluidity to sexuality, because it's not simply a binary (or trinary) dynamic (it's more like a spectrum), so while it might SEEM that someone has "changed", they have merely embraced (or denied) a different aspect of themselves that was always there to begin with (and always will be there in the case of denial).

If we also couple all this with the general invisibility and misunderstanding of bisexuality in our society, it can seem rather confusing.

Unless, of course, the biological underpinnings of sexuality don't work the same way in the Realms. (Also, socially the Realms is very different to Earth with regards to how a person's sexuality is viewed and the kinds of pressures there would be on a person to "conform" to a hetero-normative life.)

I'd be interested if Ed has any comments to make regarding the purely biological side of sexuality in the Realms. :)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  09:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh, certainly, Zandilar, I am quite aware of this. What I meant (and I thought it wass clear from the way I phrased it, but evidently not) was: 'Is she still willing to be with males as she was, since her ability/willingness to do so may have changed because of the trauma?' But i guess it doesn't matter that much, as I would like to hear Ed's thoughts on the biological side of sexuality as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  16:51:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Back in May in this thread, re. "the Knights arrived at the Old Skull Inn, chatted with the staff, got jumped by Zhent undercover agents (who'd been in the taproom) that night in their rooms, survived, ..."
capnvan asked: "Did you leave a good tip? If not, could that have been the impetus for an entire campaign?
Former bartender, just checking!"

. . . and I neglected to furnish a proper reply. Which was: we did indeed, and paid handsomely for the broken windows and furniture that the Zhentarim attackers caused in their assaults, too. Torm tried to give Jhaele something extra, but the rest of us hauled him off even before she got ready to slap him a good one. She did get as far as the chuckling and shaking her head stage, though...
Ed's looking into a certain "spun yarn" as I post this. Wish him luck.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Luck!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  00:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yes. Luck from me, too. Ed sure needs it with the Spin A Yarn tales. Anyone would, after the crazy lists of stuff the seminar attendees come up with, every year. I think it's a credit to Ed that he turns them into coherent stories at all - - and some of them have been great, not just entertaining reads...
Go, Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  10:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
Hello THO and here is a quick question:

does Elminster have a gardener?

Odd question I know but I'm just curious.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  11:33:12  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Pre-Spell Plague I would assume any gardening is done by Lhaeo.
Post-Spell Plague, a specific gardener wouldn't make much sense (since there isn't much left of Elm's tower), but I do have some info on the 'farm hands' at Silverhand farm - where Elminster is rumored to occasionally stay.
The following was used in two LFR adventures, I think it is ok to share it here. Ed may expand or correct where I am wrong:

Three farmhands tend Silverhand farm:

Ailen Fouland is a male elf, tall, strong, quiet and withdrawn. Not much info omn him yet.

Yeleda Manádaur is a female half-elf with long blond tresses and fair skin. She has grey eyes and heavy eyebrows. Only the few wrinkles around her eyes indicate she has seen quite a few summers. She leads the farm’s staff.
She is a person with a minor talent for magic. She is also one of the farm’s most outgoing persons. Her friendship with Addee Ulphor (lady mayor of Shadowdale) goes back a long time, before the lady mayor received the Pendant of Ashaba.
Besides caring for the farm, she also maintains the former shrine to Mystra, now a memorial to the local heroine Syluné.

Mishell Nymonen is a young dark-haired wood elf, with skin as dark as oak, with a faint sheen of green. Her hair is near black. She has a faint scar on the left side of her neck that creeps up to her ear. She wears simple hides and leathers, and carries a long sword at her side.
She is not often seen by townsfolk. She is a tracker, very in touch with the fey that live in the woods around Shadowdale. She also has a good rapport with the eladrin from Myth Drannor.

Aside from tending the farm, the three farm hands keep nosy people away from bothering Elminster.

I like to think (so not 'canon') of them as members of a loose-tied and unnamed (as of yet, and maybe never will) group that aid Elminster and Storm to keep the Dalelands safe.
Other members of that group could be Deindre Soarlyn, a female bard who poses as a tavern wench and watches over Velarsburg, and Yellirra Am'benuinyl, mistress of stars of the Fall of Stars in New Velar.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 16 Jun 2010 08:19:25
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  19:52:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I really enjoyed Ondal's Stand today THO.

Please tell Ed thank you for some wonderful Realmslore.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Jun 2010 19:52:25
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  19:55:41  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
A quick question about Chosen and age. It's been stated that the Chosen generally go insane in one way or another from outliving everything around them, or some such. But why is that? Lots of sentient beings in the realms, especially dragons (think white dragons were the shortest-lived, and even they clocked in at approximately 2100 years) live for millenia without it driving them crazy.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  20:41:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
khorne, Ed and I have talked about this, and it's more the stresses of the Weave wearing out both bodies and minds of mortals - - accentuated by, yes, their loss of every person they held dear, over and over again, plus (eventually) even the cities and countries they loved and knew.
So they lose what they're fighting for, and carry ever-more grief plus their loneliness, plus the Weave searing their brains, more and more...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  00:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
khorne, Ed and I have talked about this, and it's more the stresses of the Weave wearing out both bodies and minds of mortals - - accentuated by, yes, their loss of every person they held dear, over and over again, plus (eventually) even the cities and countries they loved and knew.
So they lose what they're fighting for, and carry ever-more grief plus their loneliness, plus the Weave searing their brains, more and more...

So if Mystra were to Choose a dragon (unlikely? or is it? has Mystra any prominent draconic followers?), that dragon would also eventually go mad due to the stresses of the Weave?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  01:53:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:

So if Mystra were to Choose a dragon (unlikely? or is it? has Mystra any prominent draconic followers?), that dragon would also eventually go mad due to the stresses of the Weave?

I am guessing she has ....

And that the story is a big fat.....NDA

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  02:47:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yes, there have been dragons who, according to Ed, "worked with" Mystra, but I don't know if they were Chosen or not.
In theory, being a Chosen burns EVERY mortal out, if they go on long enough, but that "long enough" or rather "too long' varies greatly from individual to individual. Remember the elves who "burned out" fairly quickly, versus, say, Elminster who held out for a long time?
In the SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER 2e Realms sourcebook, Ed hinted pretty strongly at what he's told some his players (such as, ahem, me) straight out: that a Chosen who starts to "lose it" is always given the choice by Mystra or Azuth of "retiring" to be some other sort of servitor, continuing to serve Mystra but with less ravaging daily contact with the rushing energies of the Weave.
Ed has confirmed that some Chosen have gone into retirement to prolong their existences, then come back out of retirement to serve as Chosen again much later, when a particular crisis arose (often one involving the survival or defense of a land, city, site, or family/clan/tribe they held dear).
NDAs cover most specific examples of these because TSR or WotC has the lore, and thus owns it, but has not (yet) chosen to publish it.
My personal reading of this is that some TSR and/or WotC staffers down the years have been uncomfortable with this sort of lore because it gets "too close" to real-world religious beliefs, and so have chosen to just not use it/de-emphasize this facet of the Realms (which is, of course, their perfect right).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000