Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your favorite realmsian magic item
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:08:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't possibly pick a favorite.

El's pipe does come close though. Its just so out-of-the-ordinary, unlike Khelben's staff, which while cool, is still just another staff.

Originality always gets extra points in my book.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:15:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dagger of Sounding from (2e) PHBR2/Complete Thieves, a magical spy telescope with Clairaudience, and a pocket full of caltrops with Continual Darkness cast on them. No reason in particular.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:21:21  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take the Candle of Invocation ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  18:15:12  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

So what would the effect be if say farming commoner with a pitchfork #3 found a Nether Scroll and he manged to read it somehow? Phenomenal Cosmic Power (gain 20 free levels of sorcerer?)?

I figure that situation qualifies the farmer into becoming a 'wild mage.' Though instead of being a student of wild magic, the farmer is more a product of it, be it willingly or reluctantly!

Heh, thanks for answering this one year pending question.
I agree this would be the most fun option. A true rags to riches story could unfold about such a character. A farmer-mage's motivations in the stale game of intrigue between archmages in Fearun would make for an awesome tale.

If someone is interested in reading a story like that I recommend picking up Karen Miller's the Kingmaker/Kingbreaker duology, the Innocent Mage and the Awakened Mage. A very well written and funny tale about the fisherman Asher who discovers he can wield the same magics as the long time invaders royal bloodline.

_____

Glad that Volker rezzed this scroll. Quite nice to see these new favorites.

Elminsters pipe is an example of the simple and elegant "household" magic item. Another household magic item you could find scattered around realmsian homes could be a "Broom of Dancing" or a "Decanter of Endless Water". The latter I mentioned in passing during my Chessenta campaign, as an open and discarded decanter was the sole cause of the existance of a huge marsh near Cimbar.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  23:01:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The farmer-magic idea reminds me of a Dragonlance tale. I can't recall the title.

The tale involves a gully dwarf obtaining (stealing) some of Raistlin's spell books/scrolls and burning them off one after another while pretending to be a powerful wizard. Until, through absolute incompetence, a planar Gate opens and Very Bad Things start to happen. Fortunately, Raistlin arrives just in time, fixes the magical mess, reclaims his stuff, and delivers a winning smile and a happy ending (instead of unhesitantly blasting the foul thieving runt into dust). Assuming I haven't remembered the details incorrectly.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  07:01:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a favorite, but I find it quite interesting: Thakoril's Seat. To trap and make vulnerable any powerful and almost impregnable being surely has a unique appeal...

quote:

Originally posted by Bladewind

If someone is interested in reading a story like that I recommend picking up Karen Miller's the Kingmaker/Kingbreaker duology, the Innocent Mage and the Awakened Mage. A very well written and funny tale about the fisherman Asher who discovers he can wield the same magics as the long time invaders royal bloodline.

Hmm, they're actually in my LNTR (List of Novels To Read). I already bought them, together with The Prodigal Mage. After Darkvision, they're next.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  20:31:35  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm partial to Spellblades. +2 weapon (typically longsword or short sword), provides immunity to one spell which can be redirected at the caster or stored for later discharge. I originally read about them in the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Great item for mid-level adventuring.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  21:16:48  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's many magical items that I love, but one that suddenly jumped out as a favourite, on the strength of Elaine Cunningham's writing: the Singing Sword!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  21:19:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Eversmoking pipe... What els??
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  02:57:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The darkswords are cool, too. Cut through almost anything - even the hardest and highly enchanted metal.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  03:18:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khazidhea(sp?) was a great weapon, too! Does anyone know what ever happened to it? Last I recall, it was in the hands of that one drow From the Hunter's Blades books, but I don't know if he has lost it since, or if he still has it.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  03:27:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevron's necklace - the one where he stored demon spirits - is pretty much nifty. Though sometimes an annoyance when it 'talks' at the moment when you desire silence.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  05:05:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You won't find it in any published Realms source, but... the Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  05:50:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You won't find it in any published Realms source, but... the Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5.

But didn't you have the Harp of the Singing Moderator?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  06:34:42  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over on Marvel, I used to use the Mod's Missile of Nuking +5, LOL!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  06:52:23  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always dug the paraphanalia of the Night King: The Fangs and Sangraal of Orbakh. Such cool stuff.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  11:48:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
dennis:
Nevron's necklace - the one where he stored demon spirits - is pretty much nifty. Though sometimes an annoyance when it 'talks' at the moment when you desire silence.
It seems like most items of significant power come equipped with a cantankerous personality. If you think having an overly garrulous necklace is bad, just wait until you also find a helmet that sulks and preens for attention, then a braggadocious sword that dreams of glory and garumba ... and then the lot of them constantly drag your poor character into their endless bickering. Or they gravely insult the king's talking shoes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  20:52:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

quote:
dennis:

It seems like most items of significant power come equipped with a cantankerous personality.

Having a personality makes them considerably interesting, albeit betimes doubly irritating.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Oct 2010 20:54:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000