Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Aasimar out?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperNashwan
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  07:15:11  Show Profile  Visit SuperNashwan's Homepage Send SuperNashwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

i searched the Players-, the DM- and the Players Book to the Realms for the Aasimar's. Cant find them so far - are they out?

Greets & THX

The GOOD is not good enought!

Edited by - SuperNashwan on 08 Nov 2009 07:15:27

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  07:35:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3E or 4E?

4E doesn't have Aasimar, we get Deva's instead.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  09:29:26  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

3E or 4E?

Wasn't it obvious?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  09:33:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just trying to make sure...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SuperNashwan
Acolyte

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  10:49:38  Show Profile  Visit SuperNashwan's Homepage Send SuperNashwan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought it was obviuos ;-)

Yes i meant the 4th Edition. And Brimstone, what do you mean with Devas? And were are the Aasimars right now? Simply canceled or what?

Thx

The GOOD is not good enought!
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  11:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he meant that the Aasimars went the way of the eladrin and the dragonborn: what was called "aasimar" is now called "deva" regardless that they were quite different in D&D lore.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  14:03:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

I think he meant that the Aasimars went the way of the eladrin and the dragonborn: what was called "aasimar" is now called "deva" regardless that they were quite different in D&D lore.

Pretty much...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  15:29:16  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get the Deva thing.
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  15:49:05  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I don't think they're supposed to be Devas. It seems that the Aasimar are either going to be released later or not at all. A race that is "nothing but good" seems to go against WotC's current development plan.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  15:58:27  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There won't be any aasimars in the 4th edition. The biggest problem was the name, apparently. Devas reincarnate and look different, everything else is unchanged.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember way back, when Rich Baker was answering questions before the release of 4e, that he stated that if Aasimars showed up in 4e, they would not be called "Aasimars" anymore because WotC brass did not like the name. Beyond that, I know nothing, because I refuse to buy into 4e.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  21:50:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could be they didn't like the name since many seem to pronounce it with a short "a" instead of the long "a".

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  06:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Devas aren't really the same as aasimar, and since the name aasimar is not being used, and since the lore regarding aasimar hasn't actually been revoked, per se, one could assume that planetouched of a celestial bent are still around and may still be called aasimar in certain circles.

One thing to consider is that aasimar were most populous in Mulhorand, which had part of a continent dropped on it. So those aasimar were wiped out. But there are surely some aasimar left in other parts of the globe. How they look and what special traits they manifest will relate to their celestial heritage. No reason they should have one set of stats. You could adapt the stats from 3e into 4e, or you could just use 4e deva stats, or you could tack on creature levels, a la Savage Species, say a level or two of solar or planetar or even lammasu. Whatever works for you (and your DM).
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  21:09:53  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come play the PRPG game, where aasimars are still aasimars:

Aasimar Characters
Aasimars are defined by class levels—they do not possess
racial Hit Dice. Aasimars have the following racial traits.
+2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom: Aasimars are insightful,
confident, and personable.
Normal Speed: Aasimars have a base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Aasimars can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Skilled: Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy
and Perception checks.
Spell-Like Ability: Aasimars can use daylight once per
day as a spell-like ability (caster level equals the aasimar’s
class level).
Celestial Resistance: Aasimars have acid resistance 5,
cold resistance 5, and electricity resistance 5.
Languages: Aasimars begin play speaking Common
and Celestial. Aasimars with high Intelligence scores can
choose any of the following bonus languages: Draconic,
Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Half ling, and Sylvan.

EDIT: daylight is now VERY powerful (in the PRPG rules) being the only spell that can pierce the darkness spell (that and continual flame IF cast by a cleric and not a wizard... i.e. cont flame is clr3, wiz/sor 2)

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 13 Nov 2009 21:18:01
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  10:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started a thread on this over at RPGnet not long ago. In the Realms, Devas were just called Aasimars before the spellplague, with fluff that can be changed, or not, at your discretion. Someone mentioned that they had not been entirely ruled out, but I don't recall who or where, and that some sort of Aasimar-esque feats were on DDI.

Personally, I think they're sufficiently well recognised and distinct to warrent a writeup, especially when you have the Eladrin and Elves in the same book. Greatly preferable, IMHO, to minotaurs and gnolls.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  19:12:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want both Aasimars and Devas in your Realms, then look no further than here-->http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Aasimar_%284e_Race%29

True, it's homebrew but it does a good job and the feats on that site related with Aasimars are pretty good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000