Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2e conv to 3e Fighting Styles question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  10:18:44  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been looking through some old retired 2e characters of mine with a view to creating a new character using 3e rules.

I found references to Bladesong fighting style and single weapon fighting style specalization.

Now as I'm creating a 3e character I'm trying to fairly create new feats to cover these. (No I do not want to create a Bladesinger so will not be using that prestige class, I just want the style not the magic my character is not a magic user.)

Complete Book of Elves, Chapter 9, page 70
&
Complete Fighters Hand Book, Chapter Combat Rules, page 62

My character is starting as a Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior 3e)
using a Elven Thinblade with Weapon Finesse. I want to balance the best feats for the Ultimate Swordsman, Not a hack and slash Bararian or Knight in Armour, Think Zorro and Errol Flinn, A fencer par excelence.
Obviously my Char is Elven, high Dex, ave str, High Cha & Int.

My Idea re the feats was:

Bladesong Fighting Style:-
As per Blade singer Prestige Class comp warrior.

Greater Bladesong Fighting Style :-
Bonus Attk +2 (taken from CBoE)

unsure on pre-reqs

------

Single Weapon Style specalization :-
Req:-
Dex 16
Weapon Focus

Advantages
+ 1 AC bonus when using any one-handed weapon in Single-Weapon Style. He doesn’t get the bonus if he carries a shield or weapon in his offhand.

Greater Single Weapon Style specalization :-
Req
Single Weapon Style specalization
Dex 18
Greater Weapon Focus

Advantages
Additional +1 AC when fighting in this style. He doesn’t get the bonus if he carries a shield or weapon in his offhand.

What do you think? Any advise.

Delz

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  19:49:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can always check out some of the feats offered in the Pathfinder RPG (Here). They are backwards compatible to 3.0/3.5 and there are some interesting ones:

More 'ladder' feats from Combat Expertise
Critical Focus feats (Apply Condition when you critical)
Vital Strikes (deal more damage with chosen weapon)
etc., etc., etc.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  09:18:40  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

You can always check out some of the feats offered in the Pathfinder RPG (Here). They are backwards compatible to 3.0/3.5 and there are some interesting ones:

More 'ladder' feats from Combat Expertise
Critical Focus feats (Apply Condition when you critical)
Vital Strikes (deal more damage with chosen weapon)
etc., etc., etc.

I've ordered Pathfinder RPG and will look into that, thanks from what I have gathered it's pretty much an easy swop.

But back to D&D FR 3e.....

I'm trying to play around to get the right balance as I dislike play to easy and un realistic but i want to make it achievable with these feats,
The only reason for this is I've been asked to play in an Elven campaign set on Evermeet and I always like to have a career map for my character so I know what he wants to be and which direction to take him.

Delz
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  11:10:52  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

You can always check out some of the feats offered in the Pathfinder RPG (Here).

Wow Halflings have hairy feet again!!

Sorry but IMO the revised haliflings for 3/3.5 were wrong it's good to see hairy barefooted halflings again.

Delz
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  14:37:40  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey that Pathfinders stuff is so cool.........its just like the D&D you have when you're not having D&D...Claytons......I love it!!!!!!!

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  16:24:19  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Magazine #303 has martial arts styles that has the Dance of Blades and Bladesong fighting styles for elves. The Dance of Blades allows you to make an extra attack when you make a 5-foot adjustment after using the Whirlwind Attack feat that uses up one of your attack of opportunities. The Bladesong gives you a +4 competence bonus to Concentration checks when casting defensively.

There's also the Einhander feat in PHBII that provides some tactical manuevers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000