Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Champions of Torm (DDI)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  18:29:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Champions of Torm

quote:
Wherever villainy triumphs and injustice reigns, the servants of Torm bring truth and light to the darkest shadows. The divine servants of the Loyal Fury will not rest until they defeat the countless evils that beset the good folk of the Realms. Torm is one of the brightest divine figures in the Realms, and his priests are known for their valor and self-sacrifice. Should you choose the path of the champion of justice, walk tall and proud, carrying the weight of history and nobility in all that you do, bolstered with the feats, powers, organizations, and items in this article.

Before the Spellplague, Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater formed a “triad” of benevolent deities. This covenant has been renewed in the wake of Tyr’s death, with Torm, Ilmater, and Bahamut, who was promoted to occupy much the same knightly place Torm did for Tyr. While Torm is technically the god of law while Bahamut is charged with justice, a considerable amount of overlap exists between the deities, and Torm is known widely as a god of justice in addition to cold law. Torm and his priests err on the side of benevolence when determining lawful matters. The gods of the Triad make a perfect set of judges: Bahamut’s desire for justice balanced by Ilmater’s mercy, with Torm as the calm center

By Eytan Bernstein and Erik Scott de Bie

Nice little 4 page pdf.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Nov 2009 18:48:49

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  20:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Brimstone. I look forward to any and all feedback!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  00:06:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a well crafted article. And I can definitely see some opportunities for use in a potential side-quest of my current campaign. Overall, 'twas nice just to have some new Realmslore on Torm and Tyr. Plus, the bit which focuses on the relationships between Torm and the rest of the pantheon, was a welcome addition. Now I've got to make an effort to read the Eye of Justice from DUNEGON #171.

And, let me just say, Eytan and Erik make a great Lorelord combination. I hope to see more collaborative efforts from them in the future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  00:27:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This was a well crafted article. And I can definitely see some opportunities for use in a potential side-quest of my current campaign. Overall, 'twas nice just to have some new Realmslore on Torm and Tyr. Plus, the bit which focuses on the relationships between Torm and the rest of the pantheon, was a welcome addition. Now I've got to make an effort to read the Eye of Justice from DUNEGON #171.

And, let me just say, Eytan and Erik make a great Lorelord combination. I hope to see more collaborative efforts from them in the future.

. Lorelord Combination........involving Erik and Eytan...

Sounds like something from the "Adult" section of scrolls.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Nov 2009 00:31:35
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  14:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one am looking forward to seeing the look, as I haven't yet had a chance to download it.

Are these good/useful articles to put up? I think that the 4-page PDF format (quick-in-and-out lore/mechanics) is pretty slick. What other religious groups in the Realms would folks want to see?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  14:39:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um...all of them eventually.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  14:47:19  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I for one am looking forward to seeing the look, as I haven't yet had a chance to download it.

Are these good/useful articles to put up? I think that the 4-page PDF format (quick-in-and-out lore/mechanics) is pretty slick. What other religious groups in the Realms would folks want to see?

Cheers

I don't want to see Shar or Bane anytime soon. Tempus would be nice to see or maybe Waukeen. No wait...Kelemvor!!!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  15:46:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are these good/useful articles to put up? I think that the 4-page PDF format (quick-in-and-out lore/mechanics) is pretty slick.
Well, for my own tastes, I'd prefer more lore, since I tend to adapt most rules-related aspects to my own system of game mechanics. But I'd imagine the balance is fair enough for most readers.
quote:
What other religious groups in the Realms would folks want to see?
Are you including Exarchs?

If so, my immediate choices would be, among the Greater Gods, Chauntea, Oghma, and Selûne. From the Lesser Gods, Gond and Sseth. And if you're also willing to include the Exarchs, I'd suggest, Milil, for what I hope are obvious reasons!

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Nov 2009 15:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  16:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I second this.
But any of the powers that got promoted first would be a start, then moving on to the regular deities - then feature the exarchs.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Well obviously, but to be specific . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

I don't want to see Shar or Bane anytime soon. Tempus would be nice to see or maybe Waukeen. No wait...Kelemvor!!!

quote:

If so, my immediate choices would be, among the Greater Gods, Chauntea, Oghma, and Selûne. From the Lesser Gods, Gond and Sseth. And if you're also willing to include the Exarchs, I'd suggest, Milil, for what I hope are obvious reasons!

Solid suggestions! Those will go into the ol' hopper.

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Any of the powers that got promoted first would be a start, then moving on to the regular deities - then feature the exarchs.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean(?) Do you mean promoted recently (Fzoul, Obould, etc.), or promoted at all (Bane, Kelemvor, Cyric, etc.)?

quote:

quote:

Are these good/useful articles to put up? I think that the 4-page PDF format (quick-in-and-out lore/mechanics) is pretty slick.
Well, for my own tastes, I'd prefer more lore, since I tend to adapt most rules-related aspects to my own system of game mechanics. But I'd imagine the balance is fair enough for most readers.
Yeah, it's a balance thing. Though you can rest assured--those of us who know and love the Realms will never forsake the lore.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The recent promotions of Obould and Fzoul would be nice. I would like to read more about Milil.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:26:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Loviatat, Milil.....that would be a good
start!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh heh heh.

Just know that, if I did Loviatar, it would be really, really dark. (If you know my writing, you know what I mean.)

I'm hoping that these articles turn into a regular column about deities in the Realms.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  23:53:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just know that, if I did Loviatar, it would be really, really dark. (If you know my writing, you know what I mean.)
Hmmm. I hadn't considered Loviatar. Heh. Consider it seconded.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  02:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will note that they seem to have edited out my Sune + Torm = <3 sidebar, which I imagine they did for length.

They didn't remove the reference to it, however, so lest you think I am absent-minded, I shall share that tidbit here. Exclusive lore, straight from the author's keyboard, as it were:

A Divine Romance
Torm is linked to Sune Firehair, goddess of love, in many fanciful stories and romantic tales. Regardless of the truth between the two deities, their priesthoods often act out this legendary romance, and classic stories abound of courtly knights of Torm pining for alluring priests of Sune. In particular, the Lay of Jain and Elloe--about a knight of justice and the bard-priestess he loved--is a popular ballad, sung in taverns throughout Faerun, and a favorite of bards leading courtly knights into battle.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  05:20:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  06:07:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In particular, the Lay of Jain and Elloe--about a knight of justice and the bard-priestess he loved--is a popular ballad, sung in taverns throughout Faerun, and a favorite of bards leading courtly knights into battle.
Neat. Any chance you've composed some lyrics for this particular ditty?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  12:52:19  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will note that they seem to have edited out my Sune + Torm = <3 sidebar, which I imagine they did for length.

They didn't remove the reference to it, however, so lest you think I am absent-minded, I shall share that tidbit here. Exclusive lore, straight from the author's keyboard, as it were:

A Divine Romance
Torm is linked to Sune Firehair, goddess of love, in many fanciful stories and romantic tales. Regardless of the truth between the two deities, their priesthoods often act out this legendary romance, and classic stories abound of courtly knights of Torm pining for alluring priests of Sune. In particular, the Lay of Jain and Elloe--about a knight of justice and the bard-priestess he loved--is a popular ballad, sung in taverns throughout Faerun, and a favorite of bards leading courtly knights into battle.

Cheers

I pointed the omission out at the WotC boards. Thank you for resolving the mystery for me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  13:52:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh heh heh.

I'm hoping that these articles turn into a regular column about deities in the Realms.

Cheers

That was why I suggested her to you....your the perfect scribe to "do her" right. Every now and then it would be good to just have some nuggets of pure darkness!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 18 Nov 2009 13:52:38
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  17:35:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Heh heh heh.

Cheers

That was why I suggested her to you....your the perfect scribe to "do her" right. Every now and then it would be good to just have some nuggets of pure darkness!

That doesn't revole around Shar.

I like Shar and all, but give us a break. Loviatar would be cool consider it thirded, or fourthed....

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly