Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Paul S. Kemp has ended his relationship with WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  14:43:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

This is what comes of speculation. I strongly urge you to stick with what you know, because what you think MIGHT BE the story will probably be repeated, reposted, and eventually accepted as factual. Please keep in mind that writers are not just bylines on a book: We are real people who have to live with the online biographies you write for us.
I hope Elaine doesn't mind, but I'm going to quote this particular bit from her previous post because it's a very important point. Especially since, we here at Candlekeep, pride ourselves on keeping up-to-date on the most accurate and detailed information as possible.

Wooly and I work very hard to ensure most of the more nonsensical and nonsense posts/commentary are either locked away or countered almost immediately after posting. It's long been our concern that such comments work against the spirit of an online message board -- particularly like what we have here at Candlekeep, which has a very specific topic focus. Thus, we try to guard against such nonsense whenever it appears as a potential disruption of an otherwise worthwhile discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  15:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

This is what comes of speculation. I strongly urge you to stick with what you know, because what you think MIGHT BE the story will probably be repeated, reposted, and eventually accepted as factual. Please keep in mind that writers are not just bylines on a book: We are real people who have to live with the online biographies you write for us.
I hope Elaine doesn't mind, but I'm going to quote this particular bit from her previous post because it's a very important point. Especially since, we here at Candlekeep, pride ourselves on keeping up-to-date on the most accurate and detailed information as possible.

Wooly and I work very hard to ensure most of the more nonsensical and nonsense posts/commentary are either locked away or countered almost immediately after posting. It's long been our concern that such comments work against the spirit of an online message board -- particularly like what we have here at Candlekeep, which has a very specific topic focus. Thus, we try to guard against such nonsense whenever it appears as a potential disruption of an otherwise worthwhile discussion.

I must add that you both do a fine job of it. I imagine it is a lot of work and can be very frustrating, especially with repeat offenders. We are very fortunate here at CK to have two very dedicated forum admins who also participate so extensively. Kudos to the two of you.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  16:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lament is ours, the adventure his.
May the force be with him.

Thx for all the fun

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  00:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the best to Paul and I will certainly be picking up any future novels of his, regardless of genre, simply because he is a fantastic writer. Yet, rearding no more Realms by him...gutted.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  03:40:48  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am full on depressed by this news.
Go to Top of Page

Darkstar Daimonizomal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  07:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Darkstar Daimonizomal's Homepage Send Darkstar Daimonizomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who is a casual fan of FR and only read around 150 books or so, I am going to miss Paul S. Kemp and wish him well in his new endeavors. His Shadow "X" series (Twilight Wars trilogy?) was a real pleasure to read.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  03:23:42  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So this is most likely in bad taste:

Can we start a pool on the next author to go?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  03:47:44  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, bad taste.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  04:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only is that in bad taste, it's something that I'm going to officially discourage right now. I see any threads like that, they're getting deleted.

There's already enough negativity around; speculation like that would only encourage it. And speculation like that would also be something that most authors would not want to see.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  04:07:55  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather start a pool on who the next FR author will be. Some new blood will pick up the slack.

Anyway, Paul S. Kemp's departure is a loss for the Realms. I'm sure with his talent and now copious experience he will do well in other settings and possibly in his own original works someday, the sooner the better.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  05:04:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So this is most likely in bad taste:

Can we start a pool on the next author to go?

Given the emoticon, I'll assume you meant this in sarcastic jest.

Regardless, I don't think such a scroll would be useful here at Candlekeep. And while I agree that it is bad taste, it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

I will not have it!

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2009 05:05:53
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  05:59:04  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed sir.
My pardons. Was trying to
throw in a moment of levity in
a tense situation.

The site has the feel of a pressure
cooker. I think a way to blow off
the steam is getting to be necessary.
Just my opinion.

Edited by - althen artren on 29 Nov 2009 06:03:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2009 :  06:06:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Understood.

As I said, I'd imagined you'd offered the comment in jest.

Let's move on.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  19:22:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping Mr Kemp writes some Pathfinder fiction.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well bugger. Still ya got to respect a man who sticks to his guns.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

Sage, you shouldn't have given it a name. Now they have a banner to rally around!

We. Are. The Anti-4e League!!!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  21:39:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:
it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

Sage, you shouldn't have given it a name. Now they have a banner to rally around!

Let's not encourage this idea, please. It's already far too prevalent, given how vocal some of the anti-4E have been in the past.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  00:25:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:

While I can appreciate the humour, I must also agree with Wooly. My intention above was not to specifically assign such thoughts to those who, for whatever reason, may have a degree of dislike for the 4e Realms. I was simply attempting to underline the severity of problems caused by unrestrained debate on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  17:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like 4E.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  21:50:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too like 4e as a game system.

The regrets are, for me, the extreme jump in time with so many wonderful stories left untold. It has nothing to do with the game system any longer.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  01:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I like 4E.

And for various reasons I won't get into here, I don't like it.

But on that note, we probably shouldn't derail this thread by stating membership within the 4e fanclub or the polar opposite.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  16:38:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:

I like 4E.

But on that note, we probably shouldn't derail this thread by stating membership within the 4e fanclub or the polar opposite.

Good point. Best to avoid that altogether!

Sage and Wooly, I am wondering if this scroll hasnt outlived its usefullness and is in danger of igniting??

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  23:25:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Sage and Wooly, I am wondering if this scroll hasnt outlived its usefullness and is in danger of igniting??

As long as we get back to the original topic, I think it's fine. We obviously don't need another edition debate, but it's a fact that Mr. Kemp has a lot of fans. This thread is a good place for them to express their feelings on the issue of him separating from WotC.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  23:30:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:

I like 4E.

Good point. Best to avoid that altogether!

I don't think that's necessary right now. Since both Wooly and myself made it clear that my intention wasn't to ignite further debate, the negative comments seemed to have dropped off.

Rest assured, however, that I will be keeping an eye on any further developments.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  12:32:36  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news that Paul S. Kemp has ended with Wotc and i put the blame on WotC and only on them....they continue the destruction with their desicions!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  13:46:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Sad news that Paul S. Kemp has ended with Wotc and i put the blame on WotC and only on them....they continue the destruction with their desicions!!!

I understand your feelings, but Paul pretty much said it was mutual.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  23:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. We don't know any of the details of what happened, so it's quite unfair to go casting blame on anyone.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  14:59:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could have even been something asked of Paul that most fans would have liked, but he didn't feel right with....who knows......

But it wouldn't be to far of a stretch to imagine someone requesting Cale be brought back because of his popularity and also easy to see Paul politley declining....we just don't know what the disagreement was

Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  20:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The regrets are, for me, the extreme jump in time with so many wonderful stories left untold. It has nothing to do with the game system any longer.

I too am sad to see Mr Kemp moving on. Good luck to you sir.
Dalor, I think what you said here is really what it comes down to for me. I have never played 4e. But the discontinuation of our favorite stories and characters is what hurts the most. I am still a little behind in my FR novels. (a little) Is there a list of the novels here with a timeline attached? I think that would be a wonderful thing. But I understand that would require a lot of work.

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  21:30:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Hores-Re

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I too am sad to see Mr Kemp moving on. Good luck to you sir.
Dalor, I think what you said here is really what it comes down to for me. I have never played 4e. But the discontinuation of our favorite stories and characters is what hurts the most. I am still a little behind in my FR novels. (a little) Is there a list of the novels here with a timeline attached? I think that would be a wonderful thing. But I understand that would require a lot of work.

Then you should be pleased to hear the the Book is back on and Paul is once again with WOTC!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000