Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Summoners in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  15:42:23  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was looking at the beta release of the summoner from Paizo and I have a player, who - of course, is amping to play one ASAP.

I really don't ever care that much what they make, I just push to work with them on their place in the Realms.

So, basically these summoners are sorcerers who can summon creatures for a particularly long period of time. It's not that off the wall to say "well, they've always existed." But, I'm looking for where in the Realms "summoning wizards" are a real archetype.

If you want to make an evil wizard, you have to ask - why not make a Thayan.

If you want to make a noble knight, you have to ask - why not make a cormyrean.

If you want to make a sleazy merchant, you have to ask - why not make him a Sembian?

So ... a summoner, where should he be from?

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  17:17:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chult.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  19:33:29  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could easily point to the Narfelli as an ancient example of these folks, though they are referenced in canon as being mostly clerical summoners.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  20:03:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
realms of imaskari heritage/influence are into conjuration, like Rashemen (spirits), Narfel (demons), Hordelands (Raumviran elementals and other)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2009 :  20:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Narfel is the only group I recall as being big time summoners. The witches of Rashemen, with all the spirits and elementals around there probably do plenty of summoning. More generally, wizard and cult lairs tend to be populated by summoned beasties os the practice is widespread.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000