Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder vs 3.5 Character Classes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  18:36:52  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm wanting to incorporate the Spell-less Ranger class that was outlined in Kobold Quarterly #11, into my 3.5 campaign. Looking over the class progression, I'm thinking that it is a little more powerful than the standard 3.5 Ranger with spells.

What are your thoughts?

Are Pathfinder classes more powerful on average than their 3.5 counterparts?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  19:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that the 11 classes in the PFRPG are a little more powerful than their namesakes in the 3.5 PH. However, I think that they are pretty balanced with all of the base classes introduced in the myriad of other 3.5 accessories (i.e. the Complete series, the Tome series, et cetera).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2009 :  04:03:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say they're more powerful just less reliant on additional supplements and Prestige classes. Take the Barbarian for example: The class's ability to rage is designed for high level progression. While this makes class-dipping pointless now it makes the class seem more powerful than it's 3.5 counterpart.

But the main problem I still have remains, wheather your using Pathfinder or 3.5, is the over abundance of Save-or-die spells there are in additiona to high level play for non-spellcasters. To me, multipul attacks per round don't equal to creating an area of negative gravity.

However, Paizo did an amazing job with the revisions and I hope my friend is still going to purchase their material so we can play.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  02:15:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All hail Paizo!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  20:58:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

All hail Paizo!

......or not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000