Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Peerage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  04:28:32  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi Scribes... I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction...where can I find the Elvish versions of European peerage,
eg Coronal approximates King
Armathor roughly equal Knight

and so on...

Any information greatly appreciated

cheers.

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  05:14:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ed, back in March '05:-
quote:
ELVES (additional to Coronal, etc.):
[[The following terms aren’t used in every elven realm or community.]]
The mayor or ‘chief of police and defense’ of a community is a DESMRAR (DESMRIL if female) (“DEZZ-mrar” or “DEZZ-mrill”)
A far-traveled, experienced elf who knows or remembers a lot, and can impart it (humans might use the term ‘sage,’ but that often implies book-learning and deduction, whereas the elves mean someone who’s seen with their own eyes, and only augments their own experience with what they’ve learned from others) is often, regardless of gender, called an ALANTAR (“Al-LAN-tar”)
A war leader (unit commander) or mission leader is sometimes called a TELEGAUNT (“TELL-eh-gont”), regardless of gender, but this term is usually used only if the individual is a veteran of proven merit
A SHEE (in some places, “SHREE”) was a wise female elder, strong in magic (in some cases, High Magic specifically; this is a corruption of the very old Elven word VELARSHEE) (“Ssh-EE” or “Shh-REE”)
Finally, IYILITAR (“ILL-i-tar”) was a unigender equivalent to Coronal in elder days, but is nigh-forgotten today
And from AJA, on the REALMS-L:-
quote:
King/Queen and Lord/Lady are commonly used by the elves (i.e., Queen
Amlaruil).

Also, from the _Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves supplement_:
"None of the local rulers can claim the title of Coronal....but they
have a variety of titles; the most common among the smaller colonies is
the use of the settlement name or clan name as the ruler's title (i.e.,
"the Alusiil of Alusiil Grove," or "the Vispasial of Clan Vispasial, ruler
of Bhaasoraen").

And, from the footnotes in Krash's excellent Timeline of the North:
The term "Laranla" ("Laranlor" in the masculine) is translated as
"Regal Lady/Lord" and denotes a queen/king of a vassal or minor elven
realm where its ruler does not warrant the term "Coronal".

I could also see them using informal titles such as "Lord Speaker" or
"Revered Elder."

Hope that helps,

-AJA

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2009 :  09:09:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks oh mighty Sage...that is very handy indeedm hmmm especially Iyilitar....my mind is just hitting top gear...hmmmmm... :-)

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000